What needle length...?

Craig1978

Another interesting thing that came out of my appointment today was the change from 8mm to 5mm needles for my Mixpens. I've gone from 12mm, to 8mm, now to 5mm. It seems the advice changes far too often!

I get the use of longer needles if you are, maybe, overweight, but I am not at all in my case. I've experienced issues in the past by pain/discomfort injecting straight into muscle, but try to minimise that by using 'fatty' sites.

Has anyone else had this recent advice of change in needle length?

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
The recommendation to go to 4mm has been around for about 3-4 years that I’m aware of. I’ve just gone to 4 from 8mm only because to had a large supply of 8mm that I wanted to use up.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I use 4mm also, but was never given any advice.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used 12mm when I was diagnosed in 1994 and now I am down to the 4mm and I done it all by myself as I wasn't told anything about it by my DSN or the GP or anyone else I just found out about it by looking on the internet and the information leaflet you sometimes get in the boxes and being type 2 and being on insulin for the rest of your life as the same as a type 1 you only need to ask and you get your answers quick on here but I find that the smaller needle you don't get much pain and you can inject into fat and muscle but that is up to you.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Same here I was initially using 8mm, now 4mm when I inject which is rare as I now use a pump.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I started to get unusual swellings using 8mm needles and have been changed to 4mm. Swellings have disappeared but this may be linked to brand.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With the change in needle length has come a change in how to use them - straight in, no pinching any more.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I used to use 4mm for my regular injections and saved my remaining 12mm for intramuscular shots when I wanted a fast correction.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I can remember when I started injecting (48 years ago) the needles were 1 1/2" long lol.....Before I went on the pump I was using 4mm needles. I would say the 4mm are the most common needles in use now