NHS England launches test strip consultation

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Apologies if that has already been posted .

NHS England is considering new guidance calling for GPs to prescribe cheaper alternatives of blood glucose test strips for people with type 2 diabetes.

Needles for pre-filled and reusable insulin pens are also on a list of items highlighted as having lower-cost substitutes.

https://diabetestimes.co.uk/nhs-england-launches-test-strips-consultation/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

NHS England is considering new guidance calling for GPs to prescribe cheaper alternatives of blood glucose test strips for people with type 2 diabetes.

Needles for pre-filled and reusable insulin pens are also on a list of items highlighted as having lower-cost substitutes.

This isn't about prescribing test strips to T2s that don't already have them prescribed. It is to replace the existing prescribed strips with cheaper alternatives.

"Commenting on glucose testing strips and needles and pens, the document says: “The proposed recommendations on glucose testing strips and needles are focused on substitution for cheaper, but equally effective products, not a reduction in prescribing of these items."

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
.......and needles are focused on substitution for cheaper, but equally effective products, not a reduction in prescribing of these items."

Thanks for the heads up @WackyJacky64 and @Bluetit1802

Perhaps a representative of NHSE would like to inject themselves several times a day for 40+ years and see just how equally effective they really are... :inpain: *insert grumpy icon here*

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

We went through this gate a year or so ago. My GP had to change my meter and I was given a short list to choose from. The criteria at the time was test strip cost less than £10 per 100, and the meter chosen had to meet the updated ISO standards (2018). Most of the commonly available meters were excluded (mainly Abbott and the larger manufacturers) and many on the list I was given were rubbish. I eventually found one that met their criteria but not on their list, submitted it to my practice manger, and I was allowed to get one and my GP was able to support my test habit.

The initiative was CCG led, and so it varies from area to area like a postcode lottery, The study and initial selection / deselection work was done by GMMMB in Manchester who published the short list for the CCGs of meters that met the criteria. Each CCG was allowed to select 6 from this list for their GPs to choose from in their practice area.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is lickly to force the meter vendors with the most expensive test strips to reduce what they charge the NHS or withdraw from the UK market. There is no justifications for the large veration in how much the NHS is paying for test strips.