Trying to make sense of what the BG Meter is telling me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alineden

thought you might be interested in having a look at this study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2811436/
It shows how muscle and liver (hepatic) IR are key to the development of T2, and how IR is the forerunner, not the consequence (in the studied populations), and shows how IR is typically measured in the muscles, because the majority of glucose is sent to the muscles, so IR in the muscles is fundamental to the progression of both IR and T2.

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
@Alineden

thought you might be interested in having a look at this study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2811436/
It shows how muscle and liver (hepatic) IR are key to the development of T2, and how IR is the forerunner, not the consequence (in the studied populations), and shows how IR is typically measured in the muscles, because the majority of glucose is sent to the muscles, so IR in the muscles is fundamental to the progression of both IR and T2.
Interesting but I will have to read it away from work and probably several times. I have to keep stopping reading to look words up that I'm not familiar with.

Reactions: Brunneria

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
This is why sometimes our muscles are starved of glucose, while our fat cells continue to tuck that energy away as stored fat - when muscles have higher IR than fat cells.

Did you just explain to me something which I've been wondering about for some time ...? That some days I feel as light as a gazelle (well, perhaps exaggerating slightly), and other days I can hardly drag my carcass along the pavement?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you just explain to me something which I've been wondering about for some time ...? That some days I feel as light as a gazelle (well, perhaps exaggerating slightly), and other days I can hardly drag my carcass along the pavement?

Yeah, I get the same.
For me, the days/times of higher IR are infinitely more laborious.

Shirley N.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to walk in the Dales any more. Not being able to eat some of my favourite foods any more.
Hi everyone

I'm still struggling a bit to understand what sometimes causes raised BG and today has been typical.

I've actually given up testing first thing in the morning as it always seems to be high with liver dump and it's quite frustrating but I still test after meals (2 hours usually). Today due to work I only got chance to test for the first time 40 minutes after lunch. I then went for a 20 walk, tested again, then after the usual 2 hours.

The first test was a bit of a 1 off. I don't usually test that soon after eating. The reading was 9.6 mmol/l which I thought was high for what I had eaten. After a walk I tested again and as expected it had dropped, 6.7 mmol/l. But when I tested at the usual 2 hours it had gone up to 8 mmol/l. What's that all about?

I had scrambled eggs and 3 rashes of bacon for breakfast and lunch was a thai curry that I reckon had 5g of carbs in the curry paste plus whatever was in the chicken thighs, onion, coconut cream and coconut oil.

The only thing I'd had after lunch was a black coffee and a glass of water.

Doesn't that seem high for what I've eaten?
It could be the spices in the curry. They are approximately 60% carbohydrate by dry weight. When I make curry for myself I use about 20 grams of spices which is about 12 grams of carbohydrate. Also watch the onion, 10% carbohydrate.
I try to keep my blood glucose below 8 mmol/l after meals which means restricting my carbohydrate intake to between 20-25 g per meal. I too always have high readings first thing, but unless you measure before meals you cannot judge how much carbohydrate you can safely eat at that time.
The high level after your walk is explained by the time taken to digest and absorb some of the food. Your walk only burnt off the quickly digested and absorbed part of it.