Is two boiled eggs and a slice of that burgen bread OK to have

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What does your meter tell you?

For lunch today I had a two-egg mayo and a small slice of toasted Burgen smothered in butter with some cherry toms. I have this lunch frequently and I am fine with it, but of course, there is a lot more fat in my version. Your meter will tell you.

M

Member496333

Personally I’d leave the bread on the supermarket shelf and have four eggs instead, but we all have different goals. I understand that particular bread to be relatively low carbohydrate.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
1 slice of Burgen bread is 10.7g of carbs. The eggs virtually zero carbs. So it depends on what your carb target is.
I often have two poached eggs and 1 slice of wholemeal toast which is 15g of carbs for lunch.

Reactions: Shas3

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I also would eat the eggs, but add in bacon mushrooms a bit of salad, tomatoes - but not the bread. Bread is a bit boring really.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I'd devil those eggs good and proper and sprinkle on some bacon bits.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Omelette fried in butter, with a few mushrooms would be nice, perhaps some bacon and maybe even a sprinkle of grated cheese and chives and a sauted tomato for me please..... Sorry, got carried away, you weren't taking orders were you?:angelic:

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
I'm T1D on a lowish carb regime. I have variations of eggs, bacon, black pudding, tomatoes and occasionally a sausage. Depending on how low my BS is sometimes I'll have half a slice of fried wholemeal bread (a Bruce bonus)! There's also an option of 'no added sugar' baked beans weighing in at 19grms of carbs per 200grm tin.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Diane_56 I have eggs and Tesco’s high protein bread toasted at week ends and am ok. The last couple of days I’ve been off work with a stomach bug and had two slices toasted with marmalade for breakfast each day as my usual f/fat Greek yoghurt was too creamy for me and didn’t fancy eggs and my BS rose by 1.0 so I’m pleased with that. If you test you can see what affect it has.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
1 slice of Burgen bread is 10.7g of carbs. The eggs virtually zero carbs. So it depends on what your carb target is.

I'd say more that it depends on what your blood sugar target is.............two slices of any bread will have my sugars at around 15 for quite a few hours.............the answer? Check with your meter at the one and two hour mark after eating. If you spike then bread is a big no-no

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd say more that it depends on what your blood sugar target is.............two slices of any bread will have my sugars at around 15 for quite a few hours.............the answer? Check with your meter at the one and two hour mark after eating. If you spike then bread is a big no-no

Or save the strips and don't have the bread at all?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Depends where you are in your journey. In order to move towards mid 30 HbA1c's from 41, one thing I did was drop home made soda bread.

Looking at the number of carbs in even low carb shop bought bread, it's not much bang for buck, when I compare the volume to carb ratio of my home made bread like equivalents.

The recent Channel 5 documentary, Secrets of Your Supermarket Food, showed that some bread has up 27 ingredients, when a good Artisan bread will have 4. So know what you are buying. If I had one arm up my back and had to eat bread, it would have to be stone ground sour dough, made in the traditional way with non Monsanto or similar grains.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are questioning if eggs are safe, then recent meta studies have shown that whereas we were told to avoid eggs because of cholesterol fears, that now there is (a) no direct association between dietary cholesterol in eggs or prawns and the blood cholesterol measured by the doc, and (b) as a result eggs also do not raise the blood cholesterol. They are a good and healthy source of protein.

The salmonella scare of a few years back has gone away.

My experience with gliclazide shows it to be a gentle but powerful diabetic drug, and I found it gave me some hypos when I went low carb a few years ago. I dropped my dose from 4x80 mg a day to 1x 40 mg a day, and dropped my Hba1c from 99 down to 42 last year. I am now on Metformin only this year but having problems with hospital food, so not in a position to really confirm if I will still need to use Glic. I intend to keep it stopped until I have returned home and started up my LC diet again. Keep the tester handy.