Help with levels please!

Funky Mum

So I'm taking my bloods an hour after eating and 2 hours. What am I aiming for in terms of a good level? Is it about 5?
What would constitute a high reading? Does the hourly reading mean much?
Thanks!

ClaireG 06

These are the NICE guidelines
The latest 2011 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking and before meals).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l...(Type 1 & 2)
2 hrs after meals........................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.....( Type 2)

2hrs after meals......................... no more than 9 mmol/l ......(Type 1)

ClaireG 06

These are the NICE guidelines
The latest 2011 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking and before meals).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l...(Type 1 & 2)
2 hrs after meals........................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.....( Type 2)

2hrs after meals......................... no more than 9 mmol/l ......(Type 1)

C

catherinecherub

Hi FM,

Your levels 2hrs. after a meal should be close to the reading before a meal. Example= Before 5.8, after 2hrs 5.8 - 6.3. You will then know that the meal you have eaten only has a limited effect on your blood sugar. Even if your levels are not perfect before you will know that the reading after is a step in the right direction.
It is complicated in as much as there may have been something that you ate will spike after 3 - 4hrs.
It is essential to keep a food diary.
There are NICE guidlines in the advice for newbies. If you can get them lower than the guidelines suggest for after a meal it is better but that will take time and more testing.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Hope this helps.

CC.

Pneu

FM it really depends on your personal circumstance and what is good for one person isn't necessarily good for another. I would suggest as a minimum you are within the NICE guidelines which would be less than 8.5 mmol/l for a type 2 diabetic.

As an individual I strive for as close to 'normal' blood glucose as I can achieve, balanced against the risk of hypo's... as such I would look to be less than 6.0 mmol/l two hours post most meals (some meal types that spike at different times this might not be achievable). Research shows that in normal circumstances a non-diabetic would be at less than 7.8 mmol/l two hours post meal with the average two hour post meal being around 5.5 - 6.0 mmol/l

C

catherinecherub

Funky Mum said:
So I need to do before meals too? Ouch!
Thanks for the info you two :)

Hi FM,

If you don't test before the meal then you have nothing to compare it against.

I am not suggesting that everyone should aim for the same levels as NIce guidelines now state that an HBA1c for Type 2's should be 7.5 or below. Anecdotal evidence here and research suggests that this level can be detrimental. Your Health Care teams should have set target goals for you. If they haven't then they are not following NICE guidelines as your care should be individualised and agreed between you and your HC team.

Funky Mum

Catherine they haven't said I should test I'm doing this off my own back as it seems the best way to learn what's what. Should I go back and ask?
Do I not take an hourly blood then and just wait for the 2 hours? My hourly blood after some porridge is 10.5.
I haven't done a fasting one because some nights I get a disturbed sleep and have to get up so that wouldn't be a true reading would it?

ClaireG 06

I would do a 2hrs after eating test rather than a hr one :) I often have to get up to pee in the night or these last few weeks throw up. I still count the blood test i do first thing though as a fasting one. No one has said i'm wrong...yet!

Funky Mum

Thanks Claire!
My 2 hour one was 9.1 so a little high. Would that be something to avoid? I'm stuck for ideas for breakfast :?

ClaireG 06

Have you tried Burgen soya and linseed bread ? I find it doesn't spike my levels nearly as much as normal bread and is nice toasted. Have you lloked on the food bit of the forum? You might find ideas there :)

C

catherinecherub

Hi FM,

A suggestion about the porridge. Halve the amount, add sunflower and pumpkin seeds, a sprinkle of cinnamon and some fresh fruit that does not spike your blood sugars. Most people find berries are OK. Test before the meal and 2 hrs afterwards. If your levels have spiked considerably then I suggest you leave it for a few days and try again as you may have done more or less exercise or had more or less stress the day before.

Even if your levels were high before breakfast and they only go up about 2 points then this may be alright and you should see your levels a bit lower before your next meal.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I think the word 'breakfast' can be a problem in itself - we are conditioned to think that breakfast means cereal or toast or full English.

If you call it 'morning meal', then you can have absolutely anything that you would eat at any other time of the day. A vegetarian option for me would be a cheese salad. Or fish, if you can eat it. Or sliced-up salad veg with a dip of some sort. Anything you can safely eat without spiking you can have for breakfast too.

Viv 8)

Funky Mum

catherinecherub said:
Hi FM,

A suggestion about the porridge. Halve the amount, add sunflower and pumpkin seeds, a sprinkle of cinnamon and some fresh fruit that does not spike your blood sugars. Most people find berries are OK. Test before the meal and 2 hrs afterwards. If your levels have spiked considerably then I suggest you leave it for a few days and try again as you may have done more or less exercise or had more or less stress the day before.

Even if your levels were high before breakfast and they only go up about 2 points then this may be alright and you should see your levels a bit lower before your next meal.

I've been bad at doing them lately but here are my readings today.

8.1 fasting/pre breakfast

2 slices of Burgen soya/linseed toast. One with peanut butter, the other with flora and marmite.

10.3 2 hours after.

This isn't a huge rise is it? So would be ok to have?