How were you diagnosed

AndyW_Fife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Type II was discovered after going to the GP for something I thought was unrelated. I was getting painful cysts emerging, usually down one side, under the arms or in the groin area - anywhere that sweated really. I was getting treatment for that, which did work pretty well, but never made it go away. I was then referred to the hospital, where the doctor quickly diagnosed I was type II diabetic. She went on to explain the cysts were due to my blood carrying sugars it couldn't get rid of which, in turn, came out as infected sweat glands. She asked if I ever had any of the usual symptoms like thirst, frequent trips to the loo but no, I had never suffered any other symptoms. Even my previous health check didn't highlight any such issues which goes to show how quickly it can set in. Now I'm on a daily mix of Metformin and Statins but I am following my GP's advice and hitting the gym 2 or 3 times a week.

I am 3 years diagnosed. The last two fasting tests with the surgery have shown normal levels but the GP insists I am still type II.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a very interesting thread, thank you for starting! I went to the GP for something completely unrelated (can't think what) and at the end of the appointment asked her if she could do anything for a large spot (boil) that was on my back under my bra strap that I couldn't reach to do anything about; it was painful and causing me grief. She took 1 look and organised a glucose tolerance test which came back as T2. Who knows how many years I may have had it, or how many more years I may have gone on without knowing if it hadn't been for that spot!

Reactions: jjraak

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Maybe some research into Cost of HbA1c tests for all annually versus Cost of treatment to undiagnosed T2's per year is in order?

Reactions: jjraak and Flora123

ninaleonard78

my 40 plus test on thursday tellephone call friday hbA1c level reading 136...drs on monday started on met and glic, that was 4th march 19......had been going to dr on and off for thrush and bv treatment for 9months before this at slight weight loss...im still losing weight which they are concerned about as im now 9stone.....its been a fast learning curve i cant stop carbs completely but i am choosing better and smaller options.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
My Type II was discovered after going to the GP for something I thought was unrelated. I was getting painful cysts emerging, usually down one side, under the arms or in the groin area - anywhere that sweated really. I was getting treatment for that, which did work pretty well, but never made it go away. I was then referred to the hospital, where the doctor quickly diagnosed I was type II diabetic. She went on to explain the cysts were due to my blood carrying sugars it couldn't get rid of which, in turn, came out as infected sweat glands. She asked if I ever had any of the usual symptoms like thirst, frequent trips to the loo but no, I had never suffered any other symptoms. Even my previous health check didn't highlight any such issues which goes to show how quickly it can set in. Now I'm on a daily mix of Metformin and Statins but I am following my GP's advice and hitting the gym 2 or 3 times a week.

I am 3 years diagnosed. The last two fasting tests with the surgery have shown normal levels but the GP insists I am still type II.

Wow, I used to get those. Never occurred to me could be anything. Strangely since I’ve been diagnosed not had any!!

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just curious about any weird and wonderful diagnosis scenarios?

For my part I was diagnosed seconds before a big toe amputation due to rampant infection of open wound. The bright spark anaesthetic realised that 12 hrs Nbm for the operation afforded chance for fasting test.

T2 confirmed to me whilst being stretchered back to the ward.

Lost a toe but gained a metformin script!!!!!!

July 2018

I'm really sorry to hear that you've lost a toe.. Yet this story (if memory serves me right warned) Geoff Whitington of losing his foot. He got on a bike and won his health back ..https://www.fixingdad.com/ the video there has some serious advice..

I've embraced Geoff's advice and I've cycled over 13,000 miles in the last 2 1/2 years..I think I'm in remission now..

& Geoff has also started this virtual cycling club https://www.strava.com/clubs/FixingDad you can join too.

Best wishes

LBB

Last edited:

RhonaB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I discovered I'd lost weight after spending a day hiking up a pair of trousers ... usually just wear pull-ups! Monitored it for a good few weeks and continued to drop lbs slowly. Sadly (and the reason I didn't notice the loss) the weight seemed to fall off my legs while my body stayed in much the same flabby fat state as before!
Anyway, no other symptoms so was dreading the worst when I mentioned it to the nurse after my cervical smear test in January. She ordered the whole gamut of blood tests including tumour markers. Happily all was well apart from BG 29.6, Hb1AC 145!
After some panic and yet more blood tests the consultant has decided it's Type 2 although my insulin production is a bit below "normal" apparently.

Still need to lose another stone or so, but actually quite hopeful now!!! :)

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a boil that wouldn't heal after weeks. Popped to the GP who looked and said " I bet you are diabetic", then did bloods and asked family medical history, then said "based on the fact both parents had diabetes, it's highly likely you would get it". I then got referred to the DN who assured me that pasta, rice and porridge were the way forwards and offered me insulin. I declined.

Luckily I now have a great GP/DN combo. Alas the insulin subject has arisen again due to my recent blood test...... numbers are poor :(

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought I had diabetes. So I asked them to confirm it. They did. I was sad.

Frequent urination, thrush, thirst, all the classics. I said to my now husband one night 'I'm pretty sure i'm diabetic. I'll go to the doctor'. One of the hardest things I've ever said. Way harder than talking to the GP about it.

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Felt something was "off" - had been extremely fatigued for weeks - especially around 3pm and found it almost impossible to work in the later afternoon. Also started drinking around 6 litres a day and having to go pee every 5 mins. Did some research on symptoms and suspected diabetes. Followed up by getting a blood test kit and keytone strips and discovered 27mmol/l in blood and keytones of 8 in urine. Took myself off to A&E after 111 suggested and was seen in about 15 mins and monitored for suspected Diabetic KA. After around 4 hours they decided I was in the clear and sent me home. They didnt make a diagnosis and it wasnt till I had got a doctors appointment a couple weeks later (I was changing doctors) that I discovered that they had found an A1c of 122 at hospital. Another reading of 108 at the doctors and then straight onto glimipiride.

I was extremely fatigued and exhausted. The two diagnoses in the same week of Type 2 diabetes and severe chronic obstructive sleep apnea. Sorry to hear about your experience and losing your toe.

SGR1806-20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Looking back, I should have figured something was up. For months I was thirsty and irritable (more so than usual). I finally went to my GP surgery because I thought I had a bladder infection. Turned out no, it was a fasting BG of 14.1 and a Hb1AC of 120+.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
I thought I had diabetes. So I asked them to confirm it. They did. I was sad.

Frequent urination, thrush, thirst, all the classics. I said to my now husband one night 'I'm pretty sure i'm diabetic. I'll go to the doctor'. One of the hardest things I've ever said. Way harder than talking to the GP about it.
Rough Justice!!

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a boil that wouldn't heal after weeks. Popped to the GP who looked and said " I bet you are diabetic", then did bloods and asked family medical history, then said "based on the fact both parents had diabetes, it's highly likely you would get it". I then got referred to the DN who assured me that pasta, rice and porridge were the way forwards and offered me insulin. I declined.

Luckily I now have a great GP/DN combo. Alas the insulin subject has arisen again due to my recent blood test...... numbers are poor :(

Have a listen and watch of the "www.fixingdad.com" crew. & If you're UK based you can probably get to watch the whole movie easily. Geoff Whitington lost 120 lbs and lost his Type 2 diabetes 10 years after having been diagnosed.. He literally got on his bike and pedaled it..

Best of luck..

LBB

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner

Having a good GP and Diabetic Team is a real bonus

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought I had a UTI I was peeing all the time, went to see my GP, GP did bloods and turned out my HbA1c was 67. I mean my GP probably knew it was type 2 diabetes as I was morbidly obese, I was also really thirsty all the time for about a week leading up to getting initial bloods done.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
I thought I had a UTI I was peeing all the time, went to see my GP, GP did bloods and turned out my HbA1c was 67. I mean my GP probably knew it was type 2 diabetes as I was morbidly obese, I was also really thirsty all the time for about a week leading up to getting initial bloods done.
Sounds like you too had an inkling that you had it?

Reactions: Quinn1066

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a listen and watch of the "www.fixingdad.com" crew. & If you're UK based you can probably get to watch the whole movie easily. Geoff Whitington lost 120 lbs and lost his Type 2 diabetes 10 years after having been diagnosed.. He literally got on his bike and pedaled it..

Best of luck..

LBB

Thanks LBB, I have seen that and it's a great watch.