Hba1c for pregnancy?

8bitkitty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there

I’ve been told that if I want to start trying for a baby I need my hba1c down to 6.5% or lower.
Mine is currently 7.9%.

Can anyone please share your experiences on getting pregnant with type 1 diabetes? And also if anyone has had any successful pregnancies with a higher Hba1c than 6.5%?
I’m really scared to even fall pregnant as I hear so many tragedies.

Thank you!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @8bitkitty, I had my daughter 18 years ago at the age of 42 1/2 years, I call it my best diabetes moment ever.
Hopefully some other member's who have recently had babies, will be better at helping you with your question. I do remember my BS was very low at times, with very little Insulin and higher too, with much more Insulin. Good luck
RRB :)

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello there

I’ve been told that if I want to start trying for a baby I need my hba1c down to 6.5% or lower.
Mine is currently 7.9%.

Can anyone please share your experiences on getting pregnant with type 1 diabetes? And also if anyone has had any successful pregnancies with a higher Hba1c than 6.5%?
I’m really scared to even fall pregnant as I hear so many tragedies.

Thank you!

I’d say don’t be scared but also do your best to get your HbA1c down to reduce the risks. I got mine down from 8.6 to 6%, got the green light from my consultant and am now 28 weeks pregnant with a consistent HbA1c and good control.