Being told you cant Inject at work!!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi blonagael, good luck with your tribunal, you should not have to suffer any discrimination due to your diabetes, if your workmates dont like you injecting thats their problem, I'm sure you dont make a spectacle of yourself so if they chose to be nosy thats their problem, stick to your guns.

sugarless sue said:
When a person is finished in the toilet they touch at least the stall door latch and then the tap that they use to wash their hands. They can also lay their hand on work surfaces. Warm air dryers also spread germs by blowing them round the area.

I watched a program a while ago where swabs where taken off toothbrushes used in both combined and separate bathrooms and toilets, those in the separate bathroom where relatively clean only containing the usual bacteria you would find anywhere else in your house but the toothbrushes swabbed from the combined bathroom/toilet contained traces of human waste, that was every brush tested :shock: :shock:

I have a separate bathroom at home but when I go away as I did recently and the accommodation has combined facilities I always keep my toothbrush in a case, so never ever inject in a toilet area however clean they may appear to be.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
I watched a program a while ago where swabs where taken off toothbrushes used in both combined and separate bathrooms and toilets, those in the separate bathroom where relatively clean only containing the usual bacteria you would find anywhere else in your house but the toothbrushes swabbed from the combined bathroom/toilet contained traces of human waste, that was every brush tested :shock:

That is frightening!!! Surely everything else in the vicinity of the toilet would then be contaminated including towels..........what a horrible thought..... :(

BTW, good look with the tribunal blonagael! :)

Nigel

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never in a million years would I agree to my daughter injecting in a toilet and I don't think anyone else should ever be expected to take any medication, injected or not, in a toilet area. Disgusting that an employer should suggest this. Your husband should politely ask if they are able to provide a suitable room for him to inject in then if others have a problem with it. The room should be clean and warm, with hand washing facilities - perhaps they have a first aid or medical room at his workplace. If the employer is unable to provide these facilities then your husband in my opinion has the right to choose where he wants to inject and if others are upset by this then they are the ones with the problem, not your husband. Type 1 diabetes is covered under the disability discrimination act, your husband's employer should be made aware of this. Your husband can use his car as you suggest, but why should he? Why should he go to a freezing cold car in the middle of winter with no hand washing facilities just because someone else has a problem with him injecting? It's not like he's trying to stick the needle into them, all they need to do is look away if they have a problem, it's rude to stare anyway.

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just been reading this thread and it looks like a few employers seem to have issues with diabetics... i never personally had issues with my employer with injecting however I was threatened with disaplinery for eating at my desk (my sugars were 1.8 at the time and i didnt want to risk walking anywhere) - lucky for me I left that department (same employer) and now my boss keeps pestering me to check sugars and getting me food just so i dont cake out on them :D

Margi

It is such a shame that people are so insensitive and petty to the point where they forget we are all human beings and capable of talking to each other to resolve things before resorting to formal complaints.. If someone has a problem with seeing needles, and some people even can't cope if they just know an injection is happening, then surely all they need to do is mention it to the person injecting and work out a way that is good for both people.

Even the tiniest workplace should be able to provide a clean and safe place to inject though. The corner with the kettle in it would do if that is all there is. But to be told to go in the toilet is something I've fought against for years. Just imagine trying that with the old glass syringes!!!! :shock: :shock:

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Just the tip of the iceberg ,, :shock:

I have 2 cases on the Go ,Ones just settled out of court a Household Name Over access to toilets
Were Sorry and a £10 store voucher ,,,Will not cut it anymore :twisted:

[youtube]QPzq3on2qiA[/youtube]

tekcom

I totally agree with everything that's been said so far - luckily, I've not been subjected to such bad treatement.

However, you must be very careful with how you respond to your employer about these things.
Don't forget that they have the right to dismiss you for pretty much any reason if you have been there less than 1 year.

If you've not been there a whole year, then you do not have the right to claim unfair dismissal unfortunately.

Although, this doesn't necessarily preclude you from taking the employer to a tribual.

Very difficult situation, best of luck ! :)

Adam.

dorcas61

Dislikes
Bad manners, bullying
Margi said:
It is such a shame that people are so insensitive and petty to the point where they forget we are all human beings and capable of talking to each other to resolve things before resorting to formal complaints.. If someone has a problem with seeing needles, and some people even can't cope if they just know an injection is happening, then surely all they need to do is mention it to the person injecting and work out a way that is good for both people.

Very sensible, and something I've know happen - they agreed that the person injecting would say "I'm going to be injecting in a few minutes" and the colleague who was genuinely upset by needles would simply get up and walk away - managers knew and were fine with it, no-one got het up, because they talked it through.

Albert27

I think a company registered when he had a proper system for the safety of the worker and many other things included when it got registered.So if any thing is missing there you can file for that after consulting with the company's lawyer or using a personal lawyer.

Johnsgirl

I have just come from lunch at Blind Veterans UK, where we are staying for the week, and there were at least four diabetics sitting round the table of 8. One of them asked my partner whether he had to inject at the table, and couldn't he do it in the bedroom or in the toilet? Later I asked the "gentleman" why he was watching my partner, especially if he was blind, and he just said "I'm not that blind". My partner is always discreet and I often have to ask if he has injected. We are elderly and his dabetes is brlttle. In fact, he has a cyst on his pancreas which is cauing huge peaks and troughs. We have never come across this attitude in society before. Other people around the table were taking pills. It is unbelievable that people with the same illness can be so discriminatory. It seems that others at the table were of a similar opinion but it could be that their circumstances were different i.e. they may have nursing care at the facility.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just come from lunch at Blind Veterans UK, where we are staying for the week, and there were at least four diabetics sitting round the table of 8. One of them asked my partner whether he had to inject at the table, and couldn't he do it in the bedroom or in the toilet? Later I asked the "gentleman" why he was watching my partner, especially if he was blind, and he just said "I'm not that blind". My partner is always discreet and I often have to ask if he has injected. We are elderly and his dabetes is brlttle. In fact, he has a cyst on his pancreas which is cauing huge peaks and troughs. We have never come across this attitude in society before. Other people around the table were taking pills. It is unbelievable that people with the same illness can be so discriminatory. It seems that others at the table were of a similar opinion but it could be that their circumstances were different i.e. they may have nursing care at the facility.
Hi Johnsgirl and welcome. You're replying to a post that's ten years old , and it's unlikely you'll get a reply from many of the original contributors. Have you thought about starting a new thread on this subject? I think it would get some interest.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @Johnsgirl I'm so sorry you've had this said to you. Your husband's not doing anything wrong by injecting at the table. I hope he carries on doing so, and ignores such frankly ignorant remarks from others. It makes me so cross!!

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
It does make me sad that people would say something like this , with a pen it can now be done so discreetly and it takes me probably les than 10 secs but having said that just why would somebody even say anything , sad people !