Blood Glucose Meter

Mccormick69

Hi there I have been told I have prediabetes and the GP wants me to monitor my Blood Glucose levels. Can anyone tell me the best and most accurate one to buy? I would prefer to get one that would give similar results to the doctors.

D

Deleted member 308541

Can anyone tell me the best and most accurate one to buy? I would prefer to get one that would give similar results to the doctors.
I use a Abbott Freedom Lite which is similar in accuracy against other meters I have checked it with.

I did not have to pay for it as it was free from Abbott.

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
It might be worth asking your doctors as they are often given them free by companies. The companies make their money from the test strips, not the machines. Bit like the razor blade and inkjet printer business model.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very impressed at your dr’s recommendation for a prediabetic to monitor.

As others have said it’s the cost of strips that you need to focus on. Some companies will even send you a free meter if you call them in order to get your business.

I use an accucheck mobile with bluetooth adaptor. I also have a contour next as backup. I use mysugr app to record the data. Without using the data the meter provides there’s little point in testing. Some like a good old fashioned notebook, other do very elaborate, or simple, spreadsheets as well as various apps.

Are you in the UK?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You only need one meter but you will need many thousands of testing strips, so please be careful before you buy. Strips cost anywhere between around £7 for 50 strips to £30 or more. The ones with the cheapest strips, which are very popular on this forum, are the Codefree and the Tee2. They are available on line.
Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2+ is here
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Be aware that free meters are usually only free because the strips are expensive - that is how the suppliers get their money.

All meters have to achieve the same accuracy standards before they can be marketed.
  • Within± 0.83 mmol/L of laboratory results at concentrations of under 5.6 mmol/L
  • Within ± 15% of laboratory results at concentrations of 5.6 mmol/L or more
You need one that reads in mmol/l if you are in the UK and certain other countries, and mg/dl if in the States and certain other countries. You will soon learn there are a lot of different measurement units, which can be very confusing.

Personally I use the Accu Chek Mobile by Roche with a Codefree as a back up. They are convenient and easy to use, but the replacement strips are about £25 for 50, so not cheap.

Once you get your meter we can help you use it to your very best advantage.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_