Type 1 Rights at work.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just had one of those meetings at work because I’ve hit a trigger with my sickness record. I had a chest infection and was off for a fortnight with ketones. Other days have been neuropathy flare ups ad I’m not on medication yet ( trying all of the other options first .) I’ve been type 1 for 43 years and was told today that a first aider would need to have a box of glucose for my ‘fits.’ An I right to be upset? I know it’s health and safety/duty of care blah blah but I’ve never had a hypo that needed help since I was about 8 and I now feel like the spotlight is on me in case I have a ‘funny do.’ I’m also epileptic so I get that I might be classed as a risk but I feel as an independent 50 year old I’ve been stripped of my pride I know I’ll never use this service as I still have hypo awareness, it’s just I don’t want to feel different and that everyone has to know. It’s taken me right back to being different at school and asking the school nurse for a Marie biscuit ! Am I overreacting? X

Reactions: Bon83

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @conniecar ,

I'm just posting to offer consolation. Looking at your profile. We're born & remember diabetes in the same era.. I was diagnosed on my 8th. & have hit the half century.
These sick days do trigger these meetings & employers do (or should.) attempt "reasonable adjustments at work."
There may have been an assessment on your diabetic condition & a misconception (in the "PC" machine.) that they feel more should be set up to help you in the unlikely event of a hypo..?

We live the life. But employers sometimes are just acting out of both parties invested interests...

Just to add, my time off these days are primarily due to increasing appointments. I grab them with both hands. Between my employer & I, we both take it on the chin. No gripe. If need be, I make up as much of the hours as poss..

Oddly, my wife works in the managment sector & is involved in this sickness leave process. Her aproach? (We just chatted on the subject.) a mutual understanding & support to,the employee to structure progression..
"Whilst ensuring everyone treated equally." ( Edited to add correction by my wife.) ;)

I'll tag in @Brunneria , who I believe works in a similar profession with this respect?

Please don't "overreact," take a step back.. :)

Last edited:

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @conniecar ,

I'm just posting to offer consolation. Looking at your profile. We're born & remember diabetes in the same era.. I was diagnosed on my 8th. & have hit the half century.
These sick days do trigger these meetings & employers do (or should.) attempt "reasonable adjustments at work."
There may have been an assessment on your diabetic condition & a misconception (in the "PC" machine.) that they feel more should be set up to help you in the unlikely event of a hypo..?

We live the life. But employers sometimes are just acting out of both parties invested interests...

Just to add, my time off these days are primarily due to increasing appointments. I grab them with both hands. Between my employer & I, we both take it on the chin. No gripe. If need be, I make up as much of the hours as poss..

Oddly, my wife works in the managment sector & is involved in this sickness leave process. Her aproach? (We just chatted on the subject.) a mutual understanding & support to,the employee to structure progression..
"Whilst ensuring everyone treated equally." ( Edited to add correction by my wife.) ;)

I'll tag in @Brunneria , who I believe works in a similar profession with this respect?

Please don't "overreact," take a step back.. :)

Thank you for taking the time to reply, it’s really helpful. I work in a school and I was put in the category of a 12 year old boy we have who’s out of control and also has adhd. I think I’ll speak to hr next week and thank them for their concern but my hypo awareness is intact, and as I’m not 12 I self manage as I hate to be hypo publicly . They aren’t qualified to treat me and get it potentially wrong, they should just ring 999 like they would for anyone else who was seemingly ‘normal !’ It’s been handled clumsily at best. Thank you x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for taking the time to reply, it’s really helpful. I work in a school and I was put in the category of a 12 year old boy we have who’s out of control and also has adhd. I think I’ll speak to hr next week and thank them for their concern but my hypo awareness is intact, and as I’m not 12 I self manage as I hate to be hypo publicly . They aren’t qualified to treat me and get it potentially wrong, they should just ring 999 like they would for anyone else who was seemingly ‘normal !’ It’s been handled clumsily at best. Thank you x

Weirdly, again. I've worked I schools many years ago as the "support team." For many years in whatever job role I've had the eceptions when hypo in the presence of colleagues & they've been none the wiser as I've put myself every straight?
But then.. I've seen non D workmates seriously lose the "plot" in my working experience...
I myself have supported managers & collegues with other conditions in their role.

My current job in engineering, the first aid guy threw a bit of a "hissy" fit on realising I was T1. I enlightened him that we've worked back to back already & he's never noticed... "In the unlikely event of the roof caving in & if don't get out? Tell the emergency services I'm. Insulin dependant if I am unfortunate to cut my hand? You're first on the list for a bandaid...." ;):)

It works both ways... Hopefully you can find a mutual resolution. Stay strong & calm.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Weirdly, again. I've worked I schools many years ago as the "support team." For many years in whatever job role I've had the eceptions when hypo in the presence of colleagues & they've been none the wiser as I've put myself every straight?
But then.. I've seen non D workmates seriously lose the "plot" in my working experience...
I myself have supported managers & collegues with other conditions in their role.

My current job in engineering, the first aid guy threw a bit of a "hissy" fit on realising I was T1. I enlightened him that we've worked back to back already & he's never noticed... "In the unlikely event of the roof caving in & if don't get out? Tell the emergency services I'm. Insulin dependant if I am unfortunate to cut my hand? You're first on the list for a bandaid...." ;):)

It works both ways... Hopefully you can find a mutual resolution. Stay strong & calm.

Love it! We bleed just like the rest of the population and as you’ll know in schools, there’s so much Rescue Remedy being hurled around to cope with stress interesting to hear your experiences Jaylee x

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just had one of those meetings at work because I’ve hit a trigger with my sickness record. I had a chest infection and was off for a fortnight with ketones. Other days have been neuropathy flare ups ad I’m not on medication yet ( trying all of the other options first .) I’ve been type 1 for 43 years and was told today that a first aider would need to have a box of glucose for my ‘fits.’ An I right to be upset? I know it’s health and safety/duty of care blah blah but I’ve never had a hypo that needed help since I was about 8 and I now feel like the spotlight is on me in case I have a ‘funny do.’ I’m also epileptic so I get that I might be classed as a risk but I feel as an independent 50 year old I’ve been stripped of my pride I know I’ll never use this service as I still have hypo awareness, it’s just I don’t want to feel different and that everyone has to know. It’s taken me right back to being different at school and asking the school nurse for a Marie biscuit ! Am I overreacting? X
I work in the public sector - I'm type 1 and I have never allowed my employer to witness any form of weakness on my part, in case they use it as ammunition against me! I have friends who have been bullied out of their positions because of perceived mental health weakness or other emotional issues. The meeting isn't due to diabetes it is because employers have a desire to whittle out loose wood. Public services particularly are stretched beyond breaking point so they target any possible weakness. Getting in early in case they need to show a case for incapability. I know I seem paranoid but my advice is- make sure you're in a union then go to HR - people survive by kicking up a fuss and not being intimidated

Reactions: conniecar