Type 2 Low Carb Program

RhonaB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I was diagnosed at the beginning of the year with BG 29.6, Hba1c 145! My only symptom was weight loss. After many bloods and much pondering about Type 1, Lada, Type 2 I'm being treated as Type 2.
Anyway, I'm now on Metformin (1g bd) but my BG is being very stubborn and staying around 10-12mmols no matter what I eat or don't eat ... I am trying to keep it fairly low carb. I'm not back to see the consultant until July when he will probably start me on another pill.

I've yet to hear from the dietician who may or may not be helpful, but apparently has a very long waiting list which I seem to be at the end of.

My question is really, would my dr/nurse give me a referral code for the Low Carb Program??? A free week would be so useful in deciding whether it's for me or not but there's no try before you buy as far as I can see!

Thanks!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I was diagnosed at the beginning of the year with BG 29.6, Hba1c 145! My only symptom was weight loss. After many bloods and much pondering about Type 1, Lada, Type 2 I'm being treated as Type 2.
Anyway, I'm now on Metformin (1g bd) but my BG is being very stubborn and staying around 10-12mmols no matter what I eat or don't eat ... I am trying to keep it fairly low carb. I'm not back to see the consultant until July when he will probably start me on another pill.

I've yet to hear from the dietician who may or may not be helpful, but apparently has a very long waiting list which I seem to be at the end of.

My question is really, would my dr/nurse give me a referral code for the Low Carb Program??? A free week would be so useful in deciding whether it's for me or not but there's no try before you buy as far as I can see!

Thanks!

Rhonda - many have found the Low Carb Programme (LCP) transformational. Whether your doctor will prescribe it for you is a matter for discussion with him. Around the country CCGs vary in their approach the LCP, and their processes for prescribing it.

Certainly, for most T2s what we eat and drink is critical in terms of our blood glucose control; particularly if we want to keep our pharmaceutical support to a minimum.

It sounds like a chat with your GP is in order.

RhonaB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rhonda - many have found the Low Carb Programme (LCP) transformational. Whether your doctor will prescribe it for you is a matter for discussion with him. Around the country CCGs vary in their approach the LCP, and their processes for prescribing it.

Certainly, for most T2s what we eat and drink is critical in terms of our blood glucose control; particularly if we want to keep our pharmaceutical support to a minimum.

It sounds like a chat with your GP is in order.

Many thanks, I have a GP appointment today and just wanted to check it out beforehand! Always worth asking the question. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Be prepared to challenge your T2 diagnosis as you are slim and on low-carb. I'm one of many on the forum over the years who have been wrongly diagnosed as T2 when in fact are T1/LADA. If your weight loss continues together with high BS and low-carbing then do ask for the two tests GAD and c-peptide. One hint will be the Metformin only having a very small effect. BTW beware NHS dieticians. Some are really good and up to date but many still push out the low-sugar, low-fat, low-salt mantra which doesn't really help when you have diabetes.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Be prepared to challenge your T2 diagnosis as you are slim and on low-carb. I'm one of many on the forum over the years who have been wrongly diagnosed as T2 when in fact are T1/LADA. If your weight loss continues together with high BS and low-carbing then do ask for the two tests GAD and c-peptide. One hint will be the Metformin only having a very small effect. BTW beware NHS dieticians. Some are really good and up to date but many still push out the low-sugar, low-fat, low-salt mantra which doesn't really help when you have diabetes.
Yeah, the weight loss is a bit of a clue. I would definitely ask for more testing.