For all those newly diagnosed

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Muddikins thank you so much for your long informative post. I have to decide how I can improve my situation. I cant fault Jim’s theory but I would struggle to reduce my food options so strictly. I have an incomplete pancreas so eating to the meter is essential. Maybe I will be forced to think on. Anyway this thread is about you not me and my warmest appreciation and best wishes for what you have achieved.
I have a good friend who had a Whipple's procedure. They were fortunate and did not developed diabetes but have to take supplementary pancreatic enzymes whenever they eat. I wish I knew more about it but sadly I don't. Mine is a bog standard T2 diagnosis and I have lots of people I can listen too because it is a well trodden path so I haven't done anything but follow. You are more of a pioneer, you have all my best wishes. Thank you for your kind words and I trust that you will find your way.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5 stone lost from Oct 18 - Mar 19 that's amazing well done but what's the real secret and can it be done without going outside?

Please can you give us an insight into what a normal day of eating is for you?
The secret is getting your body to stop overproducing insulin. Have you looked at Diet Doctor? it is explained there so much better than I can do. For me the best way was to go full keto and stop using carbs as my main fuel source.
Going outside wouldn't seem necessary to me. Exercise, and you can always exercise inside, helps but it is the diet that makes the difference.
I don't have much of a regime for eating these days and try and only eat when I am hungry and usually only once or twice a day.
During the weight loss phase food was a bit scant to be honest, low carb veg and some protein, fish, eggs, lean meat etc. The fat in the diet was largely my own fat at this stage, I did have a lot of it of course. It mainly had to be stir fried or turned into soup or a stew so nothing very exciting.
Post weight loss I needed to add some dietary fat and that has been butter, double cream or olive oil on the whole with fattier cuts of meat. I have some goose fat and plan to use lard and tallow more in future.
So, yesterday I was starving, no idea why but woke up and had some bacon and fried eggs with mushrooms and fried paneer. Mostly I wouldn't bother until lunch but this was at 06.00. I had a strong coffee with double cream later on. Tea was shoulder pork, cubed and turned into a sort of stew with scotch bonnet chillies, asparagus, fresh coriander, cauliflower, mushrooms, a few cherry tomatoes, and broccoli. That should have done me but it didn't so I ate an entire pack of sausages. Still hungry I had some chorizo, cheese and walnuts. Finally I stopped being hungry.
Today I cycled up for my DN appt, got my HbAc1 result and celebrated by cycling out into the country in preparation for a cycling sportive I have entered into in a couple of months. Had a bottle of water and cycled home. By now it's 2pm and I haven't eaten but I am not hungry so wait until 5 and celebrated with a rib eye steak, Bearnaise sauce, cauliflower, broccoli and asparagus (because that's what I had in the fridge). No cream in coffee, no nuts, no hunger.
Tomorrow is probably going to be a fishy day, I have some locally smoked kippers, not sure what I will do with them, but tomatoes and spinach seem likely contenders, maybe some green beans but who knows really. Ooh, it's Friday tomorrow, I allow myself a nip or two of whiskey, I wonder if whiskey sauce goes with kippers?
I am trying not to overthink it and I do not weigh anything or count anything, I just try and avoid carbs. So far, and it has been a couple of months or so now, my weight has stayed nice and stable, my blood work is very pleasing and I feel fantastic.
Hope that gives you some kind of insight? Thank you for your question:) Best of luck in your journey.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That settles it....I'm coming to live with you...that food sounds amazing...let your family know that there's going to be another person in line for the shower in the mornings and that if they want to go ahead and bake something to celebrate my arrival im partial to upside down pineapple cake....message me your address and as soon as i find someone to look after and feed my goldfish ill be there ..:) ... i hope you dont think im being too forwards!!:happy:

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can bring your goldfish, Jackthedog doesn't like water, nasty, cold , wet stuff he says, so it will be perfectly safe:)
Mind you you won't like pineapple upside down cake chez Muddikins since it would involve no pineapple or, indeed, cake.
Like many T2's I have never really had a sweet tooth, my carbs were all those yummy, starchy grains and pulses. Someone in another thread gave me a recipe for a sugar and sweetener free seedy, nutty, flapjacky sort of protein bar which I do like the look of, I figure I could melt some 100% chocolate on the top for you and provided you only looked at them, rather than actually ate them, you might be fooled;)

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Firstly apologies for those who, for whatever reason, are struggling or unable to fulfil their ambitions blood sugar wise. These threads must be difficult to read but when I was diagnosed in October last year it was these same ones that provided me with the motivation and ambition to really give LCHF a crack. If it worked for others then perhaps it could work for me.
So, October 2018, HbA1c 112, weight 19 stone 6 pounds.
Today, HbA1c 36, weight 13 stone 5 pounds.
The reason? My keeping my carb intake at about 20g per day.
If you have just been told that you are T2 and you feel confused and bewildered by all the contradictory advice out there then stay here and read around because you will find the knowledge you need to put yourself back in the drivers seat. I have gone from full of self doubt and blame, feeling like Death warmed up where even thinking felt like my head was full of treacle to feeling like I did twenty years ago.
Thank you to all you experts who have been blazing the trail, you know who you are, all I have done is follow your lead but without your guidance and clarity of thought I would be eating the Eatwell plate and staring down the barrel of diabetic complications.
Well done indeed. There's no need to say stick with it, because clearly you will.

Reactions: Muddikins

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A very heavy 115 kilos since I don't know when doctor happy and after 56 years T1 there is always hope around the corner as I have seen in the treatment avaialble from sugar in the urine test to the blood glucose meter and then the Libre . All a great step forward and hopfully not the last if the research that is going on great for the one in the future?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly apologies for those who, for whatever reason, are struggling or unable to fulfil their ambitions blood sugar wise. These threads must be difficult to read but when I was diagnosed in October last year it was these same ones that provided me with the motivation and ambition to really give LCHF a crack. If it worked for others then perhaps it could work for me.
So, October 2018, HbA1c 112, weight 19 stone 6 pounds.
Today, HbA1c 36, weight 13 stone 5 pounds.
The reason? My keeping my carb intake at about 20g per day.
If you have just been told that you are T2 and you feel confused and bewildered by all the contradictory advice out there then stay here and read around because you will find the knowledge you need to put yourself back in the drivers seat. I have gone from full of self doubt and blame, feeling like Death warmed up where even thinking felt like my head was full of treacle to feeling like I did twenty years ago.
Thank you to all you experts who have been blazing the trail, you know who you are, all I have done is follow your lead but without your guidance and clarity of thought I would be eating the Eatwell plate and staring down the barrel of diabetic complications.
That just took my breath away! You have blown this beast right out of the water. Thanks for sharing. Inspirational for so many especially for the newbies.

Reactions: Muddikins

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
What is LCHF and DN?
Acronyms should be banned
Guessing Low Carb something something and Diabetes Nurse?
Would it really take any more effort to avoid acronyms.
B(y) T(he) W(ay) I lost over 10 stone in 6 months but caused far more insulin sensitivity and all the problems that come out of the woodwork as a result
Good luck
TTFN

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is LCHF and DN?
Acronyms should be banned
Guessing Low Carb something something and Diabetes Nurse?
Would it really take any more effort to avoid acronyms.
B(y) T(he) W(ay) I lost over 10 stone in 6 months but caused far more insulin sensitivity and all the problems that come out of the woodwork as a result
Good luck
TTFN
Low Carb High Fat the way of eating that us T2 here bang on about as being transformative.. and yes Diabetes Nurse.. we do low our TLA's and FLA's too..