Food

D

Deleted Account

I would direct you to a supermarket or restaurant.

I am sure that response sounds rather flippant but the point I am trying to make is that type 1 does not have to impact your diet if you are able to calculate your insulin dose and timing.
Some people with type 1 chose to eat a low carb diet as this will require smaller amounts of insulin so a mistake is likely to have a smaller impact.
However, many people with type 1 diabetes find there is no need to change their diet and continue to manage good management of their BG.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Everything. Just make sure you carb count and have your insulin to carb ratio worked out.

M

Member496333

Just a word of caution though in addition to the above. Having autoimmune diabetes doesn’t preclude you from potentially developing resistance later in life. If one lives a life of eating doughnuts washed down with sugary drinks, they are just as likely to develop insulin resistance as anyone else, irrespective of whether their insulin comes from a needle or their pancreas.

Obviously that’s an extreme example and I’m not for a moment offering any dietary advice, but rather just putting it out there that it’s perhaps not the best idea to assume you can eat whatever you like and cover it with insulin. Certainly not over the course of decades. At its core this is no different to the mechanism that brings about T2DM in normal people.

parkinsonryan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would direct you to a supermarket or restaurant.

I am sure that response sounds rather flippant but the point I am trying to make is that type 1 does not have to impact your diet if you are able to calculate your insulin dose and timing.
Some people with type 1 chose to eat a low carb diet as this will require smaller amounts of insulin so a mistake is likely to have a smaller impact.
However, many people with type 1 diabetes find there is no need to change their diet and continue to manage good management of their BG.
Really struggling with carb counting just don't have a clue how many carbs is in what foods but a suppose that's for me to learn ?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really struggling with carb counting just don't have a clue how many carbs is in what foods but a suppose that's for me to learn ?
Ask your diabetic team about attending a DAFNE or similar educational course. These course can be extremely beneficial to understanding carb counting. There is an online course called BERTIE which is also very useful.
Carbs and Cals is an excellent book/ app to have at hand. Clear, concise an£ unbelievably easy to use.
You can eat anything you like, but like life in general your overall health will reflect your diet irrespective of being diabetic or not.