Hypos and Marching Band

H_Cs

Hey fellas! So I am in a marching band at my school, which requires us being outside for about three-four hours every two days during the fall marching. Last year, I started to notice that I was getting very shaky and dizzy while doing band, and thought that it was from not enough water intake. I went to my band director and asked him about it and he said it could be from low sugar, and asked if I had any problems. To be truthful, I have thought that I was diabetic before through several bad symptoms, but I was kind of "shut down" on that idea, but now I am starting to wonder again. I might ask the school nurse about it, hah. But, is it possible to have such lows every time I march? And marching season is about to start up again, so I'm nervous this may happen again. I need to act upon something. Any advice? Thanks.

D

Deleted Account

If I read your message correctly, I don't think you have been diagnosed with diabetes so should not be taking any medication which can cause your blood sugar to go low.
If you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, your blood sugars would be high rather than low unless you were taking something like insulin.
I certainly recommend talking to your school nurse and maybe carrying some food with you on your march. But this does not sound like diabetes to me.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @H_Cs and welcome :)

I have come across a few non-diabetics who can experience feelings of low sugar, a friend's son goes very quiet after sport and quite pale, however if he has a sugary drink or glucose so sweets like jelly babies, then he picks up fairly quickly, i've given him my glucotabs in the past and that's helped pick him up. Non diabetics can experience low blood sugar, I was once at a rowing event and a girl participating had just finished a race, she was shaking really badly and almost passed out, she was given a mars bar and picked up soon afterwards. It's wise to see your doctor and get a check up, but if worried then carry some sugar/glucose on you that's easy to access and use this.

Reactions: Bon83

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey fellas! So I am in a marching band at my school, which requires us being outside for about three-four hours every two days during the fall marching. Last year, I started to notice that I was getting very shaky and dizzy while doing band, and thought that it was from not enough water intake. I went to my band director and asked him about it and he said it could be from low sugar, and asked if I had any problems. To be truthful, I have thought that I was diabetic before through several bad symptoms, but I was kind of "shut down" on that idea, but now I am starting to wonder again. I might ask the school nurse about it, hah. But, is it possible to have such lows every time I march? And marching season is about to start up again, so I'm nervous this may happen again. I need to act upon something. Any advice? Thanks.

You need to ask your nurse or doctor to help you discover what's making this happen.

H_Cs

Okay. I did have my blood level checked out in a doctor's appointment, and they said it was normal. I'm probably just worrying over nothing, but I like to say better safe than sorry. It's just weird to be the only one that feels that way after I march. I'll ask the nurse today. Thanks a bunch!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you experiencing a number of similar episodes after band practice or any other form of exercise, I would ask your doctor to have another look at what is going on.

There are a number of conditions that have normal blood glucose levels and symptoms that you describe. It depends when you test your blood sugar. It would not show, if it is in a doctor's office because you have not done the exercise before you were tested!

I have read about children's and young adults having similar episodes and usually they outgrow the symptoms and be unaffected in adult life.

But, it is wise, to not ignore the symptoms!

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

WGG

I am type 2, but have experienced low blood sugar many times, I confirmed this by taking my blood sugar readings. My Diabetic Nurse does not know why I get them, I went on Metformin to see if it would help, it did seem to stabilise the problem but not completely stop the occurrences.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @H_Cs and welcome :)

I have come across a few non-diabetics who can experience feelings of low sugar, a friend's son goes very quiet after sport and quite pale, however if he has a sugary drink or glucose so sweets like jelly babies, then he picks up fairly quickly, i've given him my glucotabs in the past and that's helped pick him up. Non diabetics can experience low blood sugar, I was once at a rowing event and a girl participating had just finished a race, she was shaking really badly and almost passed out, she was given a mars bar and picked up soon afterwards. It's wise to see your doctor and get a check up, but if worried then carry some sugar/glucose on you that's easy to access and use this.
This is true a friends sister completed a half marathon and just had a small normal meal after. In the middle of the night 3 am (when most people diabetic or otherwise experience a light drop in bg) she awoke sweating excessively, shaking and dizzy- she had to eat two choc bars before she felt better. Nutrition is a factor for everyone. However you can suffer from excessively low blood sugar - so you should get some tests done to be safe

H_Cs

Thanks so much, you guys. I have been wondering if it's something like Reactive Hypoglycemia, because of when and how it happens. I'll feel so out of it and shaky after band, but it can also happen if I have not eaten in a while. It's scariest while driving. I might try to buy something to check my sugar with when I feel like this, and then write it down in a log with symptoms? And then tell my regular GP. And btw I did go ask my school nurse about it and she was like "prob tell your parents and then get it checked out."

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks so much, you guys. I have been wondering if it's something like Reactive Hypoglycemia, because of when and how it happens. I'll feel so out of it and shaky after band, but it can also happen if I have not eaten in a while. It's scariest while driving. I might try to buy something to check my sugar with when I feel like this, and then write it down in a log with symptoms? And then tell my regular GP. And btw I did go ask my school nurse about it and she was like "prob tell your parents and then get it checked out."

Yes, us brits call it, a food diary!
It will help you and your doctor with getting to the cause.

Do you have the symptoms when you wake up?
I would advise not to drive with the symptoms.

Do you miss meals? How long after not eating do you feel symptoms?

But, do see your doctor.

Best wishes

H_Cs

Yes, us brits call it, a food diary!
It will help you and your doctor with getting to the cause.

Do you have the symptoms when you wake up?
I would advise not to drive with the symptoms.

Do you miss meals? How long after not eating do you feel symptoms?

But, do see your doctor.

Best wishes

Actually, yes, sometimes. Mainly when I wake up I get dizzy when I stand from bed and I can feel the blood rush from my head, but there have been times where I wake up and feel nauseous and shaky. It goes away after 15-20 minutes of eating and then I'm okay. To answer the other questions, I try not to miss meals, but when I do the symptoms start slowly but become vicious. Let me tell you, one time I skipped breakfast and felt horrible for the whole entirety of the day and most of the night. I did try to eat a bit ( jolly ranchers and an oreo-not the best choice...). Let's just say. I try not to miss meals!! :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Actually, yes, sometimes. Mainly when I wake up I get dizzy when I stand from bed and I can feel the blood rush from my head, but there have been times where I wake up and feel nauseous and shaky. It goes away after 15-20 minutes of eating and then I'm okay. To answer the other questions, I try not to miss meals, but when I do the symptoms start slowly but become vicious. Let me tell you, one time I skipped breakfast and felt horrible for the whole entirety of the day and most of the night. I did try to eat a bit ( jolly ranchers and an oreo-not the best choice...). Let's just say. I try not to miss meals!! :)

You definitely need to see your doctor, whilst I cannot diagnose you, those symptoms you describe are probably not diabetes or RH.
You would not get symptoms like that with RH!
There are similarities, but with RH in my experience, your blood sugar levels on waking would not drop. I fast regularly, I feel better not eating. RH is a condition that food effects your blood glucose levels.

Please do go and see your doctor.
Something, which I have no idea, is happening and causing the symptoms.

Best wishes.

H_Cs

You definitely need to see your doctor, whilst I cannot diagnose you, those symptoms you describe are probably not diabetes or RH.
You would not get symptoms like that with RH!
There are similarities, but with RH in my experience, your blood sugar levels on waking would not drop. I fast regularly, I feel better not eating. RH is a condition that food effects your blood glucose levels.

Please do go and see your doctor.
Something, which I have no idea, is happening and causing the symptoms.

Best wishes.

I will definitely do this, and I might try looking into Addison's Disease a bit more. Mimics diabetes symptoms but includes the low blood pressure thing I mentioned earlier. Thank you =-)

Reactions: Lamont D

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've type 1, I find when I eat an egg and ordinary tinned baked beans in tomato sauce, e.g.; Heinz/ bachelors/ Lidl brand I keep very stable blood sugars for the next 5+ hours (not lentils/chickpeas or anything). I eat this an hour or 2 before walking. This meal gets me thru 20 km hill walks without very low blood sugars. I think it's worth a try. Do bring some sugary jellies with you too tho, I'm not sure are you drumming or doing physical display, you might need to look at how to feed an aerobic workout.

H_Cs

I've type 1, I find when I eat an egg and ordinary tinned baked beans in tomato sauce, e.g.; Heinz/ bachelors/ Lidl brand I keep very stable blood sugars for the next 5+ hours (not lentils/chickpeas or anything). I eat this an hour or 2 before walking. This meal gets me thru 20 km hill walks without very low blood sugars. I think it's worth a try. Do bring some sugary jellies with you too tho, I'm not sure are you drumming or doing physical display, you might need to look at how to feed an aerobic workout.

Most definitely physical. Marching band for me, a mellophone player, is four/five hours of walking or doing visuals on a bumpy grass field under the sun. Fun times. ;)

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You'll need to be eating cement to stabilise your bloods!! I wonder if you put out a request on a local forum, is there a diabetic in the area with a spare meter and test strips, if you have a minutes break maybe do a test or 2, see if your blood sugar is under 4...

H_Cs

You'll need to be eating cement to stabilise your bloods!! I wonder if you put out a request on a local forum, is there a diabetic in the area with a spare meter and test strips, if you have a minutes break maybe do a test or 2, see if your blood sugar is under 4...

So I do have a meter I bought and it came with a lancet device, lancets... but, stupid me forgot to buy test strips haha. I'm going to try to get them soon, and I have a sort of plan(?) to get into talking with my doctor about whatever's going on. It does seem like a good idea to put out a request, thanks.

H_Cs

What do your parents say, @H_Cs ? Please talk to them about this.

So, I did talk to them about the issue last year when I thought I had diabetes, but I was really nervous to, but they did not really do anything about it. The following GP visit, I talked to my doc about it, and she tested for something to do with my thyroid and my "blood." Not my A1C, I believe, and I never received the numbers. It didn't make sense because I still wasn't feeling well, so I may try to ask my doc about it again. I just feel like my parents would be mad at me if I talked with them again.