Got the lurgy

Mrsbris

I think I might know the answer to this but in case there's anything I've missed.... I've got a really terrible cold. Been doing the usual sick day rules, checking ketones if BG too high etc. That's all going fine. But... my nose is so bunged up and my throat is really tickly and sore at same time. I know i cant take decongestant so I've been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol, drinking lots of water, hot water and lemon, using olbas oil and steam. But is there anything else I can do/use to alleviate my symptoms?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I use Eucalyptus oil. Put a drop on your pillow, inhale straight from the vial, use as a steam infusion. It’s usually pretty good at helping to alleviate symptoms.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mum use to use a similar product to tiger balm, I think it is called white flower oil. Similar to what Fairgodmother is saying, it is eucalyptus. but instead of drop, you can rub it on your chest, temples etc. I hope you get well soon!

Mrsbris

Thanks...Will give olbas oil another go and check out eucalyptus oil.. it's the really tickly sore throat that's the killer... Think I might have broken a rib coughing so violently. Good to know there isn't some miracle I've been missing out on all these years.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
is there anything else I can do/use to alleviate my symptoms?

Have you tried Vics vapour rub? Rub it all over your ribs (front and back) and onto your throat, then wear an old tee-shirt to bed...that should help you to get a good night's sleep. Hope you're soon feeling better.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is there a reason we can’t rake decongestants? I do if I have a head cold, with no problem.

D

Deleted member 308541

Milligan / Sellers / Secombe have a lot to answer for, for the "Dreaded Lurgi".

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is there a reason we can’t rake decongestants? I do if I have a head cold, with no problem.
I couldn't when I was on blood pressure medication, but I take them now. In fact right now! As I have the lurgy too and it''s not nice. Strepsils make sugar free lozenges

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Join the glub.
Might be a different strain here in Oz but similar symtoms.
I use Vicks, breathing in sdteam and I always try to remember to blow my dnose dus:
blocgk off one ngostril 'n' blow through other ad a time. Not blowing through two ad once !.
Blowing one ngostril ad a time stops muck being blown up to da inside of my ears
'n' gcausing ear infection.
Senega and Ammonia for phlegmy cough, small amount ta honey in warm wadter for
tickly, dry cough/sore dthroat.
7 day course - and no kissing odthers !! ( not udders)!!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Thanks...Will give olbas oil another go and check out eucalyptus oil.. it's the really tickly sore throat that's the killer... Think I might have broken a rib coughing so violently. Good to know there isn't some miracle I've been missing out on all these years.

Riccola herbal cough sweets! I’m not one for alternative medicine but these worked for me.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Milligan / Sellers / Secombe have a lot to answer for, for the "Dreaded Lurgi".

Thank you, finally a spelling and origin of the dreaded condition.!! And a cure !! expensive as always !!!