Airline Diabetic food!

GOJONES

I recently flew on Etihad Airlines and requested a Diabetic meal (I'm type 1) I was surprised to see that I was given chicken in a sauce with rice and a bread roll followed by mixed fruit. Has anyone had a similar experience. I can't believe I was given a Carb loaded meal!

Colette21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got the same on Emirates flight GoJones. A complete disregard of what a Diabetic meal should be! I looked at the passengers food beside me-low carb! And that was a regular meal. No longer will I ask for a special diet.
Best thing we can do is either make and take or buy from the cafe before boarding.
I did this for the return trip and asked the steward if he could refrigerate it for me. No problem at all. As I was assisted we had quite a conversation about the food. He was very knowledgeable. A pity the kitchen ground staff didn't have his expertise.
I'm Type 2, but you being Type 1 were put in a very compromising position.
Make a Formal Complaint.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The question is....What is diabetic food????
I am type 1 and basically eat what I want as long as I carb count and give myself the right amount of insulin all is well. Maybe you should have asked for low carb food?????

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Singapore airline once served me a decent sized piece of chicken and a few baby potatoes. Not terribly carb heavy. That is the only time I had a diabetic meal on a flight.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I've never bothered to ask for an airline diabetic meal, since the day I was given a plate full of starchy carbs followed by grapes. I just take whatever they offer and eat what I can. Mind you, I'm T2, so it's less of an issue.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
To be honest, I've never bothered to ask for an airline diabetic meal, since the day I was given a plate full of starchy carbs followed by grapes. I just take whatever they offer and eat what I can. Mind you, I'm T2, so it's less of an issue.
I would say it is more of an issue with T2 than T1. Carb count the carbs and inject....as long as your carb counting and carb ratio is correct you will be fine

Reactions: jay hay-char

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't blame the airlines. Blame the people who advise them. I still have the DUK booklet that my DN gave me when i was diagnosed. It states that when flying you can have usually have a standard meal but you should ask for an extra bread roll to provide essential carbs. Yep, even at diagnosis I knew that wasn't a wise thing for a T2 to do.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yep, my wife stipulated it once, many years ago on a Gulf air? Flight to India....

They sort of prioritised me & I was served first too... Which made me feel really "special." :sorry:

Never again. :banghead: Still they gave it thier "best shot." ;)

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But what exactly IS a diabetic meal? No such thing. I can eat whatever I want to if I choose to. There are meals that are more suitable to those of us with diabetes, yes. Diabetic specific meal? No.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But what exactly IS a diabetic meal? No such thing. I can eat whatever I want to if I choose to. There are meals that are more suitable to those of us with diabetes, yes. Diabetic specific meal? No.

I think they (airlines) generally mean something with no added sugars and low on refined carbs. But yes it isn’t a diabetic meal...maybe a diabetic friendly meal

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
It will have been low in sugars and processed fats and carbs. Low carb is not the diabetic diet. It is a popular diet among diabetics at this point in time but that does not make it THE rules.

Reactions: Shas3

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Don't blame the airlines. Blame the people who advise them. I still have the DUK booklet that my DN gave me when i was diagnosed. It states that when flying you can have usually have a standard meal but you should ask for an extra bread roll to provide essential carbs. Yep, even at diagnosis I knew that wasn't a wise thing for a T2 to do.

It would be in case the stress and time of travel caused a drop in your glucose levels as was common before insulins were more specific and we had pumps for type ones ect. They make sure you have enough carbs to prevent hypos which you can then choose to leave to the side.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be in case the stress and time of travel caused a drop in your glucose levels as was common before insulins were more specific and we had pumps for type ones ect. They make sure you have enough carbs to prevent hypos which you can then choose to leave to the side.
I agree that the advice is for people who use insulin but the booklet didn't say that.

Zaeeryas

I recently flew on Etihad Airlines and requested a Diabetic meal (I'm type 1) I was surprised to see that I was given chicken in a sauce with rice and a bread roll followed by mixed fruit. Has anyone had a similar experience. I can't believe I was given a Carb loaded meal!
I've eaten without flying.

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
When I was first diagnosed with T2 11 years ago I ordered a diabetic meal on my next flight. It had rice and other no-no's for me so I ate my way around those items that I felt wouldn't be good for me. Since then I choose from the onboard menu and pass over to my wife those items I should resist, such as grapes. Of course, if you can afford to fly Business Class on long haul flights you have a wider choice of menu and I would recommend it. Just put those items you know will elevate your BS to one side.