Reducing meds

Lesley56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c is down to 53 from over 100 but I'm hoping that as things improve I can reduce meds, have suffered bloating for years and GP thought it might be gall bladder related but that has been removed and still have a problem, had problems with metformin which is why I went onto to time release version, Diabetic clinic increased dose to two twice a day. from 2 in morning and 1 in evening, might try reducing to 3 as have to have a blood test in 3 months time, just feeling a bit low because I hoped by getting things under control I could reduce my meds as also take Saxagliptin and Dapagliflozin so take 8 tablets a day and am want to reduce them if I can, GP says that my diabetes control is excellent at the moment and is only reducing the metformin to try and reduce bloating, is that something I have to put with and how hard is to reduce medication

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly congratulations on reducing your HbAc1, that is a job well done.
However it is still above 'normal' levels. I don't think I would be inclined to reduce my meds before I knew I had proper dietary control except following consultation and in agreement with my GP.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Reducing meds with out discussing with GP/Diabetic team is only for the very experienced I would say.......it's easy to be tempted to go for it....especially when you read other members signatures and see that they are doing it but I see those members giving serious,in depth answers and feel that their knowledge and experience of THEIR body puts them at equal or better than healthcare professionals to make decisions about it.

Lesley56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry missed a bit out, GP wants me to cut out the evening dose completely, its still early days I did wonder if I was a bit premature in wanting them reduced

M

Member496333

Sorry but in my opinion 53mmol/mol is too high to recommend reducing medication. I would continue working on diet and then reducing drugs once you’re able to get into the mid-30 range or low 40 at least.

Lesley56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but in my opinion 53mmol/mol is too high to recommend reducing medication. I would continue working on diet and then reducing drugs once you’re able to get into the mid-30 range or low 40 at least.
OK thanks, have been bloated for years I suppose a bit longer won't make much difference

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is just my personal opinion and I am not making recommendations but the Metformin would be the last of the three drugs that you are on that I would wish to lower/stop taking. This is easy for me to say, though, as I had none of the side effects.