Type 1 Rising blood sugars during the night

Beery

So last night and a couple of nights ago I had some food about 2 hours before I went to sleep, I checked my blood sugar just before I went to sleep and it was sitting at 6.9 and it had held steady since I began eating. I went to sleep and woke up in the morning to find that my blood sugar was around 15, I know that this was not caused by my overnight dose as whenever I don’t eat before sleeping my bg is fine. It could maybe be my ratios before sleeping but I thought I would have rose by the 2 hour mark after eating. I have however noticed that around the time I fall asleep my bg shoots up rapidly.

D

Deleted Account

What did you eat?
I ask because I experience similar BG rises if I eat something carby and/or fatty like pasta or curry and need to split my insulin dose.

The two hour advice is an estimate for most foods. However some, especially carby and fatty foods, will take longer to digest and impact our BG.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya @Beery

I see from your previous posts that you're type 1 so taking insulin, so are you on multiple daily injections and carb counting ?

If this was me, I would be reviewing what I ate on the last meal, if it's high fat then this would delay the carb absorption hence the rise during the night, I also find if I eat a heavy late night meal and it contains high protein like steak I also get the same effect, I try always to eat at least 3-4 hours before bedtime to ensure foods digested and my before bed reading shows a result with no 'active' insulin on board.

The other thought process is the dawn phenomenon and the liver dumping glucose into your system. The easiest way to check this is to set your alarm for 3am and do a blood test then, if you've held steady up until this point then it's not your evening food activity, it would point to the liver dump in the morning if you again wake high.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't eat pizza or ice cream before bed otherwise it's a 3am high - and i feel hungover the next day.

Beery

For the most recent one I had some birthday cake so I imagined I would be able to notice a rise quite quickly. As for the other time it happened this week I had a pizza at around 6pm and didn’t see the rise until I was sleeping after around 11/12 pm without having anything after the pizza.

Eveytoz

I am a type 1 diabetic have been for 24 years amd on insulin. I have recently had
My second child, all through
Pregnancy I was so tightly controlled and now I can’t get under control which really worries me. I’m going to bed on 8/9 and getting dawn rise phenomenanon waking with 20+ I don’t know what to do I have an app with nurse in couple of weeks but she has said in mean time carry on as normal anyone offer any advice???

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I am a type 1 diabetic have been for 24 years amd on insulin. I have recently had
Pregnancy I was so tightly controlled and now I can’t get under control which really worries me. I’m going to bed on 8/9 and getting dawn rise phenomenanon waking with 20+ I don’t know what to do I have an app with nurse in couple of weeks but she has said in mean time carry on as normal anyone offer any advice???

I too am struggling with overnight highs. The Libre shows that it starts around 3am and so far the only thing I've found that's really effective (for me), is to go very low carb for the evening meal.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Maybe ask your nurse about your long-acting insulin doses first ??