For those who are in remission/reversed their diabetes- how long have you been in remission for

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for clarifying. I thought you meant pre and post diagnosis. :arghh:
Unfortunately my pre diagnosis was a diet sheet to lower cholesterol - high carb, low fat - low salt too.
On the way home I called in at the butchers, ordered a whole hogget (a big lamb) and bought red meat - then I used all the diet info to light a barbecue next day....

this isnt fun

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
My last HbA1c was 43....it was also 43 six months ago. I was told by the diabetic nurse that my level was now classed as "normal". I know I still have a little way to go but 2 years ago my HbA1c was 109 so I'm pretty chuffed. When I found out I was diabetic I went on the 800 cal blood sugar diet, then a low carb diet. I didn't feel well on either diets so now follow a plant based diet and have never felt better. I do eat carbs now including potato, brown rice, oats and rye bread. I also eat plenty of fruit. Now and again I will treat myself to a slice of cake too! Everything in moderation but I try to eat as healthily as possible, exercise and have smaller portion sizes.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
In my head I regard myself as a well-controlled diabetic. I started with an HbA1c of 104 and after 6 months of LCHF I had lost 3 stone and had an HbA1c of 36 mmol. My weight has stabilised at 7lbs heavier and my HbA1c has stayed in the 30s for the last 5 years. I have continued to eat LCFH mostly but will occasionally have 100g carb in a day. I also exercise regularly, mostly walking. I still take a precautionary 500mg dose of Metformin per day. I hope this helps answer your question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shas3

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how long have you been in remission for? Has it been harder than you thought to maintain normal blood glucose levels?

Has your diet slightly changed since going into remission (are you more strict with your diet or can be a tiny bit flexible)

Hi @Mollyc1995,

The low carb diet has worked for many of us. I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 100 on May 31, 2015. I was immediately put on metformin and started a low carb diet. The next HbA1c in September of 2015 was 34. Since then I have come off metformin and have maintained an HbA1c in the lower 30s for about the last three years.

I am still eating low carb at around 20g to 25g of carbs per day. What has changed is that by getting creative and substituting higher carb with lower carb ingredients, I am now able to prepare lots of foods that I thought I would never have again.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Unfortunately my pre diagnosis was a diet sheet to lower cholesterol - high carb, low fat - low salt too.
On the way home I called in at the butchers, ordered a whole hogget (a big lamb) and bought red meat - then I used all the diet info to light a barbecue next day....

My invite never arrived? :angelic:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In terms of my own results, I was diagnosed with an A1c of 73 in October 2013, and in February 2014 I had reduced that to 37. Subsequent tests have all been lower still, including a couple in the 20s.

According to the descriptors in #16, I fot this category:
  • Operational cure. When the conditions are fulfilled for five years or more
I don't spend time dwelling on whatever title anyone chooses to apply to that, but just want to keep my numbers in a decent zone for as long as I ca, whilst living a good and active life.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @Mollyc1995
I need to change my picture from "..in remission", to one that says " I'm-not-doing-as-well-as-perhaps-I-would-like-to".
From diagnosis in Feb 2016, to stopping the Metformin six months later, I've been happy with my lowish carb approach. Then following an Italian trip (pizza,pasta) and Christmas (temptations) and a course of steroids, I've returned an A1c of 47.
This has prompted my GP to mutter dark stuff about "this is the point where e would usually consider reintroducing Metformin...". And he doubled my Atorvastatin, which won't help sugar levels either!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mollyc1995
I need to change my picture from "..in remission", to one that says " I'm-not-doing-as-well-as-perhaps-I-would-like-to".
From diagnosis in Feb 2016, to stopping the Metformin six months later, I've been happy with my lowish carb approach. Then following an Italian trip (pizza,pasta) and Christmas (temptations) and a course of steroids, I've returned an A1c of 47.
This has prompted my GP to mutter dark stuff about "this is the point where e would usually consider reintroducing Metformin...". And he doubled my Atorvastatin, which won't help sugar levels either!

Your statins were doubled with a total of 5.3? (according to your signature) I am astounded.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mollyc1995,

The low carb diet has worked for many of us. I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 100 on May 31, 2015. I was immediately put on metformin and started a low carb diet. The next HbA1c in September of 2015 was 34. Since then I have come off metformin and have maintained an HbA1c in the lower 30s for about the last three years.

I am still eating low carb at around 20g to 25g of carbs per day. What has changed is that by getting creative and substituting higher carb with lower carb ingredients, I am now able to prepare lots of foods that I thought I would never have again.
Congratulations on your hbaca1 @ziggy_w really pleased for you knew you were getting bloods done but hadn’t seen your results. My last one was 29 too so we are in that club together! Know that your last hbaca1 didn’t match your daily bgs so brilliant news that you’ve got a better match to your daily numbers. Well done too on the length of time you have maintained. I’ve only done so for 18 months - when I got my first 33 in November 2017 and came off my Metformin- the longer the better and like you I see it as an interesting challenge to be able to do very low carb by switching ingredients around and still managing a very varied diet. Superb news @ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on your hbaca1 @ziggy_w really pleased for you knew you were getting bloods done but hadn’t seen your results. My last one was 29 too so we are in that club together! Know that your last hbaca1 didn’t match your daily bgs so brilliant news that you’ve got a better match to your daily numbers. Well done too on the length of time you have maintained. I’ve only done so for 18 months - when I got my first 33 in November 2017 and came off my Metformin- the longer the better and like you I see it as an interesting challenge to be able to do very low carb by switching ingredients around and still managing a very varied diet. Superb news @ziggy_w

Thanks, @shelley262. So happy we're in the same club. You've done an outstanding job with your blood sugars, definitely inspirational.

I was a bit surprised too that my last HbA1c was close to what I was expecting, only 2 mmol higher, which I think is quite acceptable. Don't know really what has changed, maybe the supplements (D3, K2 and magnesium) that I have started about 4 months ago have helped. Hope to be back on "What have you eaten today" thread soon. Been missing you all.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @shelley262. So happy we're in the same club. You've done an outstanding job with your blood sugars, definitely inspirational.

I was a bit surprised too that my last HbA1c was close to what I was expecting, only 2 mmol higher, which I think is quite acceptable. Don't know really what has changed, maybe the supplements (D3, K2 and magnesium) that I have started about 4 months ago have helped. Hope to be back on "What have you eaten today" thread soon. Been missing you all.
How funny Ziggy I take magnesium bisglycinate daily along with potassium for leg cramps - which they work for - also take k2 although recently stopped D as I have high cholesterol and was hoping my body would turn my ldl into vitamin d when exposed to sun - not that we’ve seen much sun in previous couple of days in uk! Mx

Reactions: ziggy_w

Catkysydney

This is one definition of remission from these people
https://www.diabetesremission.org/about
https://www.diabetesremission.org/our-task

Definition of Diabetes Remission
Following international standards [1,2] a person goes into diabetes remission when the following conditions are fulfilled:

1. Had a diagnosis of diabetes
  2. Fasting Serum Glucose (FSG) is less than 100 mg/ml (5.6mmol/l)
  3. HbA1c is less than 6.0% (42mmol/dL)
  4. There is no active hypoglycemic therapy (either pharmacological or surgical)

We define three levels of remission:
  • Initial. When the conditions are fulfilled for three months
  • Complete. When the conditions are fulfilled for one year
  • Operational cure. When the conditions are fulfilled for five years or mor
References:
1. Buse JB, Caprio S, Cefalu WT, Ceriello A, Del Prato S, Inzucchi SE, et al. How do we define cure of diabetes? Diabetes Care. 2009 Nov;32(11):2133–5.
2. World Health Organization (WHO). Global Report on Diabetes 2016 [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2016. Available from: http://www.who.int/diabetes/global-report/en/

Hi Bluetit1802,

Thank you very much for this information !!

I had a diagnosis of diabetes, but FSG was 5.1 mmol/l and HbA1c was 5.9 % at that time... ( this is 2 and 3 in your writing ).

But I had a hypoglycemia.

I am confused...

Thank you very much again.

Best Wishes,

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit1802,

Thank you very much for this information !!

I had a diagnosis of diabetes, but FSG was 5.1 mmol/l and HbA1c was 5.9 % at that time... ( this is 2 and 3 in your writing ).

But I had a hypoglycemia.

I am confused...

Thank you very much again.

Best Wishes,

Hypoglycaemia is a condition on its own. It is not T2 diabetes. Of course, you can have both, but it is not compulsory to have both. Have you looked into this with your doctor? I think you will find that @Lamont D is not diabetic. He has reactive hypoglycaemia. He will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: Catkysydney

Catkysydney

Hypoglycaemia is a condition on its own. It is not T2 diabetes. Of course, you can have both, but it is not compulsory to have both. Have you looked into this with your doctor? I think you will find that @Lamont D is not diabetic. He has reactive hypoglycaemia. He will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Bluetit1802,

Thank you very much for your reply !!

I think I am very similar to @Lamont D !! He is a great help for me ! Lots of his stories are eye opener for me !

I may not have diabetes, but I have Reactive Hypoglycemia... I sincerely appreciate his input in this Forum , I am still learning...

Thank you again !!

Best Wishes

Reactions: Lamont D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My reversal from an initial “49” was initially rapid by cutting out sugary products and then very slow going, plateauing out, as I didn’t discover LCHF till January this year. I have to say that LCHF has not been easy to implement by any means and cannot see any point in pretending it was or is. It does get easy with time, however.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit1802,

Thank you very much for your reply !!

I think I am very similar to @Lamont D !! He is a great help for me ! Lots of his stories are eye opener for me !

I may not have diabetes, but I have Reactive Hypoglycemia... I sincerely appreciate his input in this Forum , I am still learning...

Thank you again !!

Best Wishes

It would be useful (to avoid any inappropriate replies) if you could complete your profile settings to show you have reactive hypoglycaemia and the medications you take (if any). You can do this from the website by using your browser. Click on your user name on the far right of the top bar and scroll down a bit. You will see the options to pick your type of diabetes and treatment etc. Your diabetes status will then appear under your avatar.

petedcurtis

Hi,
I was diagnosed Type 2 in early 1999. At that time in 1999, I was 5ft 7", 80 kg, 51 years old. In late 1998 I underwent a Sigmoid Colon resection due to significant reoccurring infection issue in late 1998 caused by my Diverticulitis. Suffer from Psoriasis since early 20's, turned chronic in my 40's.
Treated by same Endocrinologist since 1999, with 3 monthly visits and Blood draws, and followed the standard Type 2 therapy, Metformin, some other orals first, then injecting 70/30 insulin 12 yrs ago, then Humalog via pump 7 years ago, added Trulicity injections in 2018.
Type 2 Progression was slow but steady, significant neuropathy in feet, starting around 2005, After starting insulin therapy gained 47 Kg. Right Big toe Amputation in 2017 due to infection. My weight was 127 Kg in Oct 2018.,
I had mobility issues, even driving a car was becoming difficult because of my feet, I could not tie shoelaces or put on socks. Exercise was not easy. although sometimes I would manage to cycle a few miles.
I started a LCHF IF Ketogenic diet on 5th Nov 2018. 70 years old, Weight 127 Kg, Peak 2018 A1c was 8.0% . After 3 months my A1c was 6.0%. Stable at 6.0% for last 9 months.
Did a C Peptide test in Jan 2019 and it came back at 1.53.
From a sometimes peak dosage of 200+ units insulin per day, it dropped to 25 units per day in August 2019.
Kidneys: My eGFR went from previous lows in the mid 50's before Nov 2018 to 70 - 80 in 2019.
My Lipid panel readings in May 2018 to Aug 2018: went from 4.78 mmoL to 0.76 mmoL. HDL from 1.19 mmoL to 1.91 mmoL,and Triglycerides from 2.48 to 0.63 mmoL
TRIG/HDL ratio went from 4.78 to 0.76
Allopurinol 300 mg, HCTZ and Atenolol 50 mg stopped. Lisinopril 40 mg reduced to 10 mg. Stopped Atorvastatin 20 mg, then Crestor 5 mg because of side effects of fuzzy memory and leg stiffness.
My Average BP now in mid 2019 is 112/72.
On Sept 8th 2019 I finally stopped insulin delivery via pump, and only if my BG heads above 150 will I do a 3 -5 unit of Humalog bolus via syringe.
I now cycle 4 miles twice a day, can walk several miles with no issues. To reach my goal weight of 65 Kg I need to lose another 15 Kg which I expect achieve in another 6 months and also off all meds.
I use a Abbott Freestyle Libre BG sensor.
And measure my BP daily with a Omron 10.
PS: I'm pretty sure my Endo of 20 yrs is not on board with me doing LCHF IF Keto as he has offered no encouragement, and he seems to be unhappy when I visit him. So this reversal process is of my own making, by taking my own health into my own hands, getting to understand in depth my Type 2 diabetes root causes, Insulin Resistance, Hyperinsulinemia, Metabolic Syndrome, CVD and Statins and Blood Lipids.
And by carefully monitoring very closely my BG, A1c, BP and Lipids stage by stage via Blood draws.
Pierre Curtis.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What an incredible achievement, @petedcurtis. Lots of hard work, but shows what might be achieved even after years of progressive T2D. I am convinced that your success will inspire a lot of people with long-term T2 diabetes.