Diagnosed with type 2 yesterday, bf dumped me

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@HSSS Re the boyfriend (think it’s safe to officially call him ex now after our super salty text exchange last night) I reckon you’re right. I bought a stationary bike last night. I’ve been meaning to start cycling again (New Years resolution) but have been too freaked out after a few hair raising experiences with cars (I’m a nervous rider). So my GP telling me to start exercising again ASAP was a kick up the bum I needed. :) ANYWAY. I texted him if he’d help me get it to my place and he texted back “sorry but you’re on your own”!!! (I could have taken the high road, but I told him thank you and to go have intimate relations with himself.) Fortunately the seller only lives a couple of suburbs away and was happy to help me for a few extra dollars.

@Traceymac23 Inside Out is one of the Pixar movies, you know, the animation studio who did Toy Story, Finding Nemo etc. Its set inside a teen girl’s head and all her driving emotions are personified as little characters, Joy, Anger, Sadness, etc. :)

@Resurgam LOL I don’t puke because I think it makes me pretty, it’s an (unhealthy) way of dealing with anxiety and stress. Like I say I’m a lot better than I was, and know to be aware and try not to let all this diabetes stuff trigger me.

@set-in-stone Thanks so much - everyone’s got great advice. I’ve been awake all night reading and worrying but I know that’s probably pretty normal after receiving the news! My GP is actually pretty good and I don’t think she’s going to be shamey. When she weighed me she was clearly surprised and said I didn’t look that weight, and the goal she’s given me to get down to is very realistic and not scary. She apologised that we couldn’t go over everything properly until two weeks later and the last thing she said as I left was “This isn’t a death sentence, it’s not the end of the world. It can be a good thing, it’s a wake up call.”

Reading my way through the entire Type 2 backlog here and seeing some of the appalling treatment others have had with the health service, I know and feel lucky.

I’m going to buy a monitor and the bits and pieces today. :)

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually I think you’ve struck very lucky with the gp, actually recommending low carb and giving good sensible advice, yes a shame about the 2 week wait but you also have us here now and have already identified the single best thing you can do, ie reduce carbs.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@Adm_Mad I'm glad that you have that support and having a meter is such a boon so well done you for taking charge there too!

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
@HSSS Re the boyfriend (think it’s safe to officially call him ex now after our super salty text exchange last night) I reckon you’re right. I bought a stationary bike last night. I’ve been meaning to start cycling again (New Years resolution) but have been too freaked out after a few hair raising experiences with cars (I’m a nervous rider). So my GP telling me to start exercising again ASAP was a kick up the bum I needed. :) ANYWAY. I texted him if he’d help me get it to my place and he texted back “sorry but you’re on your own”!!! (I could have taken the high road, but I told him thank you and to go have intimate relations with himself.) Fortunately the seller only lives a couple of suburbs away and was happy to help me for a few extra dollars.

@Traceymac23 Inside Out is one of the Pixar movies, you know, the animation studio who did Toy Story, Finding Nemo etc. Its set inside a teen girl’s head and all her driving emotions are personified as little characters, Joy, Anger, Sadness, etc. :)

@Resurgam LOL I don’t puke because I think it makes me pretty, it’s an (unhealthy) way of dealing with anxiety and stress. Like I say I’m a lot better than I was, and know to be aware and try not to let all this diabetes stuff trigger me.

@set-in-stone Thanks so much - everyone’s got great advice. I’ve been awake all night reading and worrying but I know that’s probably pretty normal after receiving the news! My GP is actually pretty good and I don’t think she’s going to be shamey. When she weighed me she was clearly surprised and said I didn’t look that weight, and the goal she’s given me to get down to is very realistic and not scary. She apologised that we couldn’t go over everything properly until two weeks later and the last thing she said as I left was “This isn’t a death sentence, it’s not the end of the world. It can be a good thing, it’s a wake up call.”

Reading my way through the entire Type 2 backlog here and seeing some of the appalling treatment others have had with the health service, I know and feel lucky.

I’m going to buy a monitor and the bits and pieces today. :)

I'll try and check it out.......good luck with the monitor......and remember to factor in price and availability of STRIPS......that's where the long term costs lie

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, 35 year old woman in Australia, diagnosed yesterday with type 2, and this is my obligatory introductory post. :) No idea how long I've had it, and no idea what my blood stats are, as my GP didn't have time to go over all of that, she did an on the spot finger prick and it was 12 point something which she said confirmed what the blood results were

I went to my GP to change my birth control as I was having some irregular bleeding, and she ordered some general blood tests. She called me yesterday asking me to make an appointment to see her and I was able to take some time off work. She told me the high blood sugar levels show I have type 2 diabetes, which isn't surprising as I am overweight and do eat sugar, but I haven't noticed any the symptoms such as thirst, blurred vision (or maybe I did and just didn't know as I've worn glasses for short sightedness since I was eight and maybe my prescription changing slightly in the last seven years was because of diabetes) or slow healing sores, etc. But I know that not everybody gets the symptoms though, and the blood doesn't lie. :)

My GP didn't have enough time to talk to me properly yesterday so made a long appointment for two weeks time, and said in the meantime to cut out all sugars and carbs, including all fruit except maybe an apple every few days, and any artificial sweeteners. She said she wasn't going to put me on Metformin immediately, and I don't know any of my blood count details, I assume we'll be going over that in a fortnight. (She also said to cut out all salt but I'm not going to do that, sorry, because I researched last night and it looks like salt doesn't raise blood sugar it's just worries about hypertension which I don't have, and I know I will not be able to commit to changing how I eat if I have to cut out all flavouring and just eat unseasoned vegetables for the rest of my life.)

When I told my boyfriend he broke up with me, saying how disgusting and unhealthy it was and he couldn't be attracted to me or be with me anymore. So I'm going to see at the next appointment whether my doctor says I'll be able to manage with just exercise and diet and if so I'm going to keep this a secret as I really can't deal with the shame and stigma right now. My mother thinks I'm enough of a failure as it is, LOL.

It looks like when you have type 2 pretty much any health problems you have are linked back to that, so I'm guessing that was what the bleeding was. And my now ex BF told me that when I had an "over the top" reaction if he did something I didn't like, that was clearly because of the diabetes because type 2 makes you have mood swings and be irrationally angry. I'm still in shock over the break-up so haven't had time to think about whether that's true and all our fights have been because I was diabetic and didn't know it so just over-reacted when he would say he was going to do things and didn't do them, or lied to me, or criticised me, etc.

I was up until 3 this morning browsing through this forum, very glad it exists! :)

what a boyfriend..:sour:. and sad to hear that you have no support .. stay with us in here , here you can learn to really control this condition...

TrevorFisher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, 35 year old woman in Australia, diagnosed yesterday with type 2, and this is my obligatory introductory post. :) No idea how long I've had it, and no idea what my blood stats are, as my GP didn't have time to go over all of that, she did an on the spot finger prick and it was 12 point something which she said confirmed what the blood results were

I went to my GP to change my birth control as I was having some irregular bleeding, and she ordered some general blood tests. She called me yesterday asking me to make an appointment to see her and I was able to take some time off work. She told me the high blood sugar levels show I have type 2 diabetes, which isn't surprising as I am overweight and do eat sugar, but I haven't noticed any the symptoms such as thirst, blurred vision (or maybe I did and just didn't know as I've worn glasses for short sightedness since I was eight and maybe my prescription changing slightly in the last seven years was because of diabetes) or slow healing sores, etc. But I know that not everybody gets the symptoms though, and the blood doesn't lie. :)

My GP didn't have enough time to talk to me properly yesterday so made a long appointment for two weeks time, and said in the meantime to cut out all sugars and carbs, including all fruit except maybe an apple every few days, and any artificial sweeteners. She said she wasn't going to put me on Metformin immediately, and I don't know any of my blood count details, I assume we'll be going over that in a fortnight. (She also said to cut out all salt but I'm not going to do that, sorry, because I researched last night and it looks like salt doesn't raise blood sugar it's just worries about hypertension which I don't have, and I know I will not be able to commit to changing how I eat if I have to cut out all flavouring and just eat unseasoned vegetables for the rest of my life.)

When I told my boyfriend he broke up with me, saying how disgusting and unhealthy it was and he couldn't be attracted to me or be with me anymore. So I'm going to see at the next appointment whether my doctor says I'll be able to manage with just exercise and diet and if so I'm going to keep this a secret as I really can't deal with the shame and stigma right now. My mother thinks I'm enough of a failure as it is, LOL.

It looks like when you have type 2 pretty much any health problems you have are linked back to that, so I'm guessing that was what the bleeding was. And my now ex BF told me that when I had an "over the top" reaction if he did something I didn't like, that was clearly because of the diabetes because type 2 makes you have mood swings and be irrationally angry. I'm still in shock over the break-up so haven't had time to think about whether that's true and all our fights have been because I was diabetic and didn't know it so just over-reacted when he would say he was going to do things and didn't do them, or lied to me, or criticised me, etc.

I was up until 3 this morning browsing through this forum, very glad it exists! :)

TrevorFisher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Your ex bf is a jerk, as has been previously mentioned.
Carbohydrates are your enemy now. So reduce as much as you can all intake of bread, rice, pasta, potatoes & and other starchy vegetables.
Your gp might not agree, but do your research.
Exercise is a must, every day
Whilst doing your research, look up famous diabetes sufferers, it will prove to yourself that it’s not necessarily your fault. Athletes get it as well!!
Do not blame yourself, treat the illness with respect and you can live a normal life.

TrevorFisher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Your ex bf is a jerk, as has been previously mentioned.
Carbohydrates are your enemy now. So reduce as much as you can all intake of bread, rice, pasta, potatoes & and other starchy vegetables.
Your gp might not agree, but do your research.
Exercise is a must, every day
Whilst doing your research, look up famous diabetes sufferers, it will prove to yourself that it’s not necessarily your fault. Athletes get it as well!!
Do not blame yourself, treat the illness with respect and you can live a normal life.

Make changes to your diet now before seeing go