Blood sugars

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
That's a great question......I'm a big coffee drinker and would like to know which types are better/worse than others?

Reactions: kitedoc

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to find coffee whether it is black or with plant based milk and zero net carbs sugar free syrup, my BG goes up ever so slightly. nothing as bad as full on carby breakfast.

D

Deleted Account

As we are all different, the question should be "does coffee raise my blood sugar?"
I guess others can share their experience to give you some guidance but testing is the only way to know what happens for you.

Coffee of any form would have an impact on my blood sugars because I am intolerant to it.
I can confirm that black tea and herbal tea have no impact.

And, talking of coffee, I notice the Swiss no longer think it is essential: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-47898537 : although some may disagree :)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It seems to make mine go up a bit if consumed on an empty stomach. Black less so, with cream, about the same as black and cappuccino most definitely. So, I drink mine with something to eat like cheese or something fatty or with a meal.

Doesn't mean it will effect you the same way or anyone else for that matter.

Wanna find out? Drink and test.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Ronnie_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
does coffee raise blood sugars

Costa coffee etc is shocking. Steer well clear of that and machine coffee etc. I was fine 6.4 when tested, having had breakfast about an hour previously. Then I stopped on my journey, had a costa coffee, americano, from a machine at a petrol station and about half an hour later I’d gone up to 12.5 and climbing! Had to inject ☹️

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Costa coffee etc is shocking. Steer well clear of that and machine coffee etc. I was fine 6.4 when tested, having had breakfast about an hour previously. Then I stopped on my journey, had a costa coffee, americano, from a machine at a petrol station and about half an hour later I’d gone up to 12.5 and climbing! Had to inject ☹️

Yes Ronnie. The coffee out of the machines are truly vile. But I also think there are some types of black coffee sweeter than others so tend to frequent the independent coffee shops. I avoid instant coffees as they tend to raise my sugars a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronnie_dog
M

Member496333

There is some opinion out there that caffeine can raise blood glucose. The theory seems sound, but personally I think you’d have to drink rather a lot of coffee in order to measure any real effect.

Whatever else goes in your coffee is of course another matter. I use double cream and it doesn’t seem to affect me.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I drink coffee black, no sweetener and it has no effect on my sugars. I love Costa coffee - again black, no sweetener, and that's fine too. What does an Americano have added to it? Is it just milk?

Reactions: karen8967
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am mainly a tea drinker, but I do drink some coffee, with a small amount of milk, same with tea and no rise in BS for me.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I drink coffee black, no sweetener and it has no effect on my sugars. I love Costa coffee - again black, no sweetener, and that's fine too. What does an Americano have added to it? Is it just milk?

Here you go @WuTwo :-

Caffè Americano
Drink
Description
Caffè Americano or Americano is a type of coffee drink prepared by diluting an espresso with hot water, giving it a similar strength to, but different flavor from, traditionally brewed coffee. The strength of an Americano varies with the number of shots of espresso and the amount of water added. Wikipedia

Main ingredient: Espresso, Hot water
Serving temperature: Hot
Variation: Long black
Uniqueness: Brewing espresso with added hot water
Region or state: Italy, Latin America

Reactions: WuTwo

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
does coffee raise blood sugars

A good question which I’ve been trying to figure out the answer to. Sometimes I think it does raise my bg and other times it doesn’t seem to. I guess it’s difficult to ascertain if it’s just the coffee when it goes up - could be any one of a dozen other factors - exercise, the stress of a big spider running accross the floor etc. In that 2 hr gap before testing we are rarely just sitting in a neutral state.
It’s interesting that some people have found Costa coffee affects them.
I find that tea, even with milk never affects bg.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@Robinredbreast - Thanks! I think I'd like that one. Wouldn't mind testing it a few times to see what it does to my sugars. The bookshop in my town serves Costa Coffee; what a happy thing :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink black coffee and dont get a rise and i get through about 8 cups/mugs a day i drink black tea also 2 mugs a day and i get a slight rise with this

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m ok with coffee or tea. If I’m at home I sometimes have a Latte from my Tassimo machine and I’m fine with that too. I also get the milk pods and make hot chocolate by adding green and blacks cocoa powder.

Ronnie_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes, it must be the milk. Probably a powder milk. Sadly. Don’t like black coffee.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only drink decaff tea with a dash of milk, and occasionally decaff coffee either black if out and about, or with double cream when at home. It doesn't affect me. I agree it is more likely the caffeine raising the adrenalin that causes a rise.