Dieting

HuNTeR124

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There's no world peace. Crime, Misogynist and Misandrist.
Hi everyone, I'm a type 1 diabetic with ceoliacs (can't eat Wheat or Gluten). I have a high cholesterol and am underweight (46kg / 101lbs). The fact that I can't eat gluten makes my diet very hard as I have to restrict most things from my diet. I am struggling significantly and want to be able to gain weight and lower my cholesterol. And as a diabetic, this is extremely difficult trying to gain weight, maintain my sugars and lower my cholesterol.

Most things I need contain high in fatty foods, I understand that there are good fats and bad fats but despite them being good, it's still not good for my cholesterol. I also get very bad reflux/heart burn as I am sensitive to most foods.

Can someone please give me advice or a link on how to bypass this continues cycle of high cholesterol and being underweight?
Thank you.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m a type 2 so coming at this from a different perspective. Have you seen the thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/.

The old and typical advice to avoid saturated fat with regards to heart health, cholesterol and weight loss is being widely questioned,debated and refuted by the medical profession. Dr Aseem Malhotra, a highly regarded cardiologist is just one of these. One example of that is how advice that eggs should limited then that was revoked. Dietary fat/cholesterol has little negative effect on heart health apparently.

Ronnie_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I'm a type 1 diabetic with ceoliacs (can't eat Wheat or Gluten). I have a high cholesterol and am underweight (46kg / 101lbs). The fact that I can't eat gluten makes my diet very hard as I have to restrict most things from my diet. I am struggling significantly and want to be able to gain weight and lower my cholesterol. And as a diabetic, this is extremely difficult trying to gain weight, maintain my sugars and lower my cholesterol.

Most things I need contain high in fatty foods, I understand that there are good fats and bad fats but despite them being good, it's still not good for my cholesterol. I also get very bad reflux/heart burn as I am sensitive to most foods.

Can someone please give me advice or a link on how to bypass this continues cycle of high cholesterol and being underweight?
Thank you.

The autoimmune paleo diet would be a good place to start. There are some good cook books too.

Mykota

Nutritional Keto is also good for type 2. But needs to be used in cooperation with a clinician with Keto knowledge for type 1

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you.
@HuNTeR124 I’m Type2 diet controlled so really cannnot advise you but I’ve tagged @Robinredbreast who is Type 1 coeliac who may be able to advise.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Thank you.

Thank you @Daphne917
Hi @HuNTeR124, Are you on any medication for your conditions, if not, II would go and see your GP, who may refer you to the hospital, as you are quite underweight and with a few medical symptoms.
A gluten free diet is not difficult, but, first finding about the foods to keep away from is an eyeopener, but I eat normal diet, I like homemade curry, meatballs, spag bol, casseroles, roast dinner's, I eat lots of veg, cooked and raw, I like fruit, fish, eggs, salads, cheese and seeds too. Have you contacted your diabetes team about your problems ?
I hope you can get the correct treatment with right support to help you, as you are clearly struggling, take care.

Reactions: Daphne917