Prescription costs

Bobbyp

Hi, my name is Bob and a newby to this forum. I am trying to figure out what it costs in Europe/UK/rest of the world for a 90 day supply of Pioglitazone. Thankfully i am employed right now but we recently merged with another corporation. I am the wrong side of 55. Typically there is a two year 'getting to know you policy' before changes are made.With my health insurance coverage changing i started to shop around the cost of my medicines. Through insurance a 90 day of Pioglitazone costs me $16 for a 90 day supply. However if i dont have insurance that figure jumps to $970.15 for a 90 day supply (an actual quote from a retail supermarket with a pharmacy) Is this normal? do you guys have the same kind of fluctuations? PS i am a Brit that emigrated 20 some years ago. I never thought the National Health System would be one of the best health care systems in the world but for any bad press it gets (and believe me it does over here at election time) it cant be challenged for price and quality.
Yeah i know i made my bed so i must lay in it by moving here but guys the love of my life was here..... Thanks Bob

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi, my name is Bob and a newby to this forum. I am trying to figure out what it costs in Europe/UK/rest of the world for a 90 day supply of Pioglitazone. Thankfully i am employed right now but we recently merged with another corporation. I am the wrong side of 55. Typically there is a two year 'getting to know you policy' before changes are made.With my health insurance coverage changing i started to shop around the cost of my medicines. Through insurance a 90 day of Pioglitazone costs me $16 for a 90 day supply. However if i dont have insurance that figure jumps to $970.15 for a 90 day supply (an actual quote from a retail supermarket with a pharmacy) Is this normal? do you guys have the same kind of fluctuations? PS i am a Brit that emigrated 20 some years ago. I never thought the National Health System would be one of the best health care systems in the world but for any bad press it gets (and believe me it does over here at election time) it cant be challenged for price and quality.
Yeah i know i made my bed so i must lay in it by moving here but guys the love of my life was here..... Thanks Bob

In the UK it would be free. As a diabetic, you're eligible for free prescriptions...

Where are you located now?

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am assuming that you are T2 as you don't mention which type you are in your profile. I really do hope that you can get a lower price on your meds - $970.15 for a 90 day supply is a nightmare. if not - have you thought about changing your diet and going low carb? You should be able to significantly lower your dosage of the meds so your costs would be much much lower.

Reactions: Prem51

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought I had better add that if you go down the route of reducing carbs you will need to reduce them slowly and keep testing with your meter so that you avoid hypos as the meds you are on.are quite powerful.

Breck Lundin

maybe download a copy of an app called GoodRx. it's designed to give people coupons for discounts on Rx's you have to pay for meds you pay out of pocket.

hmmmm, it might not work for non-US locations. It gives a good idea either way. very easy to use as well. i have one Rx i pay out of pocket which costs anywhere ftom a couple hundred bucks to over $1000.

I get at Walmart for $72...3-month supply. hope this might help you a bit.

Reactions: Prem51

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetics get free prescription medication in the UK.
It saves me a fortune.
Quite why it's free is not really obvious. If you have a dodgy thyroid it's free too but have a heart attack or, pretty much anything else and you have to pay for each item dispensed.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But if you pay for each item dispensed it is reduced market price, a set price per item. I think this is currently £9 per item and of course if you need more than 3 meds regularly you can buy a pre paid card annually and save even more money. One of my meds is £60 market price! Now I am 60 I get it all free. I for one am very thankful.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually, only diabetics on medication for diabetes (e.g metformin, gliclazide or insulin) get 'free' prescriptions in England.
Diet controlled diabetics have to pay for their prescriptions unless they are exempt for another reason, such as another exempt health condition, or age.

As I understand it, in Wales, all prescriptions are free.
Not sure about Scotland or Ireland...

Sorry to sound pedantic ( ;) ) but there are quite a few diet controlled ppl out there who end up having to pay for all their prescriptions. It is just that whenever someone says 'UK prescriptions are free for Ds' we get people saying 'not for me!' 'or me!' 'or me!'

Although of course NHS prescriptions in England are only charged at the standard flat rate https://psnc.org.uk/our-news/prescription-charge-to-rise-to-9-00/ which is FAR less than other countries.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually, only diabetics on medication for diabetes (e.g metformin, gliclazide or insulin) get 'free' prescriptions in England.
Diet controlled diabetics have to pay for their prescriptions unless they are exempt for another reason, such as another exempt health condition, or age.

Sorry to sound pedantic ( ;) ) but there are quite a few diet controlled ppl out there who end up having to pay for all their prescriptions. It is just that whenever someone says 'UK prescriptions are free for Ds' we get people saying 'not for me!' 'or me!' 'or me!'

Although of course NHS prescriptions in England are only charged at the standard flat rate https://psnc.org.uk/our-news/prescription-charge-to-rise-to-9-00/ which is FAR less than other countries.
Sorry.
You are obviously quite right.
I actively want to be prescribed metformin in order to benefit from the prescription fee exemption.

Dark Horse

Always remember that generics are generally cheaper than brand names such as Actos.

Here are the prices the NHS pays to the pharmacy that supplies pioglitazone :- https://bnf.nice.org.uk/medicinal-forms/pioglitazone.html

Are you not able to use this drug discount card? https://www.drugs.com/discount-card/
The drug prices are here:- https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/pioglitazone

This site may be helpful (unsure as can't be viewed outside USA):- https://www.goodrx.com/pioglitazone

This site seems to be offering pioglitaone cheaper than the price you quoted:- https://www.healthwarehouse.com/pioglitazone-30mg-tablets.html

When people start criticising the NHS, you might like to draw their attention to the the research by the Commonwealth Fund which ranked 11 countries according to the performance of their healthcare systems. UK was ranked 1st, USA was ranked last:- https://www.commonwealthfund.org/chart/2017/health-care-system-performance-rankings

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Bobbyp. Pioglitazone (Actos) has been banned in France and Germany since 2011 because it increases risk of bladder cancer, heart failure and eye problems.
It can be bought online, and the price depends on strength.
In UK 90 days of Actoplus Met 500g costs £77.90 from 247worldstorexn.com

Canadian online pharmacy sells different strengths, 90 days 30mg Actos costs Canada $45:
https:www.canadadrugsonline.com/DrugMoreInfo29.aspx

But you can buy it online in US, 90 days 30mg costs $22.73:
https://www.blinkhealth.com/pioglitazone

The $970.15 for 90 days seems high.
And yes, despite current funding difficulties the NHS is still a great healthcare provider.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Scotland is currently free too.

Reactions: Brunneria