What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.7 today. Half a lidl roll with cheesy scrambled eggs today for breaky. A real treat.

Beautiful weather for mothers day. Massive hugs to those who no longer have theirs. Enjoy celebrating fir those who have.

12 years to the day since I lost my lovely lovely mum.

My social media post. I'm not typing this lot again Haha.

Such a poignant day today. Its mothers day and the day we lost our dear beloved mum 12 years ago after a short illness. She suffered for years with Ill health but was taken from us quickly in the end. What a woman she was. Everyone that knew her loved her. She was beautiful inside and out. Never without a smile. Always thinking of others. So caring. Very loving. No just wasnt in her vocabulary. A fantastic listener and giver of great advice. Loved a party. First to arrive and turned the lights out on the way out. Missed every single day. Never a day goes by when we don't think of you. I'm trying to be the best granny. Just as you were to our 2, but they are massive shoes to fill. Love you mum .

Posted 2 years ago. But i want to share again. And again....and again...

Today I want to talk about my mum. It is the 10th anniversary of her death. I can't actually believe it's 10 years. Those years have flown by. Never a day goes by without me thinking about her. Not only me but many people as so many people loved her. She was truly amazing. A little about her. She was born in Dublin 84 years ago. One of 13 brothers and sisters (although 4 died in childhood ). Money was scarce and it used to be first up best dressed!!!! Her dad was orphaned at the age of 8 and had to work from that age just to survive. And he worked very hard. Her mum was accomplished and could not only read and write but she could also play the piano. She taught my grandad to read and write and also to play the piano! There was always music in the Peate household. Life was tough but good times were had. Mum's first job was in a rock factory called Lemons and she gave half her wages up to help. When mum was a teenager she met a man who my granny didn't like because 'he never takes his hands out of his pockets!!' Arguments followed. My mum ended up leaving home and crossing the Irish Sea on the ferry (my granny shouted after her 'you will be back on the next boat!!!' This didn't happen!) to her older sister Lylie who had found work in a large hotel in Blackpool. My mum got her first job at the Metropole hotel. She lived in. She spent the whole of her first wage at the Pleasure Beach! It wasn't long before she met my dad who was head barman at the Derby arms pub (now libertys). They fell in love. Their wedding was small. Just the 2 of them and their witnesses as they had little money. They came back to their room after the wedding and toasted bread by the fire. But they were happy. She worked for many years for Yvonne and Solly Goldberg in a small b and b on Springfield road. She loved it. But it wasn't easy. She was a very hard worker and always went the extra mile. Her and dad lived in. She sent money home to her mum every month and visited when she could afford to. Mum and dad tried a long time for a baby. Eventually I decided to make a show and 10 years later came my sister. They couldn't have been happier. But my dad's health wasn't good and there were many struggles for them. Sadly my dad died at the age of 54. It was a massive shock and unexpected (heart attack). My mum was only 50. She was heartbroken. But her strength was incredible and she got through this awful time. I was 21 and my sister only 11. She never looked at another man (although they looked at her). She was an amazing mum to us. She was the best listener and gave brilliant advice all through the years. She always had the answers. At 24 I met and married Eric who she loved like her own. She was such a big part of our lives. We had our 2 and she looked after them whilst I returned to work. Also my sister's 2 children. She doted on all her grandchildren. Her health had deteriorated but she always said 'the children keep me going'. No wasnt in her vocabulary. She was a real family person. She had great relationships with her sisters and brothers too. She was particularly close to her sister Bernie. They were each others rocks through the many difficult times life can throw at you. They were always on the phone and wrote to each other every week. Her 70th suprise birthday party was so heartwarming. She could not believe how many people were there and how far people had travelled to be there with her (even Canada). 'All these people are here for me???' It was one of the only times I saw mum cry. Mum's health deteriorated over the next 4 years. Sadly she lost a short battle with cancer on this day 10 years ago. I will never forget the boosts my cousin's visits gave her most weekends she travelled from Edinburgh with her Drs bag. And also the almost weekly visits from her loving sister Bernie who flew in from Dublin. And my daughter who decided not to live in at university so she could be there to help mum who had by then been registered blind. Today i find myself here in her home town of Dublin. It wasn't planned. We come every year to visit family around this time. It feels very special that we are here today of all days. My auntie is going to bring out the photos later and we will talk ourselves silly about the good old days when we had mum in our lives. She may be gone but she will never ever ever be forgotten. Love and miss you mum. On a lighter note i think i can smell irish bacon and sausage cooking xxx
Every sympathy to you. Part of our loved ones lasts with us. All the love, warmth, and shared happy days, for ever.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.2 this Sunday morning.

I want to do an experiment. Last night I forgot to take my Metformin at suppertime, so didn't take it 'til bedtime. I was also hungry when I went to bed, but determined not to eat anything.

I woke up about 6 hours later, not hungry, and with a lower FBG than I've had on recent mornings. I don't know if it was a result of taking the Metformin later, or not eating anything late last night, but I want to experiment with both ideas. I wish I'd logged the other nights I took Metformin late, but will start logging tonight, and try to see if there's a pattern of late Metformin - lower FBG; or no late-night snack - lower FBG.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.2 this Sunday morning.

I want to do an experiment. Last night I forgot to take my Metformin at suppertime, so didn't take it 'til bedtime. I was also hungry when I went to bed, but determined not to eat anything.

I woke up about 6 hours later, not hungry, and with a lower FBG than I've had on recent mornings. I don't know if it was a result of taking the Metformin later, or not eating anything late last night, but I want to experiment with both ideas. I wish I'd logged the other nights I took Metformin late, but will start logging tonight, and try to see if there's a pattern of late Metformin - lower FBG; or no late-night snack - lower FBG.
I look forward as i have been struggling with high numbers when i wake up.. and quite stable bs numbers after breakfast till evening. When i moved my met500mg close to bedtime i did not see any change on morning numbers, but mine was slow release.. not sure if that makes a difference

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@ianpspurs @SaskiaKC @Emma_369 @trick60 @dogslife @PenguinMum @karen8967 @Freema @philchap1 @ziggy_w Thank you all so much for your birthday wishes there! Had a decent and relaxed day for once, ended up devouring half a chicken instead of cake and came out with a nice 4.6 today on the FBG level.

I really do hope that you all had a good day yourselves tomorrow and that things improve too! Also happy mother's day to all the Mum's and Grand-Mum's out there too!

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
2.8 for me hypo treated and now 4.3.have a good day everyone and to all you mothers out there happy mothers day my two sons are taking me out for lunch cant wait
Good lord I am glad that you got it sorted out quickly!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy mother's day mums of the forum.

FBG this am 7.0...Missus not too good
So eary to bed for her....I entertained myself with a good book, four beers and so e street food...all nice but late to bed, and early rise ..so win/lose ..Lose/ win..meh.

Great day..run to further north, Israeli restaurant ..v nice good...local bread..NO SPIKE :D

Off to visit some older venues the wife's read about..nice.

Then new venue.after a week of curry etc
Nice to go Tex next..nachos n beef...YUM

9.8...ouch . But still yum.

And pic of the day

When you've been out on the tiles with mates..

and one or two over did it , there still our mates .init

cats on a bench.jpg

Attachments

• cats on a bench.jpg
    cats on a bench.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just checking in. @karen8967 hope you had a great lunch with your boys after that rude awakening. @Bubbsie glad you’re turning the corner...well done Harry and Churchill!
@jjraak hope Lauren feels better soon...sounds like another great evening...funny pic of cats but they are soooo skinny unlike the dogs. Maybe its just the breed.
I’ve had a nice lamb carvery lunch with eldest son and OH and cooking mini roast for youngest son when he arrives later. Also received a bottle of my current fave gin, Bloom. Well makes a change from blooms!;)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just checking in. @karen8967 hope you had a great lunch with your boys after that rude awakening. @Bubbsie glad you’re turning the corner...well done Harry and Churchill!
@jjraak hope Lauren feels better soon...sounds like another great evening...funny pic of cats but they are soooo skinny unlike the dogs. Maybe its just the breed.
I’ve had a nice lamb carvery lunch with eldest son and OH and cooking mini roast for youngest son when he arrives later. Also received a bottle of my current fave gin, Bloom. Well makes a change from blooms!;)

I agree with you about the cats; to me the dogs look kind of rangy too but I think with them it may be the breed. I once knew a barn manager who didn't want boarders to feed the barn cat because "if she's fed she won't hunt." Which just proved she knew nothing about cats. Maybe if these cats are fishermen's cats they get fed very well indeed and are just lean.

@jjraak that pic does look like the morning after the night before. I bet that just out of frame those cats' garbage cans are overflowing with mouse tails and empty milk bottles.

I hope your missus is feeling better now.

Reactions: HarryBeau

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@heavyd hope you dont get too worried about FBG I find it very hard to control but though I try hard to eatcarefully and LC my problem is I eat supper late because its the only time I catch up with my OH. Whats your eating day like?

Reactions: heavyd

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez just read your tribute to your mum which is just beautiful. She would be so proud of you and how you’ve tackled D and how you are helping others.
I lost my mum 3 years ago and similarly though her health was failing she went unexpectedly. I miss her every day though she was in Ireland we were very close and great friends. When the boys grew ip I went over every couple of months.The other day I was walking past EWM and saw something in the window and though she would really like that. I often posted a little surprise from that shop.

Dawnmc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sooo 5.7 this morning, 5.1 before dinner. We ordered kebab tray...No pitta. A mix of doner, kofte, lamb shish and chicken shish, with salad. All good, except....they sent a free 7" cheesy garlic bread. I fell off the wagon and scoffed it as it one of the most favourite things for me to eat and couldn't throw it in the bin!! I think the score in a while will be interesting

heavyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bleaching of skin and lies
@heavyd hope you dont get too worried about FBG I find it very hard to control but though I try hard to eatcarefully and LC my problem is I eat supper late because its the only time I catch up with my OH. Whats your eating day like?
Not too much worries. It goes up like that sometimes but I never expected it to go up to that level that was why I was a bit disappointed though I ate a little bit of high carbohydrates food previous day.