Type 2 What actually should happen when diagnosed please?

Devonmade

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meat
I was really poorly all February 2019 with a severe chest infection. I have fibromyalgia and asthma and always find it difficult to recover from infections so went back to GP. She suggested a few blood tests and luckily ticked the diabetes box. I then had a phone call telling me to attend the surgery urgently and it turned out I was diabetic. After the shock of that, I then asked the nurse when was the last time I was checked for diabetes and I was told in Sept 2017 I was at risk, but I wasn't told that. I feel angry that I wasn't given the correct advice then. Anyway, I have had my HBA1C done and its 65, due again in June. I am on Metformin ER. I had a pre-booked appt at the GP last week and was then randomly told I should be on 2 a day, which I didn't know. I was also told I should be on statins. My cholesterol has always been low and still is so I didn't understand, she said I should be as T2 can make you prone to heart attacks. I declined. I said I would rather wait for my next HBA1C result as I feel maybe my infection influenced the initial high level and maybe, just maybe, I am not really a 65 so not quite as bad as they thought. I have now been referred for a retinol screening and podiatry. What else should be happening please? I don't have any testing equipment and was told I didn't need it. I have found on here re Desmond courses but will enquire about that, a course would be really helpful.

I am just 61 yrs old and active, 2 horses, 2 dogs and working. Yes, I do need to shift some weight but am still a size 14
thoughts advice please? feeling confused but have lost over 9lbs so far.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, hope things improve for you. Hope the following helps you to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I was diagnosed when I was invited by my surgery for a free health check; hadn't seen the doctor for years apart from a few bone breaks; I too have horses, say no more!!!

I was just short of 70 and was gobsmacked to find I was diabetic, glucose of 18.6 and HbA1c of 10.4. I should have had loads of symptoms but had none; I was a biochemist and still working but had to give up as no eating and drinking in the lab and often didn't have time for my breaks so erratic eating and drinking.

That was four and a half years ago and sadly Desmond didn't help, 20 years out of date with their advice; hopefully will have improved by now! Once I had worked my notice I started researching on line and when I found the LCHF I slowly started to improve although there was no quick fix and I almost gave up many times as I could eat so little; just protein, fat (which I don't really like) and above ground veg. No fruit, carby veg etc. I loved fruit and really miss it.

I lost one and three quarter stone fairly quickly and as I wasn't overweight, I am now classed as "critically under weight" at 7 stone. I recently had a hip replacement and went down to six and a half stones so have had to eat carbs to stop losing more weight and am now back to 7 stone.

I am told I was probably diabetic for 8 - 10 years without knowing and was in danger of a stroke and/or heart attack. You haven't had it nearly that long so should respond quicker to LCHF. Feet and eye checks are routine for all diabetics so as long you are classed as you are classed as such you will be checked

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are lucky then it is perfectly possible to return to normal by eating a low carb diet.
Statins are prescribed because that is what drs seem to do, no matter what the starting point nor the consequences..
Why there should be any connection between diabetes and heart attacks - I'd be interested to learn. Maybe the indifference experienced is heart breaking.
To test your blood glucose you'll need to get your own meter, they can be got mail order, with cheap strips - I am sure the link is available on the forum.

Reactions: Devonmade
M

Member496333

It’s my understanding that diabetes does increase the risk of heart disease, but it’s also my understanding that statins don't reduce the risk of heart disease.

I believe the heart disease risk is linked to the coexisting condition of atherosclerosis associated with hyperinsulinemia and systemic inflammation, rather than diabetes per se. A surrogate marker of metabolic syndrome, if you will.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is quite possible your nasty infection throughout February had an effect on your HbA1c. It is common knowledge that when a body is fighting an infection the blood sugars will rise. However, you could still have been in the diabetic range even without the infection.

It looks like you have been put on the correct care pathway already. After diagnosis you should be given the opportunity to attend a course, whether it be DESMOND or X-Pert or one of the others, but there are long waiting lists for these. Just check with your surgery that your name has been put forward. The retinal eye screening and foot checks are annual. You should be having a review and further blood tests 3 months from your first and maybe referred to a nurse. Most GPs delegate Type 2 care to a nurse, and it is often the nurse that does the foot checks rather than a podiatrist. Depending how you go on at your 3 month review, further reviews and blood tests may continue at 3 months or move to 6 monthly or even annually. This is down to the surgery protocol.

Most T2s are told not to test as there is no need. This is just an excuse not to prescribe us the equipment as this costs money. We therefore self fund our own meters and test strips. Read round the forum and you will soon pick up how essential they are if you want to control this condition. You can see instantly what your food choices have done to your blood sugar levels and have the chance to change things. Otherwise you are working blind, with no knowledge of which foods are doing it to you. I urge you to buy one, and please be careful when doing so. Meters are cheap. Some are free. It is the test strips that cost the money and we need many thousands of them. Prices of strips vary from under £8 to £30 for 50 strips. So beware.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Devonmade and welcome to the forum!
First let me tag in @daisy1 for her useful info post.
I had a similar experience in that when I was diagnosed the dr said ‘oh I see you had a borderline result x number of years ago’ I was never told! However I soon realised that looking back wasn’t going to help, I needed to plan my future.
I take Metformin and that along with low carb eating and self testing has enabled me to lose a shed load of weight and get my HbA1c consistently in the non diabetic range.
If you decide you want to buy a meter let us know and we can advise you on options.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You don't need statins because you have diabetes. You should only be offered statins if your lipids ratios via a fasting test are not good; the total figure is not relevant. Diabetes will only possibly increase heart attack risk if it's uncontrolled. Make sure you have a low carb diet and beware outdated NHS diet advice advising high carb low fat. You need to keep the carbs down and have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Devonmade
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it both interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Devonmade

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meat
Hi, hope things improve for you. Hope the following helps you to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I was diagnosed when I was invited by my surgery for a free health check; hadn't seen the doctor for years apart from a few bone breaks; I too have horses, say no more!!!

I was just short of 70 and was gobsmacked to find I was diabetic, glucose of 18.6 and HbA1c of 10.4. I should have had loads of symptoms but had none; I was a biochemist and still working but had to give up as no eating and drinking in the lab and often didn't have time for my breaks so erratic eating and drinking.

That was four and a half years ago and sadly Desmond didn't help, 20 years out of date with their advice; hopefully will have improved by now! Once I had worked my notice I started researching on line and when I found the LCHF I slowly started to improve although there was no quick fix and I almost gave up many times as I could eat so little; just protein, fat (which I don't really like) and above ground veg. No fruit, carby veg etc. I loved fruit and really miss it.

I lost one and three quarter stone fairly quickly and as I wasn't overweight, I am now classed as "critically under weight" at 7 stone. I recently had a hip replacement and went down to six and a half stones so have had to eat carbs to stop losing more weight and am now back to 7 stone.

I am told I was probably diabetic for 8 - 10 years without knowing and was in danger of a stroke and/or heart attack. You haven't had it nearly that long so should respond quicker to LCHF. Feet and eye checks are routine for all diabetics so as long you are classed as you are classed as such you will be checked
thanks for that, makes me feel a bit better!

Devonmade

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meat