Ive Had My Operation

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI Folks well i had my operation was told to have my last food and drink at 6am which i did, I had to monitor my own bg levels i kept repeating that i am diabetic so finally at 2pm they decided to start monitoring but to be honest they were very complacent about the whole issue. Anyway at 6.45pm after not eating or drinking for over 12 hours my blood sugar now being 3.9 they decided to do my surgery, Nurse mentioned that perhaps they should have given me a glucose drink as i was now also dehydrated but that never happened. To cut a long story story I finally came round at 8.45 freezing cold with loads of blankets around me and feeling totally ****. Taken back onto the ward at 9pm and finally given tea and toast at 9.30, took my own bg at 11.20pm it was 9.3 and remained high all night and following morning was still 8.3 so drank water to bring it down. This was mentioned to consultant who said see your own doctor in a weeks time to get your bgs under control so you can heal properly he casually mentioned that this sometimes happens. With the drinking water i managed to gets my bg down to 4.3 and now im home its all back under control. I cant fault the dedication of the staff but the total lack of understanding totally amazed me , when they did my bg and it was high they were saying it was great is that usual or is that being being a newbie ive no idea. Im now attached to a surgical drain for a few days and in loads of pain but im at home and can eat properly because you cannot always eat hospital food when you have diabetes purely because of the carb content although they do their best.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear it's all over.

Higher blood glucose readings are quite common when under stress and in unusual environments. They can also be a bit higher whilst you recover from the surgery.

Hospital food surely isn't usually the best thing for us, but thankfully you weren't in long.

If the higher numbers continue, then a chat with your Doc is in order, but if they snap back to where you usually see them, then it's probably just one of those things.

My own blood sugars are usually very stable, but for me, stress is a factor, so I would have expected my numbers to be running a bit rich in the circumstances you describe.

I hope your recover goes well and the drain can come out soon. Any indication how long you'll be tethered to it?

Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, @merlin 2 . According to your profile you are diet only, is that right? If so, it's not expected low blood sugars are a problem, and going as low as 3.5 is normal in non diabetics. There really wouldn't be a safety reason to monitor your bg around your operation.
The 9.3 after the op wasn't a dangerous level so I understand they were happy with that. Looks like it has come down to normal levels as well :)

Hope you'll recover quickly!

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear it's all over.

Higher blood glucose readings are quite common when under stress and in unusual environments. They can also be a bit higher whilst you recover from the surgery.

Hospital food surely isn't usually the best thing for us, but thankfully you weren't in long.

If the higher numbers continue, then a chat with your Doc is in order, but if they snap back to where you usually see them, then it's probably just one of those things.

My own blood sugars are usually very stable, but for me, stress is a factor, so I would have expected my numbers to be running a bit rich in the circumstances you describe.

I hope your recover goes well and the drain can come out soon. Any indication how long you'll be tethered to it?
lol im tethered until friday and what you say makes total sense im always glad for any information and its greatly received. And yes stress was the one thing i struggled to control so yes that makes sense as well. bg are going down well so just taking easy with my very attractive surgical stockings, Planning a little stroll later just to get some fresh air, once again thankyou x

Reactions: Antje77 and DCUKMod

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, @merlin 2 . According to your profile you are diet only, is that right? If so, it's not expected low blood sugars are a problem, and going as low as 3.5 is normal in non diabetics. There really wouldn't be a safety reason to monitor your bg around your operation.
The 9.3 after the op wasn't a dangerous level so I understand they were happy with that. Looks like it has come down to normal levels as well :)

Hope you'll recover quickly!
Yes i am diet only and i didnt know that 3.5 is normal in non diabetics but it makes total sense now youve explained it. I think because i hadnt eaten or drank for so long i was possibly (probably) really stressing and what. you say makes total sense. I m always greateful for any advice and the logical explanation that i get. My bg is going down well and drain is coming out on friday so onwards and upwards, going for a slow stroll later just need some fresh air. Thanks again x

Reactions: Bluetit1802