On the bright side---- An extended wardrobe!

John J

Since I was diagnosed, I've already lost about one and a half stone(On purpose) but would be happy to lose a bit more weight still to get below the 13 stone mark which would be within the higher range of of my ideal weight range. Hopefully before Christmas... Mmm :roll:

Anyway, I have already found that I can now fit into many of my old clothes while those I've been wearing in recent months have become much more comfortable(Daresay, I can always alter the waistline of some pairs of trousers if they get too loose).

One good thing too is that many of my older garmets are actually in very good condition. Some were hardly ever worn and while they are obviously not the height of fashion, I don't think that matters too much at my age. :) So, I'm still quite happy to wear most of them.

Any more positive experiences you've had out there?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I was quite sad to have to dispose of some expensive clothes which are now too big. Luckily for me, there's someone in my locality who is my current size and very extravagant. I have picked up some top quality brand new clothes at the charity shop.
I looked up some of the garments on the web and found the original prices. WAY above what I could have afforded. Designer stuff, with the labels still in.
Hana

Rushy

I have to say that the simple task of buying clothes is far easier when you aren't a size that is only sold in two or three high street chains...
One day... One day, I'll shop in any store I like!

Elwood

That's brilliant on all counts. It doesn't matter where you buy your clothes so long as you like what you buy. And here's me having made 3 extra holes in my belts cos I can hardly keep my trousers up. I think I may go copy you and start afresh!

goldfish_21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Congratulations on your weight loss and extended wardrobe!!

I'm in a similar boat, having lost two stone since my heaviest (a stone since diagnosis), and still have one and a half ish stone to go.

I have had a bit of a wardrobe clearout this week as I've found I can now fit into some size 16 trousers that I bought off the internet only to find at the time that I could barely zip them up and certainly couldnt move in them without the risk of bursting a seam lol. They now fit perfectly, and my old size 18's look like baggy clown trousers, so have thrown out all work trousers that are a size 18. (not like me, normally would keep them 'just in case', but not this time). As you say, a really positive experience and a way of looking forward. I have a whole drawer of clothes that I used to wear when 11 stone and couldn't bear to throw away as I love them. And I don't care either that they're not exactly the height of fashion and that I may look odd in them, being now a whole decade or more older than when I originally bought them, but I WILL wear them again :)

Feeling quite motivated now. Next challenge is finding some exercise I can do without putting pressure on my feet (neuropathy and other issues makes standing and walking painful). Swimming not possibe- I sink. Am sure my old Cher vid from the early 90's has a stretchy band floor workout section. That can be my job for the day - find and investigate, and maybe even do some exercise!

Vicky

frenchkittie

Yep, the wardrobe side of diabetes was an unexpected plus.

Over the years I had put on a few pounds (as you do when you hit 50). I was still in the normal BMI range, but my figure was not what it used to be. I then lost about 1 and a half stones rather quickly leading up to being diagnosed type 1 in 2009. Since diagnosis I have put back on a few pounds, but am now the same size and weight as I was at 18, size 10 to 12.

Obviously I won't now be wearing the clothes that I wore then, but being a bit of a hoarder I do have clothes dating back many years that I can fit into with ease, and "vintage" is all the rage now :)