LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

LidiaS

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Brilliant! Well done for 'beating the system' same here, low carb for over two years, diabetes under control without drugs.

Reactions: Prem51

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes treats:

Homemade Mayonnese
47468201622_e0a87732b3_q.jpg

Homemade sugarfree raspberry jam
46869779651_6c15fbe406_q.jpg

Homemade sugarfree chocolate
39927222463_585bf44f87.jpg

Latest results

46593001385_b64eaf04de_q.jpg

Reactions: Prem51

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor mentioned 'eat healthy', but never had more detail than that. Low(er) carb also had pitfalls for me as at the time I knew as little about nutrition as my doctor. Cutting out processed and packaged food as much as possible, and any drinks containing sugar, including sneaky ones like vegetable or fruit juices, low fat milk, energy drinks was a huge help. I really had to start reading all the ingredients as so much sugar is hidden behind friendly or natural sounding names...wheat flour...lactose...dextrose...who knew? My A1c is now in the high thirties mainly thanks to following lower carb.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor mentioned 'eat healthy', but never had more detail than that. Low(er) carb also had pitfalls for me as at the time I knew as little about nutrition as my doctor. Cutting out processed and packaged food as much as possible, and any drinks containing sugar, including sneaky ones like vegetable or fruit juices, low fat milk, energy drinks was a huge help. I really had to start reading all the ingredients as so much sugar is hidden behind friendly or natural sounding names...wheat flour...lactose...dextrose...who knew? My A1c is now in the high thirties mainly thanks to following lower carb.

RESULT. Well done.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's very special social media post.

Today I went for my 6 monthly diabetic review. It's now official.*** I'M IN REMISSION *** Bloods show non diabetic hba1c. Nurse doesnt need to see me again for 12 months. She laughed and said she couldn't teach me anything and that she could learn from me!!!

This time 18 months ago I was diagnosed. Offered metformin straight away and statins (for cholesterol) soon after (they usually go hand in hand). I was told it would be progressive. I declined both. Asked nurse if I could try diet first, I had heard you could reverse diabetes and wanted to see if I could. Went home totally devastated. Googled 'reversing diabetes ' found low carb was the way the majority of people were doing it. Never looked back. Back to pre diabetic level bloods within 2 months (all symptoms disappeared at this point, IBS, blurry vision, dry mouth, indigestion, yeast infections, itchy skin) and non diabetic at my next check up after 6 months. And it remains there. My cholesterol is slightly raised since diagnosis but all my ratios are excellent and I'm not in the slightest bit concerned. Ive learned so much about cholesterol on my journey too. Its not the baddy it's made out to be. Anyway, that's another story. I dont need meds. Meds don't actually help with the diabetes that much anyway. I just think of meds as the mop and bucket mopping up the sugar and carbs. What you need to do is stop the leak (sugar and carbs) for blood sugars to return to normal in the majority of cases. And also use a blood glucose monitor to avoid spikes that can cause terrible problems including amputations, blindness, peripheral neuropathy and much more. I feel these should be offered to all diabetics/pre diabetics. Monitoring is essential to control blood sugar levels. How else do you know how your body deals with food, we are all different so no rule book. I've written to Theresa May about this, no reply to date but I've heard she has been a little busy!

So here is me today looking very happy with myself, size 12, keeping my 4 stone weight loss off hasn't been a problem either. I dont get hungry with this way of eating. Its not for everyone who wants to lose weight, some have great success with weight watchers and slimming world (I never did, well I did but short lived and put all weight back on and more besides). The other photo is me when I finished at PDS Medical a year last November. Size 18/20.

A personal goal in life is to help others whether it's in controlling blood sugars or maybe losing a few unwanted lbs. I'm currently working with my surgery (x 2) and I'm absolutely made up they have embraced this. I live in hope that the advice given to pre diabetic and those diagnosed diabetic changes. At the moment we are encouraged to eat a 'balanced diet' which includes lots of starchy carbs. Why I have no idea. You wouldnt give someone with a nut allergy peanuts would you. But times are a changing all be it very slowly. So until the tide turns I will keep spreading the word, which many of my fb friends are only too aware of!!!! I make no apologies.

So look after your health. It's your wealth. Making small changes will make all the difference. You should start to feel better in yourself straight away. Also helps with migraines, joint pains, spots and so much more......

For more info diabetics will find an amazing members forum here:

Diabetes.co.uk

And those who might want to lose weight here:

Diet doctor
Ditch the carbs

If you made it to the end if this post WELL DONE!!!

Attachments

• 20190406_200248.jpg
    20190406_200248.jpg
    965.8 KB · Views: 529
  • 20171128_123209_resized.jpg
    20171128_123209_resized.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 616

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read and re-read your post and just wanted to say thank you - your enthusiasm is infectious and very motivating!

I want to let people know this diagnosis isn't the end of the world. For me it was a blessing in disguise. I've never felt healthier or better about myself. I had to educate myself. I did so thanks to this forum and it's amazing members who give so much to so many. Things have to change. And I'm.doing my little bit to help. Thank you for your kind words. They have spurred me on even more!!!

charlie000

Was admitted in to hospital in the last week of Feb with Atrial Fib. A senior Dr examined my bloods and told me my HBA1C was at 105. She said “I am in the early stages of Diabates” and recommends my GP to get me started on Diabetes Meds.

No dietary advice except to eat healthy?

After 4 days in hospital my sugars remain high. Maybe it’s because of the white bread baguettes, Cheerios and biscuits we were being fed and laying in bed all day.

On the last day I had Salad + chicken. They said no more food was available and that this all that was left. I had this, and sneaked off the ward for a walk. The hospital I was in is massive and we all know it, it serves our war veterans. I came back after a 40 min walk. Nobody realises I had went! Nurse comes round gives me my medication and does my BG. Guess what? It’s at 5.4?!?!?!?

She was impressed but confused and asked if I had eaten. I was full! Goes and gets me some biscuits and tea. I have the tea and one biscuit just to be polite. Rest stay on the table, and are taken away by the staff in the morning...

My morning glucose is at 6.5, instead of 10.

All the other days my BG before bed has been 11mmol - 15mmol!

Nobody visited me in hospital. And I think the nurse showed a lot of compassion and care to me for this reason. Everyone else on the ward had visitors daily. Fresh juices, fruit, chocolate and biscuits, flowers you name it.

All I had was a box of hospital tissues, plastic water jug, plastic glass, my inhaler, hospital wipes and a chicken white bread sandwich.

For four days I didn’t have a shower just a face wash and hair wash and no change of clothes. I was in my jeans and polo shirt for what I was wearing that evening.

I informed my family that I was in hospital and not to visit as I needed time to myself. I know, it’s selfish but it’s how I am. It helps me understand and learn myself.

After discharge I go home and turn my phone off. I start researching diabetes and the problems I have been having. I come across the new castle diet and start it that evening. I did it for 4 days then gave up and had a Tunnocks caramel wafer chocolate. I felt tired and exhausted and couldn’t do any work. But it was time for me to rest. I did it again the next week but the third week of Newcastle I stopped. Hunger went, cravings went, and my blood sugars fell to 6.7 max after meals, fasting was still 6.5.

After the 3rd week I realise this isn’t plausible. I come across diet doctor, Virta Health, the diabetes cook book, watch a tonne of videos, Michael Moseley and his diet book. I accept that low carb is what I need to do, but maybe not high fat?

I felt guilt deeply eating butter... I used to be scared and worried. But my BG showed otherwise and I’d feel fuller and more energetic. My skin is glowing, my hair is a lot better. I’ve even had some attention from the opposite gender which never has happened since school!

In the last week of March I start weight training and walking. I hope to join the Police.

I’m doing really when on LCHF. Losing weight, but not on scales as I’m exercising but my body and face looks massively different. I have more strength I feel happy. But my redundancy makes me depressed in the evenings because I miss the days of a hard day of work coming home and relaxing. Now I’m just relaxing all the time. The day is ok until 6pm I’m really happy when I wake up but end of day makes me sad. This is in addition to my ex cheating on me. She didn’t know any of this, didn’t even come and see me in hospital, was busy with another fella...

My glucose now since the last two weeks of March 2019;
Fasting no more than 5mmol. Always between 4.4 -4.8mmol.

More 4.4mmol depending on when I start my fast.

My glucose after 2 hours eating is 4.6.-4.8. 3 hours it is dead on 4.6. Then drops to 4.4 and stops there.

I haven’t seen my glucose go over 6.5mmol. But I only test 2 and 3 hours after meal and fasting ones. And haven’t seen my Fasting BG go over 4.8mmol.

I plan to get an A1C test in the start of June as I’ll be doing a months fast from Start May to end May with a Muslim friend to see how it is.

On Sunday I had a carby breaded chicken meal. I was forced to at a friends new place. I didn’t want to but accepted it as a test too. My BG before meal was 4.4mmol. After 2 hours of eating it was at 6.0mmol, 45 mins later 5.0mmol and 3.5 hours later 4.6mmol.

The next morning after 9 hours fast, my fasting glucose was 4.8mmol...

I have cut all chocolates where I used to eat 4 bars a day, then biscuits bread, ice cream and rice or pasta.

I don’t even have breakfast. If I do it’s a few nuts, and up of tea with cream.

More chicken fish meats in my diet made with Ghee, a lot more greeery. Can’t have eggs due to a suspected allergy. But I do sometimes, gotta live?

If I have a 0 carb meal or very low carb meal on a day I’ll have one Tesco Viennese then after finding my meal, just for carbs.

My chocolate addiction is hard... but I haven’t had anything but dark chocolate 90% Lindt or that Viennese thin since start of March 2019.

No chips (if eating with family I have about 4 fries lol)
No potato
No bread (I had a quarter bread on a 0 carb meal last week)
No sugar drinks. Only diet and 7up free
About 3.5 litres of water

I go gym 3 times a week for about 1 hour doing weights training.

Any advice would be welcomed thank you and I’ll answer any questions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Pix deleted as it may cause offence, apologies to the person concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I want to let people know this diagnosis isn't the end of the world. For me it was a blessing in disguise. I've never felt healthier or better about myself. I had to educate myself. I did so thanks to this forum and it's amazing members who give so much to so many. Things have to change. And I'm.doing my little bit to help. Thank you for your kind words. They have spurred me on even more!!!

WELL DONE YOU! YOU TRULY ARE AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL.

Po

Reactions: jjraak

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Was admitted in to hospital in the last week of Feb with Atrial Fib. A senior Dr examined my bloods and told me my HBA1C was at 105. She said “I am in the early stages of Diabates” and recommends my GP to get me started on Diabetes Meds.

No dietary advice except to eat healthy?

After 4 days in hospital my sugars remain high. Maybe it’s because of the white bread baguettes, Cheerios and biscuits we were being fed and laying in bed all day.

On the last day I had Salad + chicken. They said no more food was available and that this all that was left. I had this, and sneaked off the ward for a walk. The hospital I was in is massive and we all know it, it serves our war veterans. I came back after a 40 min walk. Nobody realises I had went! Nurse comes round gives me my medication and does my BG. Guess what? It’s at 5.4?!?!?!?

She was impressed but confused and asked if I had eaten. I was full! Goes and gets me some biscuits and tea. I have the tea and one biscuit just to be polite. Rest stay on the table, and are taken away by the staff in the morning...

My morning glucose is at 6.5, instead of 10.

All the other days my BG before bed has been 11mmol - 15mmol!

Nobody visited me in hospital. And I think the nurse showed a lot of compassion and care to me for this reason. Everyone else on the ward had visitors daily. Fresh juices, fruit, chocolate and biscuits, flowers you name it.

All I had was a box of hospital tissues, plastic water jug, plastic glass, my inhaler, hospital wipes and a chicken white bread sandwich.

For four days I didn’t have a shower just a face wash and hair wash and no change of clothes. I was in my jeans and polo shirt for what I was wearing that evening.

I informed my family that I was in hospital and not to visit as I needed time to myself. I know, it’s selfish but it’s how I am. It helps me understand and learn myself.

After discharge I go home and turn my phone off. I start researching diabetes and the problems I have been having. I come across the new castle diet and start it that evening. I did it for 4 days then gave up and had a Tunnocks caramel wafer chocolate. I felt tired and exhausted and couldn’t do any work. But it was time for me to rest. I did it again the next week but the third week of Newcastle I stopped. Hunger went, cravings went, and my blood sugars fell to 6.7 max after meals, fasting was still 6.5.

After the 3rd week I realise this isn’t plausible. I come across diet doctor, Virta Health, the diabetes cook book, watch a tonne of videos, Michael Moseley and his diet book. I accept that low carb is what I need to do, but maybe not high fat?

I felt guilt deeply eating butter... I used to be scared and worried. But my BG showed otherwise and I’d feel fuller and more energetic. My skin is glowing, my hair is a lot better. I’ve even had some attention from the opposite gender which never has happened since school!

In the last week of March I start weight training and walking. I hope to join the Police.

I’m doing really when on LCHF. Losing weight, but not on scales as I’m exercising but my body and face looks massively different. I have more strength I feel happy. But my redundancy makes me depressed in the evenings because I miss the days of a hard day of work coming home and relaxing. Now I’m just relaxing all the time. The day is ok until 6pm I’m really happy when I wake up but end of day makes me sad. This is in addition to my ex cheating on me. She didn’t know any of this, didn’t even come and see me in hospital, was busy with another fella...

My glucose now since the last two weeks of March 2019;
Fasting no more than 5mmol. Always between 4.4 -4.8mmol.

More 4.4mmol depending on when I start my fast.

My glucose after 2 hours eating is 4.6.-4.8. 3 hours it is dead on 4.6. Then drops to 4.4 and stops there.

I haven’t seen my glucose go over 6.5mmol. But I only test 2 and 3 hours after meal and fasting ones. And haven’t seen my Fasting BG go over 4.8mmol.

I plan to get an A1C test in the start of June as I’ll be doing a months fast from Start May to end May with a Muslim friend to see how it is.

On Sunday I had a carby breaded chicken meal. I was forced to at a friends new place. I didn’t want to but accepted it as a test too. My BG before meal was 4.4mmol. After 2 hours of eating it was at 6.0mmol, 45 mins later 5.0mmol and 3.5 hours later 4.6mmol.

The next morning after 9 hours fast, my fasting glucose was 4.8mmol...

I have cut all chocolates where I used to eat 4 bars a day, then biscuits bread, ice cream and rice or pasta.

I don’t even have breakfast. If I do it’s a few nuts, and up of tea with cream.

More chicken fish meats in my diet made with Ghee, a lot more greeery. Can’t have eggs due to a suspected allergy. But I do sometimes, gotta live?

If I have a 0 carb meal or very low carb meal on a day I’ll have one Tesco Viennese then after finding my meal, just for carbs.

My chocolate addiction is hard... but I haven’t had anything but dark chocolate 90% Lindt or that Viennese thin since start of March 2019.

No chips (if eating with family I have about 4 fries lol)
No potato
No bread (I had a quarter bread on a 0 carb meal last week)
No sugar drinks. Only diet and 7up free
About 3.5 litres of water

I go gym 3 times a week for about 1 hour doing weights training.

Any advice would be welcomed thank you and I’ll answer any questions.

When it comes to advice I think we should be coming to Y O U!
You sound like a winner that's for certain my friend.

I am sorry to hear about your set back... however she was NOT the person for you that is 100% certain.

Stay focused and on the track you are on... Oh! and hold tight the ride gets exciting.
Po

Reactions: 1spuds and jjraak

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So look after your health. It's your wealth. Making small changes will make all the difference. You should start to feel better in yourself straight away. Also helps with migraines, joint pains, spots and so much more......

For more info diabetics will find an amazing members forum here:

Diabetes.co.uk
Deb,is that going to be part of your educational material? I would add to be sure to get forum address in your material so folks can access further at their own speed,etc.

Keep up the crusade,awesome you have located a vehicle to present it from.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Deb,is that going to be part of your educational material? I would add to be sure to get forum address in your material so folks can access further at their own speed,etc.

Keep up the crusade,awesome you have located a vehicle to present it from.
I always try and get DCUK in as many times as possible. No vehicle as yet, just my trusty orange box. :)

Reactions: 1spuds and Prem51

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
5 1/2 months on low carb, ketogenic diet as TID on insulin pump:
HBAIC = 36 mmol/l (5.6% in the old money). 46 last october, 39 last February)
In mmol/l - Total cholesterol 5.9, HDL-C 0.6, LDL-C 4.1, tot -C//LDL-C = 3.9, trigs = 0.4
Weight down 2 kg, BMI =20. Not bad for a short guy !
Endo is happy and says lipids are in transition. He thinks low dose aspirin with a PPI is best prophylaxis at present.
Seeing cardiologist for routine preventive check next week and for second calcium score to be done 5 years after first one.( which was 'normal for age', as in normal for thevpopulation at large).
I am not expecting miracles after just 5 1/2 months but that is not going to stop me keeping on with the diet.
Calcium score to be reported so please watch this space!
Also dropped anti-depreesant dose back without a problem 3 months ago.
Best Wishes.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5 1/2 months on low carb, ketogenic diet as TID on insulin pump:
HBAIC = 36 mmol/l (5.6% in the old money). 46 last october, 39 last February)
In mmol/l - Total cholesterol 5.9, HDL-C 0.6, LDL-C 4.1, tot -C//LDL-C = 3.9, trigs = 0.4
Weight down 2 kg, BMI =20. Not bad for a short guy !
Endo is happy and says lipids are in transition. He thinks low dose aspirin with a PPI is best prophylaxis at present.
Seeing cardiologist for routine preventive check next week and for second calcium score to be done 5 years after first one.( which was 'normal for age', as in normal for thevpopulation at large).
I am not expecting miracles after just 5 1/2 months but that is not going to stop me keeping on with the diet.
Calcium score to be reported so please watch this space!
Also dropped anti-depreesant dose back without a problem 3 months ago.
Best Wishes.
Well done on your progress look forward to hearing your calcium score - other scores are excellent and brilliant news re antidepressants. I was on them for 20+ years but found mood improved so much on keto that I was able to slowly come off them I’ve now not been on them for about a year and a half with much better moods etc - wishing you all the best with yours.

Reactions: Prem51 and DCUKMod