Type 1 Very high BG following surgery

Samwade1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I recently had keyhole surgery on my shoulder (4 days ago) and my BG has been uncontrollably high ever since. I’ve kept my basal insulin the same and usually work on a 1:1 QA ratio, which I’ve also continued to do. I don’t have ketones but my BG is rising inexplicably after every meal and even correction doses are nowhere near dealing with it.

For those that have completed DAFNE it’s usually the presence of ketones that would trigger “sick day rules” but I have done this yet as I’m ketone free.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, have you got any advice / suggestions?

Thanks! Sam

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all. I recently had keyhole surgery on my shoulder (4 days ago) and my BG has been uncontrollably high ever since. I’ve kept my basal insulin the same and usually work on a 1:1 QA ratio, which I’ve also continued to do. I don’t have ketones but my BG is rising inexplicably after every meal and even correction doses are nowhere near dealing with it.

For those that have completed DAFNE it’s usually the presence of ketones that would trigger “sick day rules” but I have done this yet as I’m ketone free.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, have you got any advice / suggestions?

Thanks! Sam

Hi, every time I’ve been operated I’ve needed more basal insulin and higher boles doses.

D

Deleted Account

I too have increased my basal following surgery ... and any illness ... as advised by my diabetes team.
When I had surgery, I increased basal by 40% for about 5 days.
This was easy to adjust and test with a pump.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You're ill, you're stressed. I would expect my insulin needs to go up under both circumstances.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Samwade1,
this is precisely why your DSN and doctor are part of your health team - so that you can contact them about this.
Ideally your DSN would have worked out a sick day plan with you or an after surgery plan for this very situation.
Please contact them for advice.
And that way you will have a plan for another occasion (but not wishing any further surgery on you )!!
Best Wishes:):):)