Morning Highs

chloebuc

Hi, I have type one and have done for nearly 20 years. I am 29 years old and my bloods stay on the slightly high side of things.

I recently got the Freestyle Libre and it is helping me so much. However, I have noticed that I will wake up, and my bloods have been perfect all night and are still OK. I do my morning long acting (20 units levimir) and by the time I get to work my bloods have shot up to 15 - 20.

I've attached some screen shots to let you know what I mean. But i wondered if anyone else has this and how they stop it? I have tried to do some short acting insulin when I waken up but it's not accurate and I dont know how much to do.

Thanks,
Chloe

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 312
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 360
  • 2.png
    2.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 351
Reactions: Knikki

Pexy83

Snap. Been type 1 for 19.5 yrs and kust got this libre sensor also. Its good to see what is happening whilst you sleep. I have also noticed extreme spikes up to 20 around 19.00 everyday... i use lantus once a day in the evening. Ive been told that splitting the dose into 2 shots it stops these spikes...? Im yet to try that myself tho

Reactions: Knikki
K

Knikki

Hello.

Couple of things, Libre, always be wary of high or low readings because once it gets outside of it optimal range 4-10 mmol the readings can off by a fair bit ALWAYS check with finger prick test.

As for @chloebuc your rises in the morning can simply be down to "dawn phenomenon" this is where the body dumps glucose in to to you, basically to kick start the day, there are numerous threads at one the place that talk about it if you search.
It is normal for this to happen, it also happens to non-diabetics, however some do seem get much more of kick start than others.

@Pexy83 Lantus, is meant to be a 24 hour insulin, back ground, you probably know this, however many find that it lasts only 18-20 hours which is why you see the spike. Split dosing can help, helped me when I used it.

Please note I'm not a medical professional just long term T1.

Ooopppsss sorry forgot to add Welcome to the forum :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Traceymac23