Libre GP Prescription Issue

SpeakN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been self funding my Libre for a long time now. I’m looked after by my GP and went to her on Tuesday now the NHS has agreed nationwide funding.

She agreed I met the criteria and agreed to prescribe it. However, she was unable to find it on her computer prescription system. She called me back today and said both her and another doctor at the practice still couldn’t find it.

Has anyone else had this issue or can give me any help on what I can tell them so they can find it?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @SpeakN It should be on their system, so it depends on what she's searching for, are you on contact via email, if so send her the link to Abbotts website: https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/

I think it would be easy to mis-spell any part of it, hopefully this is the reason she cannot locate it on her system

D

Deleted Account

In my area, I believe there is some convoluted way that only my hospital based diabetes team can prescribe Libre.
I don't know the details but I know there is additional admin (and no additional person to do it) which is slowing down the prescription.
I would not be surprised if my GP struggled to spell "Libre" (or know what one was).

In short, it may be worthwhile contacting your DSN if you have one.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Still not being prescribed for adults in my area, Suffolk however been invited to a discussion re this later this month. Hopeful that I will be considered.

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm currently on a 4 week trial, I twill then go back for a review and hopefully get them on prescription after. I got the current 2 sensors from the chemist at the hospital x

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm currently on a 4 week trial, I twill then go back for a review and hopefully get them on prescription after. I got the current 2 sensors from the chemist at the hospital x
Are you in the same area as me? I was told not available yet when asked earlier in year.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Still not being prescribed for adults in my area, Suffolk however been invited to a discussion re this later this month. Hopeful that I will be considered.
It's worth bearing in mind that they are NOT allowed to do this with the recent changes to NHS policy.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
She called me back today and said both her and another doctor at the practice still couldn’t find it.

That was the case with my GP several months ago. I will never qualify but in my conversations with my GP I was told that the FS Libre is not the only thing that might not appear on her list of prescribable items.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is new national criteria from the 1st April - if you fit it they have to prescribe it! Partha Kar (Associate National Clinical Director, Diabetes with NHS England leading on digital innovation) has been instrumental in getting the new criteria through and is actively chasing up any stories of people being refused. If you're on Twitter at all he's definitely worth following (@parthaskar)

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for that Tim and Becky helpful, unfortunately I was informed they hadn’t sorted out the criteria yet!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for that Tim and Becky helpful, unfortunately I was informed they hadn’t sorted out the criteria yet!
Then you need to go back to them and ask them which criteria they are sorting out, given that there are national criteria that apply throughout England and Wales.

Those criteria are available in this document: https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-conte...toring-national-arrangements-funding-v1.1.pdf

I would go back to your GP, take them the letter and ask them very politely, and very surely, which of the NHS England criteria they are struggling with, given that this is not a local CCG matter any more, and why they are lying to you about determining the criteria, given they are already published.

If they still prevaricate, tell them you will be opening a case with the GMC, PALS and NHS England about their local failure to comply with national policy and the issues of having medical staff continually lie to you about availability of criteria that have been made mandatory by NHS England. I'd also ask the GP for the details of your local CCG and communicate directly with the chair, asking them why they are operating in contravention of the national policy and have been lying to their GPs.

It's worth using the term "lying" as this is pejorative and something that medical professionals can face disciplinary action for.

You may have to push, but it is not okay for them to lie to you like that.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Then you need to go back to them and ask them which criteria they are sorting out, given that there are national criteria that apply throughout England and Wales.

Those criteria are available in this document: https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-conte...toring-national-arrangements-funding-v1.1.pdf

I would go back to your GP, take them the letter and ask them very politely, and very surely, which of the NHS England criteria they are struggling with, given that this is not a local CCG matter any more, and why they are lying to you about determining the criteria, given they are already published.

If they still prevaricate, tell them you will be opening a case with the GMC, PALS and NHS England about their local failure to comply with national policy and the issues of having medical staff continually lie to you about availability of criteria that have been made mandatory by NHS England. I'd also ask the GP for the details of your local CCG and communicate directly with the chair, asking them why they are operating in contravention of the national policy and have been lying to their GPs.

It's worth using the term "lying" as this is pejorative and something that medical professionals can face disciplinary action for.

Thanks Tim,
This is very helpful I will be attending a meeting tomorrow evening to discuss possible prescription of this. I do over 10 blood tests a day and Diabetes even with pump diffic

Been to meeting tonight have been given criteria and told will have to wait until next apt with Dr ( last one I had to cancel due to ill health. Given a further apt 6 months later not with my consultant told to cancel it ,as had to seek help before then, saw Diabetes nurse next apt late July 2019 . Told tonight would have to wait till then. I questioned this as had been told would qualify by consultant well over a year ago. Told to phone and ask to speak to him. Hopefully will get somewhere with this!
Thanks for your advice.

AndyGW

Hi,
I may have been at same meeting as you tonight (Ipswich).
Consultant I spoke to at the back was saying that they’re likely to be quite lenient on interpretation of the criteria regarding “...are clinically indicated as requiring intensive monitoring >8 times daily...” which was where I thought they might be able to weasel themselves out of if taking the “requiring intensive monitoring” wording literally. Told me would look at history before self-funding and not just at the HBA1c record but more the improvement in management itself and that so given me a lot of confidence that I should be able to get funded.
Also, with my next doctor/consultant review not until end of June was told by nurse to book an appointment with him (nurse) for an earlier review and he (nurse) should be able to do the assessment there and then.

Happy days!

Andy

SpeakN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Update on my issue. I've spoken to my GP again and been through the NHS document including the section that states that your GP should issue the Libre if your diabetes is looked looked after by your GP. She doesn't dispute what the document says or that I meet the criteria. She agreed to discuss it with the other partners at the practice.

I've now received a phone call from the practice administrator to inform me that the GPs won't be issuing the Libre and the only option is to be referred for an appointment at the hospital. I asked if I could have a call or another appointment to discuss with the GP again but this has been ignored so I'm now left waiting for a hospital appointment. This is very frustrating because the hospital know nothing about me - the last time I was looked after by the hospital was 25 years ago when I turned 18. I assume it will also takes a long time to get an appointment given that its not an urgent issue.

I’ve been self funding my Libre for a long time now. I’m looked after by my GP and went to her on Tuesday now the NHS has agreed nationwide funding.

She agreed I met the criteria and agreed to prescribe it. However, she was unable to find it on her computer prescription system. She called me back today and said both her and another doctor at the practice still couldn’t find it.

Has anyone else had this issue or can give me any help on what I can tell them so they can find it?

Reactions: ChrissiStar

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
My consultant said i should send her my Libre data via Diasend , in a few weeks she will then write to the GP.
I really don't understand all this hassle, my strips would be more expensive.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I may have been at same meeting as you tonight (Ipswich).
Consultant I spoke to at the back was saying that they’re likely to be quite lenient on interpretation of the criteria regarding “...are clinically indicated as requiring intensive monitoring >8 times daily...” which was where I thought they might be able to weasel themselves out of if taking the “requiring intensive monitoring” wording literally. Told me would look at history before self-funding and not just at the HBA1c record but more the improvement in management itself and that so given me a lot of confidence that I should be able to get funded.
Also, with my next doctor/consultant review not until end of June was told by nurse to book an appointment with him (nurse) for an earlier review and he (nurse) should be able to do the assessment there and then.

Happy days!

Andy
Doesn’t seem the case for me following phone call had to leave message. Was phoned back by Chris who said my conversation was not documented as I stated and just said I may buy more for holidays, no mention that I was doing 8 or more blood tests a day and Dr P had said that would qualify me! He is going to leave a note for Dr P. Not feeling very reassured. I wish u good luck ,

AndyGW

Doesn’t seem the case for me following phone call had to leave message. Was phoned back by Chris who said my conversation was not documented as I stated and just said I may buy more for holidays, no mention that I was doing 8 or more blood tests a day and Dr P had said that would qualify me! He is going to leave a note for Dr P. Not feeling very reassured. I wish u good luck ,
Oh dear.
That’s really bad. I don’t know the name of the consultant chap who was there on Wednesday (at the back near nurse rooms) but he was confident that I would/should get on prescription even though I already have relatively good control and no massive reduction in HbA1c (7.5% to 6.7%) since using Libre over the last 3 years and do very few finger pricks now given that I takes 14-16 readings a day from sensor via phone app (recorded on sensor usage bit of app). He agreed that if my ‘records should show’ far fewer peaks and troughs since using Libre and so ‘better’ control that I should qualify. It was indeed Chris who suggested reaching out to him for an assessment rather than waiting for my appointment with Dr P at end of June and certainly came away feeling confident.
At least good to hear that Chris phoned you back, though not so good about his response. Try being more forceful/direct... might be just getting and end to my bringing the subject up at every occasion that they’re keen to get rid of me.
All the best - I wish you well.