LadA

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I discussed my sister being told she has lada diabetes. She started her insulin Yesterday just like her nurse told her to. All was ok until in the evening she had a hypo. Obviously it being her first one she was quite frightened. She had her supper- a carby one and took the amount of insulin her nurse told her to take and woke up at 3am sweating with another hypo. She one on her first the day and one during the night. I'm trying to help her as much as I can. What do u all think of this?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think she should talk to her diabetes team so they can help work out the dosages she needs - as mentioned in many places nobody is the same, so she may need a change in dosage - either the basal or the insulin/carb ratio.

Having just changed insulins I know the new dosages have been a bit of trial and error and many blood tests to work out what is right, as someone who has had diabetes for far too long I can work out what changes I need from testing and experience, but your sister will probably want to get advice form her team as she is new to insulin.

Reactions: Saeeda

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I discussed my sister being told she has lada diabetes. She started her insulin Yesterday just like her nurse told her to. All was ok until in the evening she had a hypo. Obviously it being her first one she was quite frightened. She had her supper- a carby one and took the amount of insulin her nurse told her to take and woke up at 3am sweating with another hypo. She one on her first the day and one during the night. I'm trying to help her as much as I can. What do u all think of this?

Is she in the UK? If so, she should have either a named Diabetes nurse she can telephone at any time to discuss things or a team and a telephone number. This is really important in the first few weeks or more after diagnosis when you are using insulin. When they send you off on day one they are simply GUESSING what amount of insulin you need for the carbs you eat as there is no way of determining this straight off. They start you off on the average (which includes looking at your body weight and maybe based on what you 'normally' eat). The point of phoning them several times a day if need be is so that they can then advise you about lowering (or increasing) your daily/singular doses in real time. The hypos are extremely dangerous as I am sure you know, please don't underestimate them. It is day one for your sister, insulin is a potent drug and she needs the close assistance of her diabetes team. x

Reactions: Saeeda

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rokaab she is only on basal so takes a certain amount that her nurse has told her. She rang her nurse who told her to reduce it which she did but still ended up with another hypo during the night

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
KK123 yes she is in the UK. And has done what u mentioned. Everything uve said is what I told her about and I've told her she needs to ring the nurse again. She rang yesterday and was told to reduce. I agree that they are simply guessing how much inslin u need

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All you can do is reduce the Basal until the BS stays within a good range. Over time the diabetes will progress together with the need to increase the number of units. A Bolus insulin will also be added when necessary.

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Daibell...wouldn't that lower her sugars even more?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Daibell...wouldn't that lower her sugars even more?
As insulin enables the body to make use of sugar (glucose) by reducing it the body will be left with more glucose in the blood and lower the hypo risk.