Hypo trip

Hotmale.co.uk

Hi.

I'm just wondering about your weirdest/worst hypo experiences. A few weeks ago I had one where it felt more like some kind of scary LSD acid trip or something. It's kind of hard to explain without it sounding a bit nuts.

I've had many hypos before (the trippier ones have always been whilst I've been asleep - usually in the form of a bad dream/nightmare) where you then eventually wake up - formerly in a pool of my own sweat (that no longer happens as I've lost that particular hypo sign) and still with a low BS level.

As I said this one I had several weeks ago was like a waking nightmare - whilst I was trying to walk and fumble around for some sweet stuff to eat (often in the wrong room) I had some seriously trippy thoughts and one particular one that is connected to my life brought on a terrible sense of confusion and dread. My vision was also 'coloured' kind of like if you put a filter on an SLR camera which changes the hue. As I said, it's kind of difficult to explain unless you were there - hence my earlier description of it feeling like a bad acid trip (LSD) - )if you haven't tried that then I recommend you do it at least once in your life).

Finally I managed not to pass out and scoff a load of cereal bar things I eventually located in a cupboard. When I was able to check my blood some minutes later it was 1.8mmol (which I believe is around 31 in the new money).

It didn't feel like a hypo I've had before and I had one (years and years ago) a few years after being diagnosed where I was falling around into walls and doors etc. and a house-mate actually called the ambulance - but even that particularly bad one was nothing like this. It actually got me a bit worried that it was something more neurological/brain tumoury.

So, . . . how about you guys . . . .Should I be making a neuro appointment?

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was staying at a friend's years ago, and woke up hypo, not realising at the time as I was in hypo drunk mode, went to the back door for a smoke, her dog followed me and I was there having a full blown conversation, attempting to share my not lit cigarette with the dog. When my friend realised I wasn't with it she took me into the living room where her mum force fed me spoons of sugar from the sugar pot. I've not had a 'drunken' hypo like that since.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi and welcome @Hotmale.co.uk :)

Hopefully you've now got some fast acting glucose on you at all times so glucotabs, jelly babies, juice, so carrying it with you at all times and in arms reach of your bedside ?

Hypos do some very strange things, recently a member here reported not being able to feel their legs, I always feel a bit surreal, sometimes alienated from my body, just remember during a hypo your brain is lacking glucose so any effect of this is going to be slightly surreal/weird.. Oddly enough sometimes I can think incredibly clearly and become creative but that doesn't last long, the key is to treating it as quickly as possible with the fastest acting glucose available ;)

Hotmale.co.uk

Hi and welcome @Hotmale.co.uk :)

Hopefully you've now got some fast acting glucose on you at all times so glucotabs, jelly babies, juice, so carrying it with you at all times and in arms reach of your bedside ?

;)

I usually have those Dextro Energy things on me - especially when out. But here's another thing that might be worth mentioning - when I'm having a hypo I seem to not want to eat the energy tablets unless it's a last resort. Like my brain is wanting something more 'satisfying' hence rummaging around for chocolate cakes or bars or whatever instead of the much less satisfying energy tablets or lucozade drink (bleeuurggh).

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Hotmale.co.uk Wow that's strange, so do I, it's as if I could conjure up something wild and interesting to eat instead of glucotabs and so spend ages rummaging through the cupboards for it instead of doing the most obvious thing and treating the hypo, doh !!

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's why I have jelly babies as my emergency - I like them. Fortunately I have the self-control to not touch them until necessary :)

Re the symptoms - yup, hypos can be weird. I'd not worry too much yet.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
One I remember very clearly. After work on a Friday, picked daughter up from her dad's then we went shopping in Morrisons. I strted to feel very odd and thought there was a conspiracy going on and I ended up on the floor with my knees up to my chest crying, bless my darling daughter as it was worrying for her and probably a bit embarrassing too and I wouldn't drink the Lucozade that I was given, as I dislike it and hate the taste. very weird indeed and I would imagine as the OP said feeling like being on some sort of 'trip' :wideyed: it was :nailbiting:

D

Deleted Account

Not exactly a "trip" but the only time I have required assistance when I had a severe hypo was when I had only been going out with my boyfriend for a short time. We have been drinking wine and I had miscalculated the insulin so passed out after we had got to my home and ... progressed to the bedroom.
When I came to, there was my boyfriend and two complete strangers in my house, sitting on my bed whilst I was wearing only a duvet. I was very concerned about what they were going to do to me. Were they going to ramsack my house? Were they going to attack me whilst I was feeling very exposed? Could I trust this new boyfriend?
Turned out the strangers were paramedics and they were quite helpful. Nearly 10 years later, the boyfriend is still around and I have not repeated the severe hypo thing.

Reactions: Dodo and EllieM

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
..would it be inappropriate to lol?? I know not funny really, but oh yeah, been there :facepalm: :angelic:

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was reading some posts of mine from a year ago about insulin and eating. I was told by all those there about how you don't need to eat when u have insulin. I really wasn't taught that but my diabetes nurse in so surprised. My sister who from today started her insulin will have that in her mind that she must take her insulin when she eats. It's still dunt make much sense to me almost a year later!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Regarding hypos waking from or during the day?

Yep, my eyesight has been affected by light sensitivity, colour blindness, blurred vision and sometimes acompanying flashing lights (white LED like.) in the lower field of vision. There have been times (I've mentioned before on the forum.) a green, blue or purple "gossamer butterfly wing" resembling in shape an outline of of a generic map of France?
Though not fun, my mental state has gone from the feeling I've walked into a room for something, & forgotten why.
To racing to solve something like a random point in time (like a broken tea cup.) & tracking the events from the dawn of time that influenced it happening?

Benny G

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This last year I have been aggressively low carb and enjoying libre. I have pushed my hba1c down to 39 or 5.7 tight control implies more hypos.
I know what you mean about the hypos that feel like a bad trip or a psychotic break. A few weeks ago I had a close call hypo while preparing a meal. I knew I was going to be be eating soon so I didn't want to 'ruin' my supper by eating dextro tabs, as my hypo started to take control I suddenly became manically convinced that I was a secret agent cooking up a special recipe. A recipe that required me to randomly open packets, and tins, then mix all kinds of weird oddments into a big pot. I eventually succumbed and crumpled on the floor munching Dextro tabs. My mania waned and my senses returned. There was a huge mess but I was glad my kitchen had not burned down; the 'secret recipe' all went in the dustbin.

Reactions: JMK1954 and Dodo
D

Deleted Account

I was reading some posts of mine from a year ago about insulin and eating. I was told by all those there about how you don't need to eat when u have insulin. I really wasn't taught that but my diabetes nurse in so surprised. My sister who from today started her insulin will have that in her mind that she must take her insulin when she eats. It's still dunt make much sense to me almost a year later!!
I think this is a basal/bolus thing.
I will take bolus (fast acting like NovoRapid) insulin when I eat (unless I eat a small amount).
I do not need to eat anything when I take basal (slow acting like Lantus) insulin.
In addition, I do not need to eat if I am taking a correction bolus.

So, you need to take insulin when you eat but you don't need to eat when you take insulin.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Bad hypos.....oooh had a fair few of those..... Worst one I can remember is waking up in the early hours in a pool of sweat, going to the toilet and looking in the mirror, seeing a very white me there. I convinced myself I was dead, then started crying as I was trying to think of ways to tell everyone I was dead!!!!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
When you think of that 20% of our brain is absolutely reliant on glucose for fuel and what the brain
as the nerve centre of operations does,
is it any wonder we experience weird things and exhibit weird behaviours at times!!
Imagine a telecommunications centre having a hypo !!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hypos can be very weird, and disturbing.
Yes, I’ve had some humdingers in my time from loving the glorious enhanced beauty of the landscape to thinking I’d died and was on the threshold of an afterlife.
The worst were when time was distorted and I felt I knew what was going to happen - it had, I think, already happened or been said but neural processing just didn’t have enough fuel to keep up with itself.
I DON’T want any more of those, they were back in the days of clunking dosing and overlapping basal, but I always welcome the visual delights. Luckily I recognise them for what they are now and just have to have the strength to munch something that’ll take me back to the so-called ‘real’ world.
It does make one wonder how ‘real’ it is since it’s dependant on fluctuating neural processes.

D

Deleted Account

Imagine a telecommunications centre having a hypo !!
I work in telecoms - they often have hypos. Most of them are of the type where only those who know you really well can tell you are hypoing but it is affecting your behaviour.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kindly explain. My experience is control implies LESS hypos. (Apologies if this is going off-thread.)
@JAT1 a lower A1c to some HCPs "implies" to thier understanding that the patient "must" be having more hypos than they should at all to achive this?
It allways is a concern for the doc, but not always factually the case with a wary eye on BGs.. :)