Latest Libre news

kevan9369

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Iv been thinking of trying Libre but I do martial arts and not sure how the sensor would hold up against strikes both structurally and the adhesive?
Does anybody have any experience?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi
Iv been thinking of trying Libre but I do martial arts and not sure how the sensor would hold up against strikes both structurally and the adhesive?
Does anybody have any experience?
I have placed the sensor on the inner thigh near the groin area, works for Karate. I think if you do grappling there is little chance of using a Libre; I asked my wife a former GB team member, she says a sensor would not last a "proper" session.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Hi I was wondering if anyone else has same problem as me I have been on libre trial and done education programme and finally okayed to receive libre on prescription. However 1st prescription went in on January 9th and still waiting for my libre. the pharmacy say manufacturing problems. have tried all local chemists to buy to no avail. I used to self fund and I am back doing that straight from libre wich is a pain they r expensive so I try for 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off cant afford continual Is anyone else in same boat ??? I guess all areeas r different and is a lottery postcode.
I have been doing the same thing since January, 2 on/2 off because of the cost. I am trying to get my health plan to pay for them and waiting to hear back. I suspect the answer will be no because the public health plan does not accept them in the area I live. Pushing them as well. This is the price of success.

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, went to my local Asda this morning to purchase a couple of sensors, to be told by the pharmacist that they were out off stock and he didn't know when he could get any more. He blamed the high numbers of sensors being prescribed by some Doctors/Consultants, who were prescribing as many as 24 sensors at a time for some patients ! He said Abbott had informed him that he had exceeded his monthly allocation and that he should consider stopping selling the sensors and just supply NHS prescriptions. When I told him that one would do to keep me going, he managed to "find" one in a drawer that he let me buy.
It looks like Abbott are having real problems maintaining the demand for these, who knows what will happen after April 1st although both my G.P. and Consultant believe that prescribing will tightened up rather than more people being allowed them on the NHS.
Dear Copernicus ,sorry But I think you are going in the wrong direction by blaming Abbott .I had a discussion with Abbott following a delay of 12 days in delivery of an order .It was explained that ,due to the UKs Brexit uncertainty,Abbott were having to reassess their priorities on Libre deliveries .It appears that yet another untruth regarding this governments statements on health ,and we diabetics are again at the suffering end .Wjohn

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Whist the cost to the NHS for diabetes is about 10% of its budget, most of that is in treating type 2 Diabetes not type 1. I quote
  • The current cost of direct patient care (treatment, intervention and complications) for those living with diabetes is estimated at £9.8 billion (£1 billion for type 1 diabetes and £8.8 billion for type 2 diabetes). So we poor type 1's cost a hell of a lot less than type 2's who could actually in most cases prevent themselves ever getting diabetes.

motherT1D

Hi, for contact sports the nurse at the hospital recommended one of those "captain" armbands football players use, they can be as tight as you want and with the Libre what matters is that you have your arm crossed when you apply it, or it won't adhere well. My son had his arm down when a trainee put the sensor and because the arm was "flacid" it didn't grip well and fell off ater a couple of days.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Whist the cost to the NHS for diabetes is about 10% of its budget, most of that is in treating type 2 Diabetes not type 1. I quote
  • The current cost of direct patient care (treatment, intervention and complications) for those living with diabetes is estimated at £9.8 billion (£1 billion for type 1 diabetes and £8.8 billion for type 2 diabetes). So we poor type 1's cost a hell of a lot less than type 2's who could actually in most cases prevent themselves ever getting diabetes.

I agree, and funding for the NHS has taken a hit too.
Also, IMO, there might be less call on tax-payers’ money if there were more regulation of foods available in supermarkets, prices charged, and fast food outlets per square mile. It’s a shame that the consumer is so often blamed for the results of their purchases.
I think the libre is a part of today’s T1 kit and like Becca says it helps to keep us all healthy.

*Braces for onslaught, builds fallout bunker*

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to add that I am very grateful for the NHS, however we don't know or some of us might know how much the UK is getting in terms of income, exports, imports etc. We only hear our NHS having their funding cut and other social services. As much as I love the libre and want everyone to have access to libres, we still need test strips in case of sensor failures and having to double check when we are unwell, hyper, hypos, all in all it doesn't replace finger pricking and sometimes the accuracy is off. I did experience a sensor failed on me and test strips came in handy, also when ASDA didn't have any in stock. I agree things like libres and pumps keeps us functioning, but I have seen some people who don't give a toss about their sensor readings and abusing the pump, when some of us generally need them and would like to have it as well. However, I want type 1 diabetes to have full access to insulin pumps or to at least have that choice, and we are always lagging behind Europe in terms of diabetes technology.

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My local ASDA often has none in stock if I just turn up, but now I've started calling ahead they can always order a few in for me within 2-3 days.

I'm very surprised they haven't increased the price to match others. I called round loads of places and ASDA offers them £15 cheaper than the next-cheapest I could find.