Has anyone here been a diabetic for more than 40 years?

big bob lol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed in 1978 41 years now type 1 always had a positive out look on life never held me back ruin anything live for the day things can change very quickly all the best to everyone on this forum
regards big bob

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I've been taking insulin since 1957, so coming up to 62 years. On 2 injections a day I've logged about 47k and often wonder how many those who take insulin 6 times a day log up in a lifetime.

Reactions: Lizeard

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
60 years and still going strong with no major complications. Consultants put that down to my being very disciplined about my diet. Far better to forgo biscuits, cakes and chocolate than suffer the results. I don't miss them and much prefer savoury food. Life is easier than when I was diagnosed. In those days you could only test urine at home, not blood and insulins were derived from animals. My maternal grandmother died from diabetes in 1924, the year insulin was first used clinically in the UK. There are times when I cry for her as I know how she must have suffered. I count my blessings and give thanks to Banting and best.

MicheleJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I clocked up 42 years in February.
on insulin 46 yrs now, so diagnosed at age 12 and am now 58. other autoimmune annoyances like coeliac, low thyroid and chronic fatigue. Insulin pumps have helped so much and would love one day to benefit from CGM
Complications would be cataract replacement which long term diabetes is linked to of course!

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I became a diabetic at age 12 now it is starting to take it's toll. I can no longer work because of neuropathy. What is a person to do?
Coming up to 60 yrs ,diagnosed in 1954 ,told to stop all sports,it could upset me .
Prescription included ,carburundum sheet to enable sharpening of needle, only one issued per month .
Still on list for pump fit
Wjowen

Lodovico

Wow many congratulations to you. Once you get your head around the pump I'm sure you will be fine. Take one day at a time and anything you don't understand ask. Smart thinking on buying the book as well.
I’ve also been diabetic type 1 52 years with no complications. I don’t need glasses even for reading. I’m 62 now and still working!!! So, it’s not all doom and gloom!!!! Cheers!!!!

Reactions: Triscornia

Penquin47210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
57 years now, originally via Kings College, Denmark Hill on insulin with 2 ONLY glass syringes which had to be boiled weekly, needles could be resharpened by Chemist. Only testing via pee...... even had cutting guide for thin sliced white bread. Now on pump with com some problems but mainly due to VERY active life doing anything and everything. Was originally member of BDA Bromley branch till went to Uni.

Main aim; never to allow it to stop me doing what I want.

Mike_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed in 1977 with T1. Over the years I’ve made the best of it and it’s never stopped me doing anything. You have to be positive and make the best of things, I walk 2 miles nearly every morning. This morning I was 2.1 when I tested before I went out, had my 21 units of Lantus ate a banana, made sure I had a snack in my jacket and off I went. I was 4.2 when I got back and felt fine. Would have been easy to to give in and say ‘not today’ but I make it a rule never to use my condition as an excuse. I’ve just come back from a 10 week tour around South America, never had a problem other than occasionally having slightly too much to drink. I don’t have any diabetes related problems other than high blood pressure and have had Ulcerative Colitis for 20 years, I shall be 71 on my next birthday. Don’t feel sorry for yourself, there are plenty worse off and you’re a long time deceased. Make the best of it and enjoy the life you have. Good luck.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Lizeard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I became a diabetic at age 12 now it is starting to take it's toll. I can no longer work because of neuropathy. What is a person to do?
I got diabetes T1 at 14 yrs old and have now had it for 52 years. I'm in reasonable health really, considering my teenage years were full of a don’t care attitude. My cataracts have just been done, neuropathy in my feet that isn’t too bad, raised blood pressure, hypo thyroid, coeliac disease, and asthma......all of these things are manageable.
Now I’m on a pump which I just love! Makes managing so much easier.

Reactions: therower

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diagnosed in 1980
Some sight loss but still work full time and have had 3 babies who are also well!
Knowing you have this condition can at times make you feel sorry for yourself but it can also make you take better care of yourself than the average person.
Makes me ponder the idea of denying my current self all that chocolate for the sake of my future self

Reactions: porl69

Teajay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Black pudding!
Hi
I've been type 1 for over 50 years, no problems at all. Perfect BMI and have been the same weight since my school days. (Apart from my huge weight gain in both pregnancies where I doubled my weight but was back to normal in 5 weeks !) My boys are both in their 30s now !

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just out of interest how many of the 40 years + people have issues because of it? I am 31 years and counting now and apart from a bit of background retinopathy I am doing pretty well. However as I am still only 40 years old I have a long way to go and was wondering about the chances of things deteriorating. I read somewhere the average life expectancy of a T1 is 69 so that is not really very good and what also worries me is quality of life rather than quantity
I was diagnosed December 1979 and have been on insulin for all but a few months since then. I decided to look after myself and I run a few times a week (slowly!) and do Pilates and yoga. I also walk a lot. I'm very strict with my diet but I travel quote a lot and am enjoying my life.
I had cataracts in both eyes which were operated on 20 years ago. My HbA1C is 42 and everything else is good. Maybe luck or a healthy lifestyle but I'm 72 and hopefully going strong. It didn't mean the end of my life when I was diagnosed but it felt like it sometimes. Don't let diabetes stop you living

Type of diabetes
Type 1
51 years for me as a Type 1. Mother of one and grandmother. Working full time as a lawyer and still going strong. Reason for my success, plenty of exercise and choosing food which suit me

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll be 40 years in January 2020. Luckily no diabetic complications. My sibling was diagnosed 6 months later and they have had no end of complications. The difference between keeping your bloods in control or not. Don't get me wrong I enjoy chocolate and wine (sometimes to much) but I exercise and keeping on top of things.

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
Hi Guys. Nice to see some long-term diabetics doing so well. My heart goes out tom those having complications. I'm on my 51st year since being diagnosed on 3/10/1968. Thankfully I have a clean bill of health (hope I haven't jinxed myself there) except for the back spasms I've had recently mainly attributed to a poor golf swing!

Margie@home

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have clocked up 62 years as type1. At first I thought my life was over. Diabetics died young and suffered amputations. I was scared of needles. I was on tablets for a bit with a starvation diet to avoid injections. This didn’t work and I lost even more weight and had no energy. I was caring at the time with disabled children and these wonderful kids taught me a lesson I shall never forget. Count your blessings. I looked at them and saw how they overcame many problems, they tried to get on and make the most of life with a smile.
Things have improved so much for us now. We never knew what our blood was doing. Had to boil up glass syringes and metal needles.insulin came in glass bottles and had to be mixed. Insulin had 20 40 or 80 strength so you had to make sure to work out the correct dose. When blood meters first came out they cost a months wages and plastic syringes were very expensive.
I have 3 children all have reached 50 and 7 grandchildren. I am so happy that none of them have got diabetes. In fact when I developed it no family relatives had. I was the only one.
I have always made sure Diabetes was not going to stop me from living. I have had Cancer, Spinal Surgery, Complete hip replacement, Pacemaker, Heart attack plus high blood pressure. I self funded the Libre testing for over 2 years and now get it on prescription. This has helped me so much and I am still going strong. Life is good we must all count our blessings.

Reactions: Lizeard
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Coming up to 60 yrs ,diagnosed in 1954 ,told to stop all sports,it could upset me .
Prescription included ,carburundum sheet to enable sharpening of needle, only one issued per month .
Still on list for pump fit
Wjowen

Wow that is incredible and amazing too, hat's to you :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have clocked up 62 years as type1. At first I thought my life was over. Diabetics died young and suffered amputations. I was scared of needles. I was on tablets for a bit with a starvation diet to avoid injections. This didn’t work and I lost even more weight and had no energy. I was caring at the time with disabled children and these wonderful kids taught me a lesson I shall never forget. Count your blessings. I looked at them and saw how they overcame many problems, they tried to get on and make the most of life with a smile.
Things have improved so much for us now. We never knew what our blood was doing. Had to boil up glass syringes and metal needles.insulin came in glass bottles and had to be mixed. Insulin had 20 40 or 80 strength so you had to make sure to work out the correct dose. When blood meters first came out they cost a months wages and plastic syringes were very expensive.
I have 3 children all have reached 50 and 7 grandchildren. I am so happy that none of them have got diabetes. In fact when I developed it no family relatives had. I was the only one.
I have always made sure Diabetes was not going to stop me from living. I have had Cancer, Spinal Surgery, Complete hip replacement, Pacemaker, Heart attack plus high blood pressure. I self funded the Libre testing for over 2 years and now get it on prescription. This has helped me so much and I am still going strong. Life is good we must all count our blessings.

Wow, another amazing post, well done, it was tough all those years ago, but you got through it, so keep on doing what you are doing :)
I'm sure your story will inspire many other's, an awesome read :)