acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Onions, tuna, rude people,
Hi all,

Had a bowl of no added sugar Alpen. Before breakfast, my sugars were 10.6 mmol/l, 2 hours later 18.8 .

Learning curve but wondered if anyone else has had this type of reaction?

Take care

Reactions: kitedoc

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine most of us would. Far too many carbs, especially for breakfast with a starting figure as high as yours was. Did you read the nutrition label to see the total carbs figure?

I find a next-to-no carb breakfast is best for me. Eggs, or just a decaff coffee with double cream and I am fine until lunch time.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, it says on the bag that it has 65 grams of carbs per 100 grams, so a rise would be expected. It's ALL carbs that makes bg go up, not just (added) sugar.

Reactions: acerimmer
M

Member496333

Well, it says on the bag that it has 65 grams of carbs per 100 grams, so a rise would be expected. It's ALL carbs that makes bg go up, not just (added) sugar.

Indeed. People are often [understandably] under the impression that complex carbs aren’t sugar. Complex carbs are just polysaccharides, and every single last molecule is broken down into a monosaccharide (glucose) by the time the metabolism is finished with it. Sure, it takes longer, but that’s of minimal benefit for someone who already has insulin resistant diabetes.

So yeah, in my humble opinion, avoid Alpen .

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Been there, done that - got a similar BG reaction. I even did it again a few years later with the same outcome. As you say, it's a learning curve.

My favourite was a big bowl of steaming porridge on a cold winter morning.

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been there, done that - got a similar BG reaction. I even did it again a few years later with the same outcome. As you say, it's a learning curve.

My favourite was a big bowl of steaming porridge on a cold winter morning.
Yum yum

Reactions: Chook

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same, but for left over dinner from last night and I pay for the consequences after. I had left over rice yesterday morning and shot up from 9.6 to 14.6, yikes. but it was delicious :hungry:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want a crunchy, but low carb cereal type breakfast, Google low carb granola recipes, there’s loads out there.
I have low carb coconut porridge (not a grain in sight!) everyday for breakfast with strawberries and cream, total around 7g carbs.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everyone is different of course, but myself I love a bowl of porridge in the morning and the way I make it - it never spikes me. Sure it goes up - eating generally does that regardless - but not much or for long. I think the key is high quality ingredients with little processing. I always use pinhead (steelcut) oats and add cacao nibs and ground linseed and water - then put in the nucrawave for around 6-8 mins (watching that they dont boil over!) stiring frequently. They are more chewy than rolled oats and the cacao nibs add a bit of crunch.

Generally a healthy breakfast (I think) and as it is, doesn't spoke my sugars at all. Of course I do often add dried cranberries (small spike) or fresh blueberries (even smaller - more acceptable spike) so there are variations depending on what you need.

Having said that, of course Diabetes is not "one" disease and what works really well for one person may not work for others.

Reactions: acerimmer

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh - I love Alpen (the full sugar version). But yes, I imagine it would do the same to me. I haven't had cereal for suuuuch a long time. Last time I did, I had Special K and... my post-2hr reading was over 21. I've never seen my meter go so high....

Was just ruminating how I'm fed up with eggs. I'm eating celery with various toppings on it. And looking longingly at the bagels that my kids are eating.

D

Deleted Account

As there are many things which can affect our BG beyond what we eat, if something I eat has an unexpected BG result, I will repeat the experiment in case the rise was caused by stress or illness or something else.
As others have said, given the high carb content of Alpen, the rise is not so much of a surprise so, in your shoes, I would not repeat it but don't be afraid to try other things twice or three times to check your findings.
Regarding Alpen, your breakfast was not wasted if you put it down to a chance to learn ... and it's great to learn.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mmhh...Alpen..sounds healthy don't it.
But not for me sadly.

Others covered it well, but I'd suggest you also measure out what IS considered a healthy portion by the "manufacturers" of such healthy foods.

Might be surprised it's little more then a
Mouse's droppings.:***:

..and then you still got to add milk..(full fat :D )...

As a fellow type 2...its
Egg n bacon.
Or scrambled egg n avocado
Or Greek yoghurt n blueberries,
Thats my breakfasts sorted.;)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oooh - I love Alpen (the full sugar version). But yes, I imagine it would do the same to me. I haven't had cereal for suuuuch a long time. Last time I did, I had Special K and... my post-2hr reading was over 21. I've never seen my meter go so high....

Was just ruminating how I'm fed up with eggs. I'm eating celery with various toppings on it. And looking longingly at the bagels that my kids are eating.

Celery n peanut butter, for me was a surprising hit.:)

Reactions: kitedoc

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Everyone is different of course, but myself I love a bowl of porridge in the morning and the way I make it - it never spikes me. Sure it goes up - eating generally does that regardless - but not much or for long. I think the key is high quality ingredients with little processing. I always use pinhead (steelcut) oats and add cacao nibs and ground linseed and water - then put in the nucrawave for around 6-8 mins (watching that they dont boil over!) stiring frequently. They are more chewy than rolled oats and the cacao nibs add a bit of crunch.

Generally a healthy breakfast (I think) and as it is, doesn't spoke my sugars at all. Of course I do often add dried cranberries (small spike) or fresh blueberries (even smaller - more acceptable spike) so there are variations depending on what you need.

Having said that, of course Diabetes is not "one" disease and what works really well for one person may not work for others.
Thank you, I shall give that a try.

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

What's celery lol

Reactions: Traceymac23

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mmhh...Alpen..sounds healthy don't it.
But not for me sadly.

Others covered it well, but I'd suggest you also measure out what IS considered a healthy portion by the "manufacturers" of such healthy foods.

Might be surprised it's little more then a
Mouse's droppings.:***:

..and then you still got to add milk..(full fat :D )...

As a fellow type 2...its
Egg n bacon.
Or scrambled egg n avocado
Or Greek yoghurt n blueberries,
Thats my breakfasts sorted.;)
I've been having Greek yogurt for desserts with a chopped banana. I do have a cooked breakfast more regularly. Am getting a bit sick of eggs lol, need to be more creative.

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As there are many things which can affect our BG beyond what we eat, if something I eat has an unexpected BG result, I will repeat the experiment in case the rise was caused by stress or illness or something else.
As others have said, given the high carb content of Alpen, the rise is not so much of a surprise so, in your shoes, I would not repeat it but don't be afraid to try other things twice or three times to check your findings.
Regarding Alpen, your breakfast was not wasted if you put it down to a chance to learn ... and it's great to learn.
Thank you for that. Yes im defo gonna stay way from Alpen. Fair point about stress and illness related sugar spikes.