please can someone help!!

smokey

I have had 2 blood test, both came back with high blood sugar level, I went to see my doctor today and for years his has been trying to change my medication (which I take for fluid on the brain) now he has told me that it is these tablets that is doing it ( I have taken them for over 4 years) I have been drinking a lot up half the night to go to the toilet and falling asleep a lot during the day, without this medication I'm going to get the worst headaches you can think of, and then problems with my eyes, is there anyone who can advice me, my doctor said I have to wait a least 3 weeks before another test please help Smokey

ClaireG 06

Hi Smokey
I'm sorry i don't know anything about your condition or your medication. The best advice i can give you is that if your not happy with what your Dr said to try and see a different Dr.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Smokey

In your place I'd ask for a full explanation because you didn't understand him (little white lie!), and/or a second opinion. Also what he's going to give you to replace your present medication.

You don't say how old you are - maybe he thinks you're too young for Type 2? Whatever your age, you're not!

Try to be strong, and challenge him. And check out your medication side-effects by Googling.

Best of luck

Viv 8)

smokey

I'm 42 years old so I'm in the right age group I suppose! Thank for the advise I have look up the medication and it can cause high blood sugar for a diabetic, but that's all it says, he has given me a new one, but not as strong so, I know I'm going to have trouble, after one day I am already suffering with what they call pressure headaches,

It was a long shot putting this question on here, but I have been reading a lot of site over the past few day abd took a chance, once again thanks a lot Smokey

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Has he actually tested you for diabetes? There are other ways of doing it, I think, than blood tests only - if more complicated and expensive.

An oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) ought to give some indication.

If you are diabetic you certainly shouldn't be taking anything that will raise your blood sugars, so you may have to make a change to your meds. I'm not qualified, so I can't advise you properly. However, the symptoms you describe could be due to high blood glucose; on the other hand, they could be due to something else, so keep your doctor on-side.

Good luck

Viv 8)

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
If you are diabetic you certainly shouldn't be taking anything that will raise your blood sugars, so you may have to make a change to your meds.

Not always true sometimes you have to take the hit for the greater good
and use BG meds to combat the hit, All depends what other ailments you have
can go the other way as well

My old GP also had a knee jerk reaction
When he found out i was diabetic removed all my arthritic drugs there and then.

I take a few drugs that do effect my BG , I take them at different times to meals
to lower the effect ,also some drugs can lower BG not always make them go higher
example Naproxen can lower mine.

I would book a second appointment with GP try ask for a double time slot
as normally only give you 8<>10 min, Make a list of questions to ask if your like me your forget
something ,,take someone with you less likely to fob you off
and ask GP to explain to you whats going on ,and what treatment path he advises
and do you need to see a consultant

Be it diabetic or not

Bob

smokey

Yes the Dr has tested, that why the change in the medication. I have another appointment to see him friday, if I can last that long with my head feeling like it's going to explode every time I move, I understand what you are all saying about not taking medication that affect blood sugar level, but believe me I can't go on without that medication and in time it will do me more damage than good, just like a diabetic going without their insulin, so sometime you have to just, use medication to live a normal life
Thank to everyone for their help

Smokey

NewdestinyX

smokey said:
Yes the Dr has tested, that why the change in the medication. I have another appointment to see him friday, if I can last that long with my head feeling like it's going to explode every time I move, I understand what you are all saying about not taking medication that affect blood sugar level, but believe me I can't go on without that medication and in time it will do me more damage than good, just like a diabetic going without their insulin, so sometime you have to just, use medication to live a normal life
Thank to everyone for their help

Smokey
Exactly right, Smokey. Your medication for the brain condition is a must for your quality of life. Massive headaches daily would make life impossible. You may just need to go on a more aggressive blood sugar lowering regimen like insulin to control the blood glucose levels. Uncontrolled blood sugar - no matter what the reason can do very damaging things to your body too. So you'll need to counteract the blood glucose issue 'some way'. You and your doctor will have to decide the best way to approach it. Good luck!