Having The Op On Private.

Sponger

Hi there.

Type 2 for a long time.

3 bouts of laser in both eyes.
Cataract op in both eyes.
6 injections in each eye.
Some scarring in right eye.

Right eye bled last week, biggest one yet. Can only see outline of things at the moment.

The eye hospital here in Dublin (who are fantastic) do the op if the blood is still there after 6 months.

My question is it worth it to have it done privately ?

Thanks in advance.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there.

Type 2 for a long time.

Right eye bled last week, biggest one yet. Can only see outline of things at the moment.

The eye hospital here in Dublin (who are fantastic) do the op if the blood is still there after 6 months.

Thanks in advance.

Sponger - I'm sorry you have such a difficult time with your eyes. Have you discussed the option of having the op privately with the person looking after your eyes for you? There may be reasons why they wait - perhaps some natural improvement as some or all of the blood breaks down and disappears.

I doubt anyone here would be able to tell you the answer to your question. We're not medics and I would also think that soi much depends on what has actually happened and where it is in your eye.

I do hope you find a way forward though.

Reactions: Sponger

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is only my view as a retired nhs nurse. Going private does not necessarily get you better treatment. It may get you more timely treatment though. Money does not always = expertise, be warned. Can you ask your current doc for his/her view? Recommendations for best opthalmic doc may be difficult to access. Or trust...

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sponger, given you like your health care team and have faith in them, that sounds like a pretty good plan. I hope it goes well.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi there.

Type 2 for a long time.

Thanks in advance.
Hi @Sponger bear in mind that top rate consultants in both the NHS and private hospitals will have trained in teaching hospitals to the same level. Certainly when I had retinal haemorrhaging in my eyes in the late70's early 80's, I had to wait for the blood to clear enough for the consultant surgeon to see what to aim at. I guess they have greatly improved equipment since then. Just for your encouragement, I can still see out of both eyes 35 years later and still drive legally! Very good luck.

Last edited:

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
I Thought all medical treatment in ROI is private, no NHS ?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there.

Type 2 for a long time.

Thanks in advance.
My sympathies to you as I've had 2 eye ops to save my sight following proliferative retinopathy at Moorfields in London done by a great surgeon (Eric Ezra in 2004). I assume that the surgeons working privately are the same people working in your health service and that your case would be seen as a priority and so perhaps the only advantage could be time/convenience rather than the skill of the surgeon.
I also know that a member at the club were I work, was seeking a private surgeon to repair his retina. He lives in London and could not find a private route. After 2 failed NHS attempts however they tried again and were successful so his story had a happy end though he was preparing to live life with 1 working eye only.

Sponger

Hi there

I thought I should give an update - it has been a long time.

Since my post above I started using the Noctura 400 mask. I have not had a major bleed in these 2.5 years.

I had a scan in the main hospital here in Dublin in September this year and they said that they were happy with the progress.

They also said that I was not to have the operation privately unless they said so.

My advice is to check out the mask - I think it helps a lot.

Reactions: lawrensh

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

I thought I should give an update - it has been a long time.

Since my post above I started using the Noctura 400 mask. I have not had a major bleed in these 2.5 years.

I had a scan in the main hospital here in Dublin in September this year and they said that they were happy with the progress.

They also said that I was not to have the operation privately unless they said so.

My advice is to check out the mask - I think it helps a lot.
May I ask where you purchased the mask and how much it costs?

Sponger

May I ask where you purchased the mask and how much it costs?

Certainly. I fly to Newcastle every 6 months and get a scan and new mask from an optician there. It costs £250 for 3 months. I get 6 months per time.

If you look on the website you will see a list of approved opticians . They also do a mobile service I believe. The company is called Polyphotonix.