diabetes and sepsis

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im due to have surgery on monday is it common for diabetics to get sepsis and how would i know if i have it and what should i do

Reactions: kitedoc

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The risk is higher the higher your blood sugars are. I have maintained non diabetic numbers since four months after diagnosis in May ‘17 and have two successful operations since then. The nurses will be doing regular checks post op to detect if anything is going wrong post surgery. All the best for Monday.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with the op @merlin 2. Try not to worry about it because best. to keep your bloods steady. Like Rachox said they will be checking you regularly so all should be fine.

Reactions: kitedoc and Rachox

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im due to have surgery on monday is it common for diabetics to get sepsis and how would i know if i have it and what should i do

Merlin, there has been a valuable campaign recently in the UK to raise awareness of sepsis. As others have said, if your blood sugars are a bit all over the place or running higher than desired, then the risk increases, so keeping your bloods in good shape is very important.

Whilst sepsis does occur, it is, by comparison to procedures carried out and the population still pretty rare - hence the need to make people aware of it's existance.

If at any time, whilst you are in hospital, or when at home recovering you develop fever like symptoms or are otherwise concerned about your well-being or safety, then ask the ward staff, or if at home, call 111 to ask for advice.

Good luck on Monday.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The risk is higher the higher your blood sugars are. I have maintained non diabetic numbers since four months after diagnosis in May ‘17 and have two successful operations since then. The nurses will be doing regular checks post op to detect if anything is going wrong post surgery. All the best for Monday.
Thankyou so much

Reactions: Rachox and kitedoc

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Merlin, there has been a valuable campaign recently in the UK to raise awareness of sepsis. As others have said, if your blood sugars are a bit all over the place or running higher than desired, then the risk increases, so keeping your bloods in good shape is very important.

Whilst sepsis does occur, it is, by comparison to procedures carried out and the population still pretty rare - hence the need to make people aware of it's existance.

If at any time, whilst you are in hospital, or when at home recovering you develop fever like symptoms or are otherwise concerned about your well-being or safety, then ask the ward staff, or if at home, call 111 to ask for advice.

Good luck on Monday.
Thankyou so much thats has eased my mind greatly

Reactions: Antje77 and kitedoc

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Because you are diabetic, you will be tested at the hospital and if your levels are too high they will postpone the operation. Hospital doctors are well aware of the risk diabetics face when having an operation.

As for symptoms of sepsis. When a patient is having chemotherapy there is a very serious risk of sepsis because the chemo kills off the neutrophils in the white blood cells, which means they have little or no resistance to infection. Because of this they are given plenty of information on what to look out for. The first symptom is raised temperature, and if that is apparent they are advised to contact the unit immediately so they can have immediate anti-biotic treatment. The best way of keeping an eye on temperature is to have a reliable and good thermometer at home and do regular checks.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
All the best for your surgery!
I was running high figures in previous years but recovered very quickly from two spinal surgeries, two carpal tunnel and one ulna nerve surgeries. I also had eyelid surgery, both upper and lower lids without any complications.
Now i had ingrown toenail surgery and developed an infection although my glucose levels are very good.

Reactions: kitedoc

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
I am currently in hospital with sepsis.........nasty.......nearly got me for keeps if you know what I mean and if you are in anyway susceptible to it be it by high sugars or prior history they will not perform ANY invasive surgery other than to keep you alive!!!! They even refused to put a picc line in to take my IV antibiotics rather than repeat canualaes andd that is of very low level invasiveness.
They are also demanding that all infection has cleared my body for a month before taking me off of the anti-bees and cleaning up the damage caused to my right foot, rotator cuff and top 2 vertebrae of spine which have all suffered erosion due to the body's own acidic reaction to fight off sepsis.

Truth of the matter is that you are miles more likely to develop sepsis at home than in hospital.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because you are diabetic, you will be tested at the hospital and if your levels are too high they will postpone the operation. Hospital doctors are well aware of the risk diabetics face when having an operation.

As for symptoms of sepsis. When a patient is having chemotherapy there is a very serious risk of sepsis because the chemo kills off the neutrophils in the white blood cells, which means they have little or no resistance to infection. Because of this they are given plenty of information on what to look out for. The first symptom is raised temperature, and if that is apparent they are advised to contact the unit immediately so they can have immediate anti-biotic treatment. The best way of keeping an eye on temperature is to have a reliable and good thermometer at home and do regular checks.
Thanks so much very informative

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou so much im glad i found this site

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

very good advice thankyou

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was running high figures in previous years but recovered very quickly from two spinal surgeries, two carpal tunnel and one ulna nerve surgeries. I also had eyelid surgery, both upper and lower lids without any complications.
Now i had ingrown toenail surgery and developed an infection although my glucose levels are very good.
wow thankyou you have been through a lot

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
omg you have been through it and thankyou

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently in hospital with sepsis.........nasty.......nearly got me for keeps if you know what I mean and if you are in anyway susceptible to it be it by high sugars or prior history they will not perform ANY invasive surgery other than to keep you alive!!!! They even refused to put a picc line in to take my IV antibiotics rather than repeat canualaes andd that is of very low level invasiveness.
They are also demanding that all infection has cleared my body for a month before taking me off of the anti-bees and cleaning up the damage caused to my right foot, rotator cuff and top 2 vertebrae of spine which have all suffered erosion due to the body's own acidic reaction to fight off sepsis.

Truth of the matter is that you are miles more likely to develop sepsis at home than in hospital.
wow you certinly sound like your giving it a beating, Thanks for your help

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @merlin 2, good luck with your operation, but try not to worry about what could happen and focus on getting better with a speedy and a healthy recovery :)

I know about sepsis and I recovered ( but I hadn't has an operation, but have been through two op's and no sepsis) also you will be monitored and looked after in hospital, so wishing you all the very best, take care.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @merlin 2, good luck with your operation, but try not to worry about what could happen and focus on getting better with a speedy and a healthy recovery :)

I know about sepsis and I recovered ( but I hadn't has an operation, but have been through two op's and no sepsis) also you will be monitored and looked after in hospital, so wishing you all the very best, take care.
Thankyou very much

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh that a lot