How were you diagnosed

rhalluk

Tired all the time, Moody, Irritable, Thirsty, Peeing alot (Work Nights!) tested on a lad at work's glucose machine and was 29 he said blimy thats high so went to Doctors Hba1c of 103. 7 months later Hba1c of 40, still tired moody and irritable though! (I work Nights!)

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Lost a stone in weight unexpectedly, and noticed my eyesight became very blurry whilst playing badminton. Had terrible cravings for sugary drinks that I had never had before. Blood test of 33.3 and hba1c 12.3 in old money.

Remedy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told by a physician, who had previously ‘mentioned’ I was pre-diabetic. I wish she had been more informative.

I knew very little about diabetes. Was young and naive. I didn’t pay much attention. Soon I was being prescribed medication and was told I was full-blown type 2 diabetic. Sure wish I’d done my research before the diagnosis. :(

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Seems as though diagnosis was a surprise for most people

Denial, poor info from healthcare professionals, lack of awareness? Must be a reason it sneaks up on so many of us?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Denial, poor info from healthcare professionals, lack of awareness? Must be a reason it sneaks up on so many of us?

Yeah, so I was diagnosed out of the blue, slim and no outward classic symptoms. It is not all down to denial and ignorance. There is an element of luck (?) In how, when and why one is diagnosed.

Reactions: Flora123

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
just curious about any weird and wonderful diagnosis scenarios?

For my part I was diagnosed seconds before a big toe amputation due to rampant infection of open wound. The bright spark anaesthetic realised that 12 hrs Nbm for the operation afforded chance for fasting test.

T2 confirmed to me whilst being stretchered back to the ward.

Lost a toe but gained a metformin script!!!!!!

July 2018
Just owing to a blood test to check for irregularities in response to higher blood pressure readings.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff

I knew. I had all the symptoms.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.

We don't seem to get ideal information from health care professionals after we're diagnosed so why should be get it before? I've been on my journey for just 4 months yet it's already glaring obvious to me that this is preventable with the right information.

M

Member496333

What we really need is 5-yearly - or even annual - insulin screening recommendations, but for reasons best left for another discussion, I think that this is very unlikely to happen in my lifetime.

Reactions: Flora123

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We don't seem to get ideal information from health care professionals after we're diagnosed so why should be get it before? I've been on my journey for just 4 months yet it's already glaring obvious to me that this is preventable with the right information.
I agree. I think the early signs are often there but simply dont get picked up by the individual or their GP. I spent several years in the Isle of Man where they seemed to spend a bit more and spend a bit more time on me there and they were quite informative, looking back. (Just didn’t subscribe to LCHF as a solution at that time). It was quite an interesting parallel NHS.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No symptoms and not overweight I found out after a routine annual blood test BG was about 7.3 after 2 blood tests two weeks a apart so was told that was T2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I went to my GP for a sick note for uni following a nasty dose of gastric flu and came out with type one diabetes...

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My feet felt like the ends were wrapped with gaffer tape, for about a year, but it would come and go. Just thought I had tired feet due to being on my feet all day.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Woke up completely normal , ended up in A@E 2 hours later where they told me I was diabetic (being high as a kite on morphine I kept arguing with them telling them I wasn’t), in the end the nurse just said ignore her she is high and they kept digging then diagnosed me with kidney stones. Oh and during this severe dehydration and wouldn’t let me leave till they had given 2 bags of water on a drip!

Drs on the Monday, blood test on Friday confirmed diabetes by the next Friday!

aard

blood test for something else. Read my results online with note attached saying contact nurse and phoned(my surgery assumes patient will ring them otherwise they do nothing). They even put note on to say patient informed before I read the results. They never inform patient!

Anyway two days later see nurse, no longer diabetic! Taking a second test next month to confirm!!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It kind of slowly dawned on me it could well be diabetes over a period of about three months when I was eating masses, but losing weight, and also had for thrush for the first and only time in my life.

In the last bit of that time, I'd been putting the tired/sleepy/drinking loads down to working hard, end of term, very hot weather.

It came to a "You've got to sort this - now!" when I put on a T-shirt which had been tight on me the previous year, but completely swamped me that year. So, I was marched off to our workplace nurses, (who'd already suspected this) who presented me with the meter to test - I was 18.4 pre-lunch.

GPs nurses were a bit unbelieving when I marched in, announced I was sure I had diabetes and what did I have to do to get diagnosed? They took blood just to keep me quiet, though they did acknowledge I'd lost a lot of weight since I'd registered there 5 years previously. It all went a bit more chaotic the next day when the Hba1c came back at 144, which was immediately repeated as they thought it was wrong, for a 140. (I only discovered that 18 months ago! I knew about the 140, though.)

GP 1 told me T2 and on being told a parent had been diagnosed T1 in his 60s told me I must have misheard as "Adults don't get T1". GP 2, 3 days later, told me it was all my own fault for being obese (I'd lost 4 stone pre-T2 diagnosis and went on to lose another 5 stone). Luckily, I had to move practice that week, as I was also moving house - if I'd not tried on that T-shirt, this would've been picked up on the New Patient check, I guess.

Type 2 I remained, as an official diagnosis, until walking 8 - 10 miles a day, diet and meds, which had worked really well, stopped working 18 months ago.

GP 3 then told me I had to expect things to get progressively worse, plus I couldn't be doing enough with diet and exercise.
Luckily for me, Splendid GP turned up, believed everything I'd been saying repeatedly for three years about not trying to lose weight, about eating only what I was saying I was eating, and started digging into my history much further and deeper. Then referred me to the hospital earlier than he should've done, as he'd decided I'd had enough at the point the Hba1c was spiralling into treble figures again. I now refuse to see any other GP.

Clinic was where the LADA diagnosis came from.

Koalajane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to a gynaecology appointment with a sample of urine. Gynaecologist said there was sugar in my urine and sent me for a blood test. That evening I received a phone call from out of hours doctors telling me my blood levels were 19 and could I test and let them know. My husband is type 2 and had a meter. My sugars had not gone down and I was requested to make an urgent appointment with my doctor the next day which I did. After a 30 minute appointment I was put on gliclazide, which after 7 months I was taken off due to hba1c being 39. I should have expected it as I had been on steroids for 3 months which dpspike your sugars.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Suspected heart issue.

Test said fine..bloods said T2D.
Win/lose me thinks.

But here saved me.

Advise from doctors poor, here much better.
Ditched EATWELL plate..dipped a toe into LCHF...weeks went by, i stripped off and dived right in.

Controllable..?
I think so..time will tell..but LCHF
Certainly has delayed progression.
HBA1c headed for remission, so for me.
Definitely a better choice then what else was offered.

andromache

What we really need is 5-yearly - or even annual - insulin screening recommendations, but for reasons best left for another discussion, I think that this is very unlikely to happen in my lifetime.
Seriously though, does anyone understand why GPs don't usually bother with checking insulin, even in people whose glucose metabolism is obviously in bad shape? It seems so obvious, but I never have heard anyone try to explain why they have an insulin blind-spot, particularly when so much of their drug budget is being swallowed up by their hyper-insulinaemic patients. Not to mention the shocking cost in terms of people's health and well-being.