Sausages and burgers

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Having been diagnosed nearly 2 years ago with type 2 I’ve got my HBA1C down to 5.8.
Food at the start was difficult and did get a little boring but now even things like burgers and sausages, if you make the right choice are only 2g per portion. With salad and maybe a few low sugar/salt baked beans a simple meal albeit junk food!
I know I am “lucky” I being diagnosed early but after losing 4 stone in a year with a low carb diet am no longer afraid of eating in restaurants.
My worst big these days is under 7 and normally in the mid 5’s.
Does anyone know if the odd Indian meal would harm?

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Having been diagnosed nearly 2 years ago with type 2 I’ve got my HBA1C down to 5.8.
Food at the start was difficult and did get a little boring but now even things like burgers and sausages, if you make the right choice are only 2g per portion. With salad and maybe a few low sugar/salt baked beans a simple meal albeit junk food!
I know I am “lucky” I being diagnosed early but after losing 4 stone in a year with a low carb diet am no longer afraid of eating in restaurants.
My worst big these days is under 7 and normally in the mid 5’s.
Does anyone know if the odd Indian meal would harm?

Big = bg - predictive typing!

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indian can be ok depending on your choices, I usually go for tandoori or dry curry with a paneer saag side or fried ocra - one place we go to now and then does a fab tandoori mixed grill :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If you enjoy Asian food Sahil of HeadbangersKitchen on YouTube has some fantastic recipes (low carb of course). But as you are asking for Eat Outs I think the odd lowish carb Indian meal would be acceptable as long as you avoid the obvious culprits and test. Enjoy!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I avoid rice and bread. Also miss the masala as sometimes they have sugar or anything labelled sweet. I tend to have a butter chicken and a mushroom bajee with no rise at all on 2hrs. But I’m a wimp and if I could handle spice I’m sure I’d have more options.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I shall have too! Is the balti sauce ok?
It’s definitely worth trying. On the supermarket versions balti is usually one of the better ones. Test before and after same as any new food.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have a chicken madras and find that has minimal effect on BG. I then order myself a couple of meaty sides like lamb tikka and king prawn starters - the serious meat overload fills me up no end and makes me not miss the naan as the extra meat helps soak up the sauce. Know some people’s BG is sensitive to too much protein so as already said do test whatever you try but hopefully you should find a combination that satisfies your Indian takeout need but is within your limits for control too

Reactions: Barrowbakers

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I love a good vindaloo. I'm good with it as long as I go easy on the rice and bread. for some reason dahl doesn't seem to have too great an impact. Guess we're all different. If I do have some bread then half a roti only nudges me up a little. I can live with that since it is not often so the odd 8 or 9 every few months shouldn't kill me. Best to test with your meter and that will give you a good idea.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going to "Five Guys Burgers and Fries" for lunch today. We usually get the "Little Hamburger" loaded and on lettuce instead of a bun, so carbs are approximately 50. Indian food like tandoori chicken is fine and the real yogurt with lemon or orange peel slices is great, but rice or naan bread is a big no-no for me. Thinking of Indian food reminds me of South African spiced beef samosas, which my brother-in-law used to make, they were absolutely delicious! Better stop thinking of food and get back to work...

Reactions: Traceymac23

jclare

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Love vindaloo and Madras. Only very slight effect on bgs thankfully plus a side of chana dhal. The only bread I can have without any problems is Lidl low GI roll or Warburton low GI brown bread. At least I can have a sandwich!