New to Omnipod

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've seen photos of Olympic Skier Kris Freeman wearing his Omnipod on his chest and wondered if anyone knew if there was a particular reason for using this position? Has anyone else used this or other places not covered by Omnipods recommendations?

Reactions: himtoo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Harrysdad I think a professional athlete has alot more to think about in terms of keeping the pod safe from being dislodged, so it's probably more to do with this and not knocking the pod off if he does take a tumble. I'm tagging in another Omnipod user @himtoo for his thoughts on different sites.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Harrysdad I think a professional athlete has alot more to think about in terms of keeping the pod safe from being dislodged, so it's probably more to do with this and not knocking the pod off if he does take a tumble.
May also be related to aero-dynamics :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good thinking @Rokaab ;) Every millisecond counts !!

Reactions: kitedoc

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Fair comment, it seems a sensible place to me but not recommended apparently.

I'm not sure I need to save milliseconds though :)

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Harrysdad I think I would find this quite irritating having it on my chest also potentially quite uncomfortable. I have seen them sited on the back of the arm or the lower back, where are you siting them ?

Reactions: kitedoc

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've only just fitted my first one (using saline for 2 pods). I go live in a couple of weeks. I've placed it on my stomach and last night I went on a rowing machine and felt like it might not stay on very long (it did stay but some of the tape around the side had lifted). I guess it's very much a case of experimenting and finding what suits me best.

Reactions: kitedoc and Juicyj

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
after seeing a lot of people ( on instagram ) siting pods on chest -- i have been doing this for a few months now and absorption is excellent for me -- i dont notice it there at all ----- think like dexcom say stomach sites for their sensors , libre say upper arms only for sensors , omnipod say stomach and upper arms for pods.........it could be that is only where they have sited and got proven results-------i have sited pods on upper arm , lower arm , stomach , just under ribcage , lower back thighs , but not calf so far ---- all have been ok

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve worn them on my calves... feels a bit weird as they wobble when you walk!

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Cheers for the help, I suppose it's all down to trial and error for the individual. Libre on chest is an interesting idea though.

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm using a minimed 640g pump and have had my cunnula in my boob at one point to try it, worked pretty good but left a cracking bruise. This in turn put me off using that area again, I now stick to my arms.

D

Deleted Account

I have been looking at a patch pump (not OmniPod) and was told I could put it anywhere that I have enough subcutaneous fat (is there any other type?) and that did not move too much or "crease".
As I am pretty active, the arms were considered out of action because they are used too much for climbing and the legs were unsuitable because they are used too much for running and cycling.
So, as a skier, I could imagine his fat levels are not too high and there are few places on his body that do not move much.