Metformin / Kidney probs

kay64red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I sent a message in July were I stated that I had found out I had started to have kidney problems. I am Type II and have been taking 3 full strength Metformin tablets now since I was first diagnosed some years ago along with 3 x 2mg Glimperide tabs per day. I heard on the grapevine and confirmed on your Forum that Metformin was not a medication that would be advised now I have got kidney probs. I was concerned at confronting my doctor who happily agreed that I should come off my Metformin, however the tab he replaced it with was just one tablet Pioglitozone to take in the morning and to carry on with the Glimperide, however this has meant my sugar count has reached higher than I have ever had it 20 plus when my highest has only been 12. The doctor did take some time in deciding which would be suitable and I wonder what will happen now! :crazy:

Morganator

It could be possible that you have not been taking it long enough, when my consultant prescribed it he told me it could be 3 to 6 months before I notice a obvious difference.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
I sent a message in July were I stated that I had found out I had started to have kidney problems. I am Type II and have been taking 3 full strength Metformin tablets now since I was first diagnosed some years ago along with 3 x 2mg Glimperide tabs per day. I heard on the grapevine and confirmed on your Forum that Metformin was not a medication that would be advised now I have got kidney probs. I was concerned at confronting my doctor who happily agreed that I should come off my Metformin, however the tab he replaced it with was just one tablet Pioglitozone to take in the morning and to carry on with the Glimperide, however this has meant my sugar count has reached higher than I have ever had it 20 plus when my highest has only been 12. The doctor did take some time in deciding which would be suitable and I wonder what will happen now!

Do you know your eGFR?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on Actos for quite a while, and I found it to be reasonably useful at reducing bgl levels, but it did take a while to kick in.

Metformin, however has very limited effect on reducing blood glucose. I was on full strength 4 tabs a day of Met, and when I was stopped from taking it, I only rose by about 2 mmol/l max. and that I easily counteracted with slight diet adjustments. The trials done for the FDA certification by the manufacturer showed the maximum benefit of full dose was less thn 3 mmol.l and is typically only 1 or 2 at best for most people. I doubt that your sudden rise is due to stopping the metformin, but possibly may be connected to kidney filtration being weaker.

I must warn you that Pioglirizone is from the same family of meds that Avandia(rosiglitizone) was and that was shown to be the causative factor in increased risk of stroke and other cardio problems. Avandia has been banned in this country, and Actos is also banned in most countries except England. But NICE has it listed as a second stage medication, and can be used where Metformin is not tolerated. I have to warn that I had two strokes while on Actos, and have come off it immediately after release from hospital. The NICE guidelines do not warn GPs of any risk, so they remain in the dark when prescribing it. You may wish to do some research into this medication.

Since my subsequent heart attack, which may or may not be related, I have followed a Low Carb way of life, and I found diet was the most effective tool I could use for controlling blood sugars. It suits me, but does not suit everybody, but at the sort of BGL figures you are reporting here, then some research into diets may be helpful, especially in light of the recent kidney problem. The less burden you put on the kidneys the better I would surmise, and reducing glucose is a good goal to aim for.