Disgusted by Cellnovo

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cellnovo have gone into administration. They sent me an email and a day later my pump stopped working. I tried to go back onto the apidra pens and the chemist said it will take 48 hours to process my prescription. I have ran out of insulin and resorted to using a needle to draw it out of the vials for the pump. My blood sugars have been haywire.

I am so disgusted with Cellnovo and the fact that they haven't let customers know in advance! Now I have to consider a new pump. I was interested in the Omniopod but is there anything better than that?

Has anyone else been on a Cellnovo pump and ended up in the same situation as me?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Cellnovo have gone into administration. They sent me an email and a day later my pump stopped working. I tried to go back onto the apidra pens and the chemist said it will take 48 hours to process my prescription. I have ran out of insulin and resorted to using a needle to draw it out of the vials for the pump. My blood sugars have been haywire.

I am so disgusted with Cellnovo and the fact that they haven't let customers know in advance! Now I have to consider a new pump. I was interested in the Omniopod but is there anything better than that?

Has anyone else been on a Cellnovo pump and ended up in the same situation as me?

That's awful, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. If you're going back to MDI from a pump I"d guess that you'll also need basal insulin, otherwise you'll have to stay up all night injecting. Can I ask which country you're in? (Your options for pumps and emergency medical care vary by country.)

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's awful, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. If you're going back to MDI from a pump I"d guess that you'll also need basal insulin, otherwise you'll have to stay up all night injecting. Can I ask which country you're in? (Your options for pumps and emergency medical care vary by country.)
I have been taking lantus as my basal. I am in the UK.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As an emergency your hospital team should supply immediate insulin.

D

Deleted Account

However you plan to go forward, I highly recommend ensuring you have insulin pens on your prescription at all times when using a pump and to take these with you when you are away from home for a night or more.
Regardless of the pump manufacturer going bust, your pump could fail at any time and they will not be able to get a replacement to you immediately.

I am shocked to read this lack of backup from multiple people wit ha pump. The backup pens was hammered into me when I changed from MDI to a pump but it seems as if my experience is not normal.

Reactions: Dodo

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
We have long acting insulin as backup and draw the quick acting insulin from the syringes that fit my sons pens. The biggest issue we have is that someone at the GP seems to think its a good idea to remove items from prescription just because we don't order it on a regular basis.

Reactions: porl69
D

Deleted Account

We have long acting insulin as backup and draw the quick acting insulin from the syringes that fit my sons pens. The biggest issue we have is that someone at the GP seems to think its a good idea to remove items from prescription just because we don't order it on a regular basis.
I had the same problem. I was told the system automatically removes items from the prescription if they have not been ordered for 12 months unless they have been flagged. After I expressed my disappointment that items were removed without consultation, the pen items have now been flagged.
It is wrong that I need to keep an eye on our prescription in case of these mistakes but it seems I am the only person who knows what should remain.

Reactions: Dodo

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The insulin pens had been removed from my prescription. I still had Lantus pens so been using them, but Apidra vials for pump I have been drawing up in a syringe and injecting which have caused my sugars to drop to 3.2 two nights in a row now. The needles were leftovers I had from other medication and they are VERY long so are the hypos due to that?

Chemist said it would take 48 hours for me to get the Apidra pens and I ordered them on Friday and still have not received.

Diabetes sometimes makes me feel like what is the point in being alive? Most people don't realise the battles we face on a daily basis.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The insulin pens had been removed from my prescription. I still had Lantus pens so been using them, but Apidra vials for pump I have been drawing up in a syringe and injecting which have caused my sugars to drop to 3.2 two nights in a row now. The needles were leftovers I had from other medication and they are VERY long so are the hypos due to that?

Chemist said it would take 48 hours for me to get the Apidra pens and I ordered them on Friday and still have not received.

Diabetes sometimes makes me feel like what is the point in being alive? Most people don't realise the battles we face on a daily basis.

That's awful - are you near a local hospital? Can they help with Apidra pens?

There is a LOT of point in being alive! This is just a blip and once the new meds are sorted you'll feel loads better. I do think though that our medical support could really do with a kick up the backside at times and realise that these drugs aren't optional, they are what keeps us alive.

Let us know how you get on.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick update: I was moved onto the Omnipod a few weeks after this fiasco and I absolutely love it! It is so easy to use and does not beep 24/7 as if it is a third wheel in mine and my husband's relationship like the Cellnovo pump did! I guess everything happens for a reason and Cellnovo going into administration was a blessing in disguise for me :)

Reactions: LooperCat