Hypo trip

MauroM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The first time I had a severe hypo was strange, but more like slowly having my counciousness returning, bit by bit, after being treated by my parents and paramedics. Now, the second time, I remember worrying about synchronization of clocks with the galactic time and how that would affect the workings of the senate (nedless to say, I'm a star wars nerd) and arguing with my father about it. One of my father's colleagues was in our living room at the moment and I still remember his expression witnessing this.:hilarious:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The first time I had a severe hypo was strange, but more like slowly having my counciousness returning, bit by bit, after being treated by my parents and paramedics. Now, the second time, I remember worrying about synchronization of clocks with the galactic time and how that would affect the workings of the senate (nedless to say, I'm a star wars nerd) and arguing with my father about it. One of my father's colleagues was in our living room at the moment and I still remember his expression witnessing this.:hilarious:

Lol, time travel conundrums... Yep, back in the day when I was first dating my now wife. We came out of the cinema after going to see Timecop.. Guess who nearly voided the date going on a long monologue, attempting to unravel the films plot with the "science." Not my first ever hypo. But I guess it was for her.. ;)

Reactions: Dodo

Benny G

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kindly explain. My experience is control implies LESS hypos. (Apologies if this is going off-thread.)
Several reasons. As control is tightened you are much closer to the hypo tipping point, therefore always close to hypo.
Hypo awareness. Your body adapts to whatever your regular blood glucose level is. For instance if your control is poor and your levels are usually between 9 and 15 then if your glucose dropped to 5 or 6 you may experience a false hypo. If your control is tight and levels are usually between 4 and 6 then each little hypo can reduce hypo awareness. (By the time I feel a hypo coming on my glucose level is usually around 2.5) This lack of hypo awareness makes severe hypos more likely as you do not feel them creeping up.
I use libre and blucon with a smartwatch to allow alarms to warn me. Without adequate monitoring tight control is too risky.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I hate hypos and get hot and feel wobbly shaky and sometimes a bit confused and feel like my movements are in slow motion

I just can’t get treatment right as I panic and glug too much glucogel wanting to get out of hypo quickly

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I just feel like if you are getting hypos that severe that you really need a CGM, either a Libre and download an app that will give you alarms or A Dexcom. At night it can be really dangerous. I guess it is easier here in the US to get CGM's and pumps, it just depends on your insurance coverage if/how much is covered. My Dexcom now alerts me or wakes me up if my BG drops under 3.9.

I never have had what I would call a severe hypo. But I have had northern lights when blinking and know it is a sign my BG's are dropping. Also anxiety, irritability and I mostly get ravenously hungry and have learned to not eat too much (most of the time lol)

Reactions: porl69

McC 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
only 4 months diagnosed with type 1... was in Sainsbury’s doing weekly shopping.. bit of a headache., no pre warning of a hypo but all of a sudden couldn’t see properly, couldn’t make out what aisle I was in, never experienced anything like it, I was totally out of it and thought I was going to collapse, luckily my husband was there to help me.. frightened the life out of me