Social lunch and dinner situations - How do you manage?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Be aware - I took several dishes along to various gatherings over last Christmas, and twice the dishes were empty before I got to the table having been playing music for singing or dancing.
It was quite pleasing in a way, but I ate before going out, otherwise I'd have been rather dismal.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you had an allergy to, say, peanuts you would decline the satay sauce without hesitation rather than go into anaphylactic shock and nothing on Earth would convince you otherwise.
Carbs are clearly not quite as dramatic but as far as I am concerned I treat them the same way, it's easier for me to have a rule and stick to it than do different things at different times. Your friends will learn and accommodate your new diet and everyone one else can go jump if they don't like it. Others will disagree so in the end it comes down to what you feel is the best for you.
Having a true allergy to peanuts, gluten or other things would be a totally different situation and can be life threatening so of course friends and family would need to know that in case it happened. Eating a few more carbs than usual when eating out occasionally is not going to kill us.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having a true allergy to peanuts, gluten or other things would be a totally different situation and can be life threatening so of course friends and family would need to know that in case it happened. Eating a few more carbs than usual when eating out occasionally is not going to kill us.

I take your point but to be fair I had tried to explain that this was how 'I' think about it, that they are not the same, and that that is what 'I' do whilst accepting that other people have a different take on it and that everyone needs to make their own decisions.
I thought it an analogy which might help people make that decision, if only to understand that they have the choice and are not bound by any social niceties.
I do not expect anyone to do what I do or think like I think and didn't suggest that anyone should. I hope that I have now clarified my post.

Reactions: HSSS

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had a bad experience recently when a friend who'd previously been supportive, and understood what I can eat better than most decided it was too much extra work - instead of letting me know so I could take something to eat she tried to pressure me saying as my blood sugars were down now I could relax and eat rice, etc.
Usually I make up some quick eggy muffins and pack them in my handbag! 2 eggs will make 6 small buns - add a tablespoon of cream, herbs and black pepper and beat - then put about 5 g of grated strong cheese in each bun and pour the egg mix over. ie 30g of cheese for two eggs. Cook for 12-15 min at 190 (fan 170?).
I like them slightly brown on top.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy and Shas3

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Eating extra carbs if that raises your blood sugar risks causing permanent damage to the nervous system - eye damage and peripheral neuropathy. Serious enough for me to say no.

Reactions: Shas3

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating a few more carbs than usual when eating out occasionally is not going to kill us.
Not there and then but for some of us it’s a slippery slope creating cravings and an attitude of just once turning into just a few times and then daily and back to a “normal” diet. A slow death rather than an anaphylactic one if that’s the case.

Each to their own and I’m happy for anyone to make different choices but why should I compromise my health for other people’s intolerance of my choices. I’m not telling them what to eat or affecting them in anyway. I’ll make the best choices I can in these situations and make simple swaps and get on with it as discreetly as appropriate.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating extra carbs if that raises your blood sugar risks causing permanent damage to the nervous system - eye damage and peripheral neuropathy. Serious enough for me to say no.

I doubt you have any proof for that statement, but congratulations on your “supportive” post.
Errr isn’t that what type 2 does uncontrolled? Maybe not in one meal, but over time. I’m sure there is plenty of proof of that. Nothing unsupportive about the post, just a different viewpoint.

Olwin11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night a friend invited us for dinner. Not a huge gathering, just 5 families. I was struggling to find anything that is low carb. I didn’t want to eat anything but didn’t want to look rude. Ended up eating a bit of this and that. Woke up with 7.2 this morning which is not as bad i was fearing but definitely not what i want.

So how does one manage these delicate situations? I can’t stop socializing completely!! Nor do i want to stand out like a sore thumb.

How do you manage? Any suggestions?
I know whenever I go out for an Indian dinner, I usually have chicken tikka (no sauce) with dry roast veg, request no added sauce, it works a charm

Reactions: Shas3 and Dr Snoddy

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s right.. i think in slightly larger gathering nobody cares what we choose. But when it is slightly smaller (say 3 or 4 couples) and a sit down dinner it may not go that unnoticed... at least that’s what happened to me. So i guess for smaller settings just letting the host know beforehand maybe better. And that chocolate and cream sound brilliant. Does cream stay good outside fridge?? Never had the need to carry around (till now!) ....so, am confused!!
I am eating very low carb, so every gramme counts for me. Coffee with double cream instead of milk is one of my favourite treats, and also my solution to the problem of eating out in restaurants/cafés, as it gives me something luxurious to consume while others are eating their high carb meals. That way I don't sit there as a fasting skeleton at the feast and we can all feel comfortable. I totally agree with all who have said one's unorthodox eating behaviour will almost certainly pass unnoticed. I have been amazed to find every time so far that I can go through my little ritual of getting out my waterproof tub of cream and adding it to my coffee absolutely without remark from my companions. Café owners never object to my consuming my nuts and bits of cheese at the same time. I can see a small sit down dinner party setting in a private home would be more tricky.

Since agitating cream is the traditional method for obtaining butter, walking miles with my cream in my rucsac does tend to thicken it. I find that keeping it as cool as possible helps slow that process down. I bought a small lunch bag with tiny cold pack in which to transport my cream in warmer weather.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Over time it may do however I don’t think the occasional spike will cause issues.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make up some quick eggy muffins
Are these JUST egg, cream and cheese, with seasoning? And could I cook them in the microwave? Despite my advanced age, I am not a confident cook so I need very precise instructions, please!