Joslin Diabetes Center Medal for 50 years as a T1

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to share that yesterday, I received my Joslin Diabetes Center medal for being a T1 for 50 years! I know we just live with it, but it's nice to have this milestone, especially since when I was diagnosed at 12, I was told I wouldn't see 30.
56191315_10157126027702387_7479532078212579328_n.jpg

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Congratulations! What an accolade.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Well done @RAPS_od !! A feather for your cap as they say!! You have lived with diabetes, wrestled with it, placated it where possible and not given in. That is courage and I am so glad that such achievements are recognised.
If you need to change you hat size you deserve that too !!:):):):):)

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done @RAPS_od !! A feather for your cap as they say!! You have lived with diabetes, wrestled with it, placated it where possible and not given in. That is courage and I am so glad that such achievements are recognised.
If you need to change you hat size you deserve that too !!:):):):):)
Thank you!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful. Well done. It must have been devastating hearing those words. You proved them wrong. Still going strong.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @RAPS_od ,

Congratulations. I have just over 7 years wait for mine.
However, your post just highlights the great misconception regarding the bleak forecast from HCPs at the time.
My mum protected me from this "revelation," but it didn't stop me finding out a couple of years later after breaking into a student nurse's room & reading her books.

Long may we prove em wrong....

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wonderful. Well done. It must have been devastating hearing those words. You proved them wrong. Still going strong.
Thank you so much. My mom & dad wouldn’t accept that prognosis and wouldn’t let me accept it either. I know I’m lucky; I’m grateful.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @RAPS_od ,

Congratulations. I have just over 7 years wait for mine.
However, your post just highlights the great misconception regarding the bleak forecast from HCPs at the time.
My mum protected me from this "revelation," but it didn't stop me finding out a couple of years later after breaking into a student nurse's room & reading her books.

Long may we prove em wrong....
I agree with you completely. I had a doctor once tell me to start smoking to lose weight.as well as take honey for a cold & sore throat. One doctor made up a name of a condition I suffered through (he called it “coldoskinosis.”) I still don’t know what was wrong at that time. *shrug*
Sometimes you just outlive the advice you get.

K

Knikki

Well done for getting your medal I got the UK one Alan Nabarro medal last year although I had past the 50 mark a few years prior.

It's an ever expanding club these days which is good :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
50 years of daily effort and focus.
Well done!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I just wanted to say, well done and good on you, I love reading positive posts like yours :)

CONGRATULATIONS :)

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done for getting your medal I got the UK one Alan Nabarro medal last year although I had past the 50 mark a few years prior.

It's an ever expanding club these days which is good :)
Congratulations, my friend! It's a great day we share!
Joslin has a 75 year medal, too. I don't know if I'll get that, but I'll give it a shot. (Diabetic pun intended!)

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
50 years of daily effort and focus.
Well done!!!
I'm not gonna lie... There were many days when I just couldn't diabetic. But I'm here - and for that, I'll accept your compliments! Thank you very much!

K

Knikki

Congratulations, my friend! It's a great day we share!
Joslin has a 75 year medal, too. I don't know if I'll get that, but I'll give it a shot. (Diabetic pun intended!)

:) thanks over this side of the pond it is 70 years get the John Macloud medal and at 80 HG Wells one.

As treatment improves I guess they are going to have to make one for 90 soon, it would be so cool to have a Capatian Scarlet medal for that length of time :hilarious:

(If your not aware Captain Scarlet was part of a kids TV program back in the late 60-70's who was totally indestructible :) )

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:) thanks over this side of the pond it is 70 years get the John Macloud medal and at 80 HG Wells one.

As treatment improves I guess they are going to have to make one for 90 soon, it would be so cool to have a Capatian Scarlet medal for that length of time :hilarious:

(If your not aware Captain Scarlet was part of a kids TV program back in the late 60-70's who was totally indestructible :) )
Wow! That's so awesome!
And thanks for the info on Captain Scarlet - I didn't know!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! That's so awesome!
And thanks for the info on Captain Scarlet - I didn't know!

I want to wish you congratulations on getting your 50yr medal, however I can't! How can you be the age you are and not know about Capt. Scarlet (the 'real' one not @Knikki) ?????? :sorry::rolleyes::hilarious:

Seriously, well done!