How do I get an insulin pump

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,
I would really love to start using an insulin pump due to the amount of hypos I get. I’m a bit confused, spoke to my DN at my GP about it and she said that they don’t do referrals for pumps. I used to go to a young diabetes clinic at the hospital where I saw a consultant every 6 months but once I turned 25 I was told I was too old, and only needed to start seeing him when I was planning on having a baby.
I’m in contact with the diabetes team at the hospital and when I phoned them up they told me they don’t deal with pumps. I’m really confused, those on pumps how did you manage to get one.

D

Deleted Account

I have no dealings with anyone from my GP surgery for diabetes. All my diabetes review, etc is with the diabetes team (DSN and Endocrinologist and dietician) once per year at the local hospital.
The diabetes team at my hospital are responsible for insulin pumps.
This seems to differ in each CCG.

If you are interested in having a pump, I recommend taking a look at INPUT diabetes to understand the criteria.

Reactions: porl69

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've found it depends on the team, whilst in Nottingham they seemed anti pump. I've been in Barrow in Furness for 3.5 years and I've had my pump for 2. The first time I asked I was booked onto the first pump course which was 2/3 months later.

I hope you get sorted ASAP.

Kelly :)

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn’t even know who to contact to be considered for one, or to see if I fit the criteria.
I’m so confused.
My consultant in the past have offered me one, during my late teens. The nurses at my GP are so useless anyways, I live in Southampton if that helps lol

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
My diabetologist told me I needed to do the DAPHNE course before I would be considered.
Took a week off work to do the DAFNE course ,passed it and went back to see my diabetologist who said he would review it later in year
Feel like I'm being fobbed off.
(County Durham/Darlington CCG)

D

Deleted Account

@buckmr2 the DAPHNE course is a common prerequisite for an insulin pump. The pump requires effort and the DAPHNE course is one way of proving you are willing (and able) to put in that effort.
I don't know how your CCG works but I have heard of some having a quarterly insulin pump application review where they go through all applicants they have had over the last 3 months. When there is limited budget for insulin pumps, it makes sense to be able to compare multiple applicants to understand who has the greatest need. This may be what your consultant is suggesting.
I hope he has discussed the criteria for a pump. If not, I recommend reviewing these on INPUT diabetes and perhaps writing a letter to state your case.
If we want a pump and believe it would help us manage your diabetes, unfortunately, we have to be proactive and not just sit back and wait.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe not what you are wanting to hear, but in many areas you need to jump through hoops to get one. There is a limited funding for pumps in many areas and they are in high demand

The criteria in many areas is things like attending DAFNE course, people who have been diabetic for many years and may have Lipotherapy, unexplained highs and lows