When not to administer insulin???

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I hope you are all well? I’m after a little advice please.

Have your DM’s advised you when you shouldn’t inject? I’ve had no advice from them really tho regarding this.

I currently inject NovoRapid p (16u) 4 times a day and Levemir (46u) last thing at night.

This afternoon, I took my bg and it was 3.7 so I decided it would be sensible not to administer anymore. Obviously, that’s common sense really.

However, I’m curious as to whether there are guidelines or not

Thanks all in advance

D

Deleted Account

The advice I was given in that scenario would be to treat the hypo and then inject insulin as normal.
You may consider reducing your fast acting bolus insulin (NovoRapid) but unless I was repeated going low, I would not adjust my slow acting basal insulin (Levemir) based on my current BG.

You appear to be on fixed insulin doses.
I carb count and adjust my insulin dose based on my BG and how many carbs I am eating.
This allows me to correct with additional insulin if I am higher than my target BG and less insulin if I was lower. But the advice would always be to treat the hypo.

Reactions: Libby3781

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
NovoRapid I have to keep at 16u, anything higher causes me hypo’s. I’m supposed to be increasing my Levemir....but not having much joy trying to do that.

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
During a hospital stay in 2017 I was prescribed Humulin M3 to inject morning & evening on discharge from hospital I continued to inject as instructed. I suffered horrendous hypo's day & night then contacted my DN. She immediately told me to reduce the hospital prescribed dose & after a phone call the next day she told me to STOP any more insulin injections immediately,at this time my BG levels were quite normal & should not have been injecting after my hospital release but was discharged with Insulin pens & a prescription for more.

During a night time hypo my wife checked my BG & was down to 2.4 mm/0L,Never again have I injected insulin, not needed to, due to good T2 control.