A quick question about Dexcom G5

RobertSK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Anti-maskers and Anti-Vacc people.
Hello, I just replaced my G5 sensor after 2 weeks and I was wondering if any other G5 users here have gone 3 weeks or more before replacing the sensors?
I’m retired and trying to stretch the lifespan of the sensors as long as possible (I’m in a squabble with my wife’s insurance company about coverage) because we pay $340.00 cdn for 4.

Thanks

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can’t vouch for G5 sensors as I use G4 , but it’s my understanding that the sensors are the same.
I , on average get around 22 days out of each sensor. Just reboot it every 7 days until it starts playing up.
Record for a sensor lasting is 45 days, it just kept going. Worse sensor lasted about 9 days and failed.
When they start failing I usually keep them on for another 24 hrs, quite often they start working again, if only for a day or so.

RobertSK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Can’t vouch for G5 sensors as I use G4 , but it’s my understanding that the sensors are the same.
I , on average get around 22 days out of each sensor. Just reboot it every 7 days until it starts playing up.
Record for a sensor lasting is 45 days, it just kept going. Worse sensor lasted about 9 days and failed.
When they start failing I usually keep them on for another 24 hrs, quite often they start working again, if only for a day or so.

Wow! 22 days is incredible. I will try and restart the sensor at the 14 day mark and see if I can get the same performance .

BTW, I’ve noticed the sensor readings get closer to the meter readings in the second week and I have no clue why. Any ideas?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! 22 days is incredible. I will try and restart the sensor at the 14 day mark and see if I can get the same performance .

BTW, I’ve noticed the sensor readings get closer to the meter readings in the second week and I have no clue why. Any ideas?
It can take a few days for the sensors to settle down. I think it may have something to do with us introducing an alien body into our own body and the reaction this causes around the implant site.
But, yes I do notice that readings become closer over the course of time, generally 4/5 days for me.

RobertSK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
It can take a few days for the sensors to settle down. I think it may have something to do with us introducing an alien body into our own body and the reaction this causes around the implant site.
But, yes I do notice that readings become closer over the course of time, generally 4/5 days for me.

Thanks for the information! I’ll let you know how things go with extending my sensor life .

Reactions: therower